Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: We Have a Lot of Bottom 6 Forwards Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Who is our 4th best forward? Chiasson maybe? A guy who no one else wanted this off-season.

It's great that he's exceeding expectations and playing above his role, but he is a 4th line player on any other team in the league. I wouldn't call it a hyperbole at all. That's how Chiarelli has built this team.
I think Rieder is a 3rd line caliber player, but other than him I agree with you, we have 3 high quality forwards and predominantly 4th line forwards after that.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Bouchard will be a full time Oiler next season. There is no reason to make a big trade for a right shot, offensive D right now. The smart move would be a stop gap like Mike Green.

Absolutely this. Smart teams do this.
We have traded away too many assets to no results. Lets be frugal with our assets for a while until we can trade from a position of strength.

If the right deal comes along though we make it.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Larsson + 1st + Pulju for Pietrangelo
Too much for a 29 year old.. way too much.

The Oilers have a very good core defense going forward. Klefbom and Larsson are in their mid 20's, Bouchard and Nurse will be there when Klef and Lars are Pietrangelo's age now. No need to make drastic changes. Especially with the cap, this will be a cheap top 4.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Larsson + 1st + Pulju for Pietrangelo
Pietrangelo is a UFA next year. This trade would crush us. If we re-signed Petro, our cap would be hell. If he walked, the cost of acquiring him would be a massive long-term punishment. And Pietrangelo does very little for us in the short-term--especially considering he's currently injured. There's no upside to this trade other than getting the name.

Someone may trade for him this year, but I can assure you it won't be us.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Pietrangelo is a UFA next year. This trade would crush us. If we re-signed Petro, our cap would be hell. If he walked, the cost of acquiring him would be a massive long-term punishment. And Pietrangelo does very little for us in the short-term--especially considering he's currently injured. There's no upside to this trade other than getting the name.

Someone may trade for him this year, but I can assure you it won't be us.

Fair enough but this team needs a legit #1D.

I still wouldn't mind throwing some futures to pair with one of our D for an upgrade.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think Rieder is a 3rd line caliber player, but other than him I agree with you, we have 3 high quality forwards and predominantly 4th line forwards after that.

I think we need to stop over-simplifying how we define what line players we have. We do have a lot of players like Chiasson, Rieder, Cagguila, Khaira, Zykov etc who can play in a top 9 in most teams and succeed. We simply need another player or 2 who has more offensive ability to allow these players to grind it out and bang home rebounds like they do.

Very few teams are built like Boston and Colorado with 3 dominant players on one line.

I'm happy with most of the depth forwards on this team. We just need an upgrade on Spooner and Puljujarvi (or have them figure it out) and we will be fine.

Despite a questionable start and terrible 7 game stretch, this team is still 15-12-2, 1 one point out of the playoffs, and heading in the right direction.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bouchard will be a full time Oiler next season. There is no reason to make a big trade for a right shot, offensive D right now. The smart move would be a stop gap like Mike Green.
Mike Green had a back injury which required surgery. Detroit knew this and still re-sign him. I wonder if they're willing to take a chance at Sekera.

Sekera+Benning+2nd for Mike Green

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think we need to stop over-simplifying how we define what line players we have. We do have a lot of players like Chiasson, Rieder, Cagguila, Khaira, Zykov etc who can play in a top 9 in most teams and succeed. We simply need another player or 2 who has more offensive ability to allow these players to grind it out and bang home rebounds like they do.

Very few teams are built like Boston and Colorado with 3 dominant players on one line.

I'm happy with most of the depth forwards on this team. We just need an upgrade on Spooner and Puljujarvi (or have them figure it out) and we will be fine.

Despite a questionable start and terrible 7 game stretch, this team is still 15-12-2, 1 one point out of the playoffs, and heading in the right direction.

6 points behind the division leaders while only playing 13 out of 29 at home. This team will go as far as our goalies. Mcdavid could get 130 points but it doesn't matter if we're not getting saves.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Charlie Coyle available

Send him over!
Another player who's a year away from UFA.

I'm not against trading for moderate upgrades, but I just don't see the Oilers giving up futures for short term improvements over the next couple seasons. If we're getting an upgrade, I'm looking at players with team control beyond their current deals or players who are signed long-term, who are also under favorable cap hits.

The rentals come when the team has a playoff spot locked down. Even then, we're likely not in the mix for the big names.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
What's the best RD you could get with that package?
We dont have the spare assets to get a true #1RHD and trading Larsson and the rest of that package for Petro with one year left on his contract? Not enough of an upgrade to be worth the cost and the contractual risk.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Coyle would be an excellent acquisition. He would be deadly beside McDavid and Draisaitl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad