Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Waivers Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He's looked amazing in preseason and not Rattie amazing the guy has escapability and puck skill similarily to Panarin and is the one creating grade A chances.
Why are you blaming Vegas? Everyone knew Vegas couldn't afford him and he was on the market. All GMs who had cap room and couldn't beat the offer of 2x2nds are the real losers.

Reactions: Mr Positive

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Gusev has an NHLE of ~80 pts... and as I've said many times NHLE is variable depending on players... but even if Gusev hits say 50 pts.. that's a solid player to plop onto the roster for "nothing" in terms of acquisition cost other than a couple of ok draft picks.

If he does get close to that 80 point mark... it's a home run pick... and a steal for a 2nd round and a 3rd round pick.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Talking to a couple Hawks fans on their board they would do:

Gagner and Pulju
FOR
Zack Smith and Perlini

Perlini is a interesting player he is some one Tipp would know from ARI and he has had 14, 17 and 14 goal years. Now 23 he has Pulju's size but also the same problem he is not physical.

However I think the fact he is used to NA ice and has shown he can still contribute on a third line makes him a better choice for this year than Pulju.

Smith is a third line center who helps us right away in that area. He is no Cave or Haas- he is proven to win face offs and contribute 30 points in this league

Burdasov/Nygard McDavid Draisaitl
Perlini RNH Neal
Granlund Smith Kassian
Jurco Sheahan Chiasson
Two of Archibald Cave Khaira

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Why are you blaming Vegas? Everyone knew Vegas couldn't afford him and he was on the market. All GMs who had cap room and couldn't beat the offer of 2x2nds are the real losers.
They didn't have to get rid of him. He came over for the playoffs and had to sit and watch the team lose the series to San Jose and it resulted in him wanting to leave the organization and they obliged. If cap was an issue they could traded Eakins who is ufa after this year and they would have had enough space to get Gusev at his current caphit. The guy looks dynamic from what I've seen and is able to use his skills to draw a lot of defenders to him and talented enough at passing to find the wide open guy consistently. It is just my opinion but if there was a player to bet on being able to translate from the KHL to the NHL it'd be him for me.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
That doesn’t seem very attractive for the Oilers.

Yeah it's definitely not.

JP over or equal to Perlini but Gagner>>>Smith

Smith doesn't really fill a need enough to take on the extra year.

I'd maybe do Russell for Smith but I might wait for injuries to see if someone will take KR without sending that much term or cap back.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yeah it's just a cap transaction, interesting to see what happens there.

Any new news on why he's not sure if he'll play or not?

I assume (just speculating here) that it's similar to the Andrew Luck retirement in the NFL.

Likely once you get a certain number of $$$$... when you reflect on the risk to reward levels of staying in a sport and potentially destroying your already beaten body even more... retirement seems like the more sensible, logical and prudent option.

We'll likely see more players just seemingly "out of the blue" contemplating retirement after reaching a certain point in their careers where they weigh financial gains vs health/longevity/quality of life issues.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Yeah it's just a cap transaction, interesting to see what happens there.

Any new news on why he's not sure if he'll play or not?

Tom Gazzola made an interesting suggestion that perhaps being as big as he is and the physical rigors of training camp, maybe he'd just prefer to not go through it, and this is the best way without the hockey world calling him a lazy fat ass.

Makes a lot of sense considering this is all happening after they already traded Trouba and let Myers walk. If he was that serious about throwing it in, he probably would have known a while ago

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Tom Gazzola made an interesting suggestion that perhaps being as big as he is and the physical rigors of training camp, maybe he'd just prefer to not go through it, and this is the best way without the hockey world calling him a lazy fat ass.

Makes a lot of sense considering this is all happening after they already traded Trouba and let Myers walk. If he was that serious about throwing it in, he probably would have known a while ago

So either he's being thoughtful and contemplative about his life going forward and how the game of hockey takes it's toll on the mind/body and whether it's worth continuing.... or he's just a lazy fat ass. :)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

He is being called nasty things cause he has a history of not being ready for camp and taking 20 games to get into shape

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Yeah it's definitely not.

JP over or equal to Perlini but Gagner>>>Smith

Smith doesn't really fill a need enough to take on the extra year.

Don't know how anyone can call Gagner a better NHL playe than Smith. Just on the PK he is way more valuable and then add in consistencny and even strength play. Sure he does not have the same skill level but when Gagner is bad he is an AHL level player... when Smith is bad he is at least still helping in other areas of the ice

I'd maybe do Russell for Smith but I might wait for injuries to see if someone will take KR without sending that much term or cap back.

No thanks to trading Russell this year. He is useful as a vet mentor to which ever kid he is going to be paired with. Plus he is also good on the PK.

Also this is a theme I am seeing... Russell is apparently bad... Granlund is apparently bad... no use for Smith. Do fans on this board not know what a penalty kill is? Your team can not be all shooters and danglers there needs to be SOME grit and two way play.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He is being called nasty things cause he has a history of not being ready for camp and taking 20 games to get into shape
When the scale reads 300lbs+ you have to know nasty things will be called against you.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Don't know how anyone can call Gagner a better NHL playe than Smith. Just on the PK he is way more valuable and then add in consistencny and even strength play. Sure he does not have the same skill level but when Gagner is bad he is an AHL level player... when Smith is bad he is at least still helping in other areas of the ice

No thanks to trading Russell this year. He is useful as a vet mentor to which ever kid he is going to be paired with. Plus he is also good on the PK.

Also this is a theme I am seeing... Russell is apparently bad... Granlund is apparently bad... no use for Smith. Do fans on this board not know what a penalty kill is? Your team can not be all shooters and danglers there needs to be SOME grit and two way play.

Never said Gagner was the better player, but he's a significantly better asset for the Oilers.

I'll take Gagner and his expiring contract over 2 years of Smith.

You don't have to think Russell is bad to think he's replaceable or prefer to utilize his cap hit elsewhere and replace him on the bottom pairing.

I don't know why people want to constantly argue that Russell doesn't suck or isn't completely worthless when that point wasn't introduced to the conversation

Argue with me that Russell doesn't suck when I say he sucks.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
You don't have to think Russell is bad to think he's replaceable or prefer to utilize his cap hit elsewhere and replace him on the bottom pairing.

Well said. I’m certain if Russell suddenly found himself an unrestricted free agent, he’d sign and play again in the league.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I hope some of the young players can step up. It seems all around the league teams bring in young guys who fill roles and bring depth year after year. While in EDM it's a merry go round. lol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We should have stepped up and offered a 1st

Lotta teams, including ours, will look very stupid for not offering more for Gusev. Hes not a given, but even a 1st is a reasonable gamble for a potential 80 point player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad