Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Will the Supposed Veteran D That We're Targeting Please Stand Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm fine doing a Hamonic like overpay for Faulk at this point.

When it comes to the U23 group, this team's deep enough to absorb the loss, and having Faulk for the full year would limit how high those picks would be.

Klefbom/Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Faulk
Nurse/Klefbom-/Jarabek/Benning/Garrison/Gravel
I think that would be excessive. The Oilers aren't close enough to really merit giving up that much value on a short term fix. Regardless of where those picks are located in the draft, if we're not deep in the mix for a Cup over those two seasons, I don't see the value in giving up that much just to try to pull into middle of the pack.

We're not a trade away from being a contender, barring a surge from multiple unexpected sources.

If you can get Justin Faulk for a reasonably low price, sure. But it was the same idea when it came to Karlsson--those are spent assets if that player walks at the end of his deal. And odds are he does.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Probably safest to imagine the Oilers are going do something like move Puljujarvi for Pysyk?

Edit: or do we hope for Puljujarvi and Nurse for Severson and Wood?

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Dustin Nielsen was saying that he has heard the Oilers are in on a couple veteran dmen with some higher salaries this morning on the radio that can be had cheaply (his exact words - "cheaply"). He said the one name that is most out there is J. Faulk.

Says he's heard the deal would be a 2nd rd pick and a veteran forward from the Oil.

So my guess is:

2nd rd pick + Kassian
for
Faulk

Edit: I'll add that he said it wouldn't be done until Sekera can be put on LTIR

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dustin Nielsen was saying that he has heard the Oilers are in on a couple veteran dmen with some higher salaries this morning on the radio that can be had cheaply (his exact words - "cheaply"). He said the one name that is most out there is J. Faulk.

Says he's heard the deal would be a 2nd rd pick and a veteran forward from the Oil.

So my guess is:

2nd rd pick + Kassian
for
Faulk
Don't you have to do that and figure out the cap after?

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Don't you have to do that and figure out the cap after?

Yup

I think it makes sense. Kassian's name is floating out there in trade rumors. The Canes did talk about adding more grit to the lineup before the draft so I can see there interest in Kass. They also just lost Rask and Skinner in the offseason so they will definitely be looking for a forward to add.

Faulk is a luxory - an expensive one. Makes way to much sense

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
We should make a trade with the Av's to acquire Ottawa's 1st pick and then deal that pick back to Ottawa in a lopsided trade because they will have a vested interest in coming in last.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

So my guess is:

2nd rd pick + Kassian
for
Faulk

Edit: I'll add that he said it wouldn't be done until Sekera can be put on LTIR
Aren't the LTIR benefits greater if we make that deal before we put Sekera on LTIR? Without Nurse signed, we're still about $4m under the salary cap.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We should make a trade with the Av's to acquire Ottawa's 1st pick and then deal that pick back to Ottawa in a lopsided trade because they will have a vested interest in coming in last.
What do the Oilers have that the Avs would take for that?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yup

I think it makes sense. Kassian's name is floating out there in trade rumors. The Canes did talk about adding more grit to the lineup before the draft so I can see there interest in Kass. They also just lost Rask and Skinner in the offseason so they will definitely be looking for a forward to add.

Faulk is a luxory - an expensive one. Makes way to much sense
I'd pay a little extra and let them retain some cap. They'd probably have to anyway as they need to hit the cap floor

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Nielsen definitely has an inside track, and the Kassian for Faulk proposal ties in to some of the hints Stauffer has been dropping recently. But I wonder who the other defenseman is.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nielsen definitely has an inside track, and the Kassian for Faulk proposal ties in to some of the hints Stauffer has been dropping recently. But I wonder who the other defenseman is.
Probably Karlsson. SJ just wanted to get him so that they can flip him and get a better return than Ottawa.

Reactions: McFuhryous

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
What if Pistol Pete is going after Gardiner, although we do know how much he covets that right shot and proabably wouldnt want Gardiner being a lefty.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I find it weird that the Oilers would go through training camp and cut down to a roster ready for day 1 then trade a roster player + pick to bring in a defence man then send a D man down that most likely thought he made the team... Also they would have to call a forward up that was originally cut...

Just seems super inconvenient. Is there not a way to do this mid camp with the LTIR? Or does it absolutely HAVE to be once the season starts?

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Won't be EK....Wilson is already talking about making sure he extends him (and I know you guys are kidding).

As for potential targets. I'm guessing the Blues as they have a few to many dmen if Schmaltz cracks the lineup. The other guy I'd wager is Ceci. I don't like him at all but based on Melynk's comments about only having 6-7 veteran players returning maybe they look to move Ceci and his expensive salary (I'm also assuming the Oilers were kicking tires on Karlsson and maybe Ceci's name came up after EK refused to waive for us).

p.s. I'm assuming EK refused to waive and that is the only reason he's not an Oiler because EK was the perfect acquisition for this team. And he obviously could have been had for dirt cheap. It's inexcusable that he's not here for any other reason. We have been dying for a #1 dman forever. EK fit our every need to a T. So I'm going with the assumption he refused to waive for Edmonton and that is the reason he's not here.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Won't be EK....Wilson is already talking about making sure he extends him (and I know you guys are kidding).

As for potential targets. I'm guessing the Blues as they have a few to many dmen if Schmaltz cracks the lineup. The other guy I'd wager is Ceci. I don't like him at all but based on Melynk's comments about only having 6-7 veteran players returning maybe they look to move Ceci and his expensive salary (I'm also assuming the Oilers were kicking tires on Karlsson and maybe Ceci's name came up after EK refused to waive for us).

p.s. I'm assuming EK refused to waive and that is the only reason he's not an Oiler because EK was the perfect acquisition for this team. And he obviously could have been had for dirt cheap. It's inexcusable that he's not here for any other reason. We have been dying for a #1 dman forever. EK fit our every need to a T. So I'm going with the assumption he refused to waive for Edmonton and that is the reason he's not here.
I'm not sure he refused to waive. Matty tweeted yesterday that the Oilers were in talks with the Sens about him but the Sens just kept asking for more and more and more...

Its the first news I heard about Edmonton being in the discussion for him so I found it pretty interesting.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I call shenanigans

He played a full 82 last year. How convenient, like Hossa, that his salary is 1M and he needs to hit LTIR
Did you see the video of him trying to walk at the NHL awards? The guys back is totally done. He gave the team everything.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure he refused to waive. Matty tweeted yesterday that the Oilers were in talks with the Sens about him but the Sens just kept asking for more and more and more...

Its the first news I heard about Edmonton being in the discussion for him so I found it pretty interesting.
I'm not sure I believe him.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I find it weird that the Oilers would go through training camp and cut down to a roster ready for day 1 then trade a roster player + pick to bring in a defence man then send a D man down that most likely thought he made the team... Also they would have to call a forward up that was originally cut...

Just seems super inconvenient. Is there not a way to do this mid camp with the LTIR? Or does it absolutely HAVE to be once the season starts?

Teams have done that numerous times in the past with a combination of waiver-exempt rookies and players eligible for LTIR. The exempt players are sent to the AHL and recalled immediately once LTIR has been activated. You just inform the players that it's a paper transaction to be cap compliant.

The Oilers situation is complex because they'll be in Europe to start the season so I wonder if the NHL will force them to actually send the person to Bakersfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad