Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "We Have a Lot of Crap to Figure Out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Drouin is not what the Oil need. We traded Ebs already

How have you watched 163 Oiler games since the Eberle trade and came away with the conclusion Edmonton doesnt need MORE goal scoring. We have 2, maybe 3 players that can score on the entire team. A player like Drouin or Eberle or any warm body would can score is a MAJOR need

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
The smoke around a McDavid trade request is ridiculous and so out of hand. The latest out of Toronto was some d-bag on sportsnet radio saying "I hope McDavid requests a trade, it would be great theatre" with the hostess agreeing with this sentiment. What a dick.

More credible media folks have recently said that people need to pump the brakes. I know people here don't seem to like Dreger but his quote was along the lines of "Toronto cheers for other teams to fail", and suggested that McDavid isn't anywhere near that point yet, with Button agreeing. Rishaug seems to be pretty close to the team and thinks that it'll be another 3 years of failure before he wants out.

I hate how much traction this has gotten at this point and have my fingers crossed that Connor will address the rumours at the end of the season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
After hearing McDavids comments, the reality of him requesting a trade grows. I personally believe this is the last season we have to fix this before a trade request comes :(

He is absolutely requesting a trade within 2 years

T minus 2 years until Oiler fans throw McDavid under the bus like they did with Hall to in 2016

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The smoke around a McDavid trade request is ridiculous and so out of hand. The latest out of Toronto was some d-bag on sportsnet radio saying "I hope McDavid requests a trade, it would be great theatre" with the hostess agreeing with this sentiment. What a dick.

More credible media folks have recently said that people need to pump the brakes. I know people here don't seem to like Dreger but his quote was along the lines of "Toronto cheers for other teams to fail", and suggested that McDavid isn't anywhere near that point yet, with Button agreeing. Rishaug seems to be pretty close to the team and thinks that it'll be another 3 years of failure before he wants out.

I hate how much traction this has gotten at this point and have my fingers crossed that Connor will address the rumours at the end of the season.
Yeah another 3 years of failure makes sense though cause thats the halfway point of his contract and means that the org still can't figure it out. This team SHOULD be able to make playoffs by 2020/2021 season unless they hire another bafoon. If we don't make it by then, we should honestly just fold.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

This song and dance and played out alot of times before. There is a fair amount of smoke, media try and squash it, but in behind the scenes the trade is shaping up anyway. See Karlsson and Subban for too prime examples of alot of smoke, everyone and their dog (including the GM) saying "Oh no way, well never trade that player, thats stupid" only to trade them within a couple months

People need to think about the McDavid situation rationally. You have a potential top 10 player of all time. He is literally wasting his career away in Edmonton. On an organization that has shown absolutely no signs of progress in the past 10 years, and is currently likely going to bring in KEITH GRETZKY as a GM. There is absolutely no way that McDavids camp is going to let him rot away in Edmonton. Zero. Nada. Niltch. That is a legacy that is being completely ruined

Can anyone on HFOil honestly say that if they were a generational player, they would choose to play in Edmonton on the current team. I would forsure as hell he requesting a trade asap. Like imagine you have the potential to be listed with the greats. Win some cups, win some scoring titles, be forever immortalized. Or, you can stay in Edmonton and be great, but a legacy that will be lost or tarnished in history

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Saying you think he is going to absolutely request a trade within 2 years...you are throwing him under the bus already.

Absolutely not, he is perfectly justified to request a trade. He has done everything asked of him here. I will have zero hard feelings when he leaves. Zero of this mess is on him. And good on him for getting out of dodge

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This song and dance and played out alot of times before. There is a fair amount of smoke, media try and squash it, but in behind the scenes the trade is shaping up anyway. See Karlsson and Subban for too prime examples of alot of smoke, everyone and their dog (including the GM) saying "Oh no way, well never trade that player, thats stupid" only to trade them within a couple months.

Earlier you said you were giving it two years. Are you now saying McDavid is looking for a trade now? What do the Karlsson (an impending UFA) and Subban (who didn't ask for a trade) have to do with this situation?

People need to think about the McDavid situation rationally. You have a potential top 10 player of all time. He is literally wasting his career away in Edmonton. On an organization that has shown absolutely no signs of progress in the past 10 years, and is currently likely going to bring in KEITH GRETZKY as a GM. There is absolutely no way that McDavids camp is going to let him rot away in Edmonton. Zero. Nada. Niltch. That is a legacy that is being completely ruined

Pump the brakes a second here.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah another 3 years of failure makes sense though cause thats the halfway point of his contract and means that the org still can't figure it out. This team SHOULD be able to make playoffs by 2020/2021 season unless they hire another bafoon. If we don't make it by then, we should honestly just fold.

This is moving the goal posts down the road a few years. In 2015 when we drafted McDavid, the expectation should have been playoffs at MINIMUM by 2018 or we clear house, Katz looks at selling team

Yet, here we are in 209. In McDavids 4th year, with 2 100 point scorers, spending to the cap, in possibility the weakest division we will see in the next 10 years. And we cant make the playoffs.

Blow the team up, they are never going to make the playoffs. If they cant this year, they wont ever be able to

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

T minus 2 years until Oiler fans throw McDavid under the bus like they did with Hall to in 2016

When did Oilers fans throw Hall under the bus exactly? If I remember correctly the vast majority of Oilers fans wanted him to stay and hated the Larsson deal

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
When did Oilers fans throw Hall under the bus exactly? If I remember correctly the vast majority of Oilers fans wanted him to stay and hated the Larsson deal

You're remembering wrong. The majority opinion was the team needed D and Hall was a loser.

Reactions: space321

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This team needs 3 key pieces to compete for a playoff spot next year (in no order):

1. Scoring winger: Legit top-6 winger that can pot 20-25 goals on the second line to play with Nuge (or Draisaitl). The dream scenario is brining Hall back but I doubt that happens....hope for an Ehlers to shake loose out of Winnipeg, or Nylander from Toronto

2. Top 4 Offensive Defenseman: I'm thinking a Tyson Barrie/Justin Faulk-type. Someone that runs a PP and scoring 15 goals. Dougie Hamilton? Jake Gardiner? in any case, need better puck-moving from the back end.

3. 1B goalie who can play 30-35 games: Anders Nilsson, Cam Ward...some vet that can be counted on to be good for 30 games is absolutely needed.

Obviously the Oilers need to shed cap space somehow because even if these moves are made, they still need to fill in the bottom 6 with fast, cheap skaters who could pop 10-15 goals in a season...Pirri, Carr...someone like that

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This is moving the goal posts down the road a few years. In 2015 when we drafted McDavid, the expectation should have been playoffs at MINIMUM by 2018 or we clear house, Katz looks at selling team

Yet, here we are in 209. In McDavids 4th year, with 2 100 point scorers, spending to the cap, in possibility the weakest division we will see in the next 10 years. And we cant make the playoffs.

Blow the team up, they are never going to make the playoffs. If they cant this year, they wont ever be able to

I'm as big a pessimist as anyone and even I think this is ridiculous. They very likely would have made the playoffs if they hadn't lost two top 4D at the same time for a spell in mid-season. That's gonna f**k any team, but especially a bubble club.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Earlier you said you were giving it two years. Are you now saying McDavid is looking for a trade now? What do the Karlsson (an impending UFA) and Subban (who didn't ask for a trade) have to do with this situation?

Pump the brakes a second here.

Within two years, would be surprised to see it sooner. But two years max

They have to do with the situation because they both had a fair amount of smoke surrounding them, and everyone was claiming the rumors were overblown. Just like McDavid

Like even the Dreger and Rishaugs quotes are hilarious. Saying hes not at that point just yet. As if the Oilers have another place to go other than down.

The Oilers, with 2 100 point players (wont happen again, Draisaitl isnt shooting 20% again with 101 PDO), one of the healthiest rosters in the league, and an extremely weak conference- couldnt make the playoffs, they wont be able to when LD is extremely lucky, the conference is better and we face actual injuries. If Rishuag thinks itll take 3 more years of failure, then sure, lets go with that. An extra season of McDavid

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Absolutely not, he is perfectly justified to request a trade. He has done everything asked of him here. I will have zero hard feelings when he leaves. Zero of this mess is on him. And good on him for getting out of dodge
Saying McDavid is the type to sign a f***ing 8 year contract and then within 3 years want to bail? That's a knock at his character and is pretty rude.

Fine lets blow it up. Trade everyone for picks. Why even try right?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Within two years, would be surprised to see it sooner. But two years max

They have to do with the situation because they both had a fair amount of smoke surrounding them, and everyone was claiming the rumors were overblown. Just like McDavid

Like even the Dreger and Rishaugs quotes are hilarious. Saying hes not at that point just yet. As if the Oilers have another place to go other than down.

The Oilers, with 2 100 point players (wont happen again, Draisaitl isnt shooting 20% again with 101 PDO), one of the healthiest rosters in the league, and an extremely weak conference- couldnt make the playoffs, they wont be able to when LD is extremely lucky, the conference is better and we face actual injuries. If Rishuag thinks itll take 3 more years of failure, then sure, lets go with that. An extra season of McDavid
This is a season where we missed Sekera for most of the year, Klefbom for a healthy chunk, zero real nhl wingers, Larssons play fell down and even with that, we stayed in the hunt for 90% of the season.

McDavids frustrated, he isn't a quitter. He is going to see his contract out.

Reactions: Cypress

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm as big a pessimist as anyone and even I think this is ridiculous. They very likely would have made the playoffs if they hadn't lost two top 4D at the same time for a spell in mid-season. That's gonna f**k any team, but especially a bubble club.

Thsi can be said about the Coyotes who led the NHL in man games lost and lost a variety of top 4 D, top line forwards and a starting goalie. But not about the Oilers. Every team faces those type of injuries.

I am not seeing a team that can use injuries as any sort of excuse

upload_2019-4-5_10-3-13.png

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thsi can be said about the Coyotes who led the NHL in man games lost and lost a variety of top 4 D, top line forwards and a starting goalie. But not about the Oilers. Every team faces those type of injuries.

I am not seeing a team that can use injuries as any sort of excuse

View attachment 209277
Isn't the red in the chart high impact guys injured? Which if so shows we didn't have a ton of man games lost but we had one of the highest for quality of player.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Lucic is sassing Sportsnet over tweets about how bad he plays I think he is fine going absolutely anywhere where expectations arent him being a 60 point player who fights. Ottawa is such a tire fire the spotlight isnt on him but ownership.

Well if he waived to go there than the Oilers are an even bigger fire behind closed doors. It's still a Canadian market at the end of the day and he'll be in the spotlight regardless in my opinion. I also think the Panthers are the perfect landing spot for him. Whether Tallon can convince their ownership to take a chance on him is a whole other thing. Edmonton is going to have to pay double to get rid of their own commodity.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

I would say most Oiler fans didn’t want Hall traded, but thanks for the reminder ——- remember the management suck up contingent that used to post here, forgiving their every blunder and explaining away all the horrors? If all the failure has had one silver lining it’s been shutting up and shutting out that group... “well Hall was probably a locker room cancer so they had to move him” —— WTF???

Reactions: space321

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
For me, Tychkowski had the best take on McDavids comments in his article a few days ago. Couple excerpts..

The comments we heard from Connor McDavid on Monday night in Las Vegas shouldn’t be dismissed as an angry captain venting after a loss. McDavid doesn’t say anything by accident. His comments are always measured and deliberate. He’s the most controlled and laconic interview I’ve ever met. He knows that the minute he says something good it’s going viral and the minute he says something harsh it’s going nuclear.

Full article if you google "tychkowski warning shots".

In short, the takeaway here should probably be that this is a very pissed off guy using the media to send a strong, calculated message to management. He's not asking for a trade and it's anyones guess if/when that happens, but Nicholson and co. should be taking his words very, very seriously.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bless your soul. Hope springs eternal

Btw, requesting a trade from a historically inept franchise is not quitting. It is being smart
It is quitting after he signed an 8 year freaking contract. Signing full term is a sign that the player WANTS to be there. If he was the type to bail at adversity he would of signed short term.

Even if he wants out, the team doesn't have to trade him. He is signed to a contract and we have full control of where he goes, he doesn't. And if he decides to throw a stink (he won't) teams around the league would sour on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad