Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "The Final Countdown"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Agreed, I think Campbell will thrive here. Toronto is arguably the toughest market to play in and to be a goalie to top it off? That’s asking for trouble.

I have always been a fan of Campbell. I liked his confidence and swagger going back to his draft year. I remember reading on him and scouting reports and thought he would be a sure thing. Goaltending is weird and development is never linear.

I’m excited for him, I think having him is going to be huge. Also helps he is loved in the dressing room by his teammates, the kind of goalie the players will go to battle for.

I have no issues with Anderson. I actually think he would be a good fit here and pot 30 goals easy. Also don’t think he’s the next Lucic or Clarkson, he can skate way better than they ever could.

The issue I have with Anderson is the asking price and his contract. Trading XB for him already is a stretch but adding that 5.5 mill contract on top? Not sure we are in the position to do that. Would much rather just sign a free agent to that kind of money on shorter term.
Hope your right about Campbell. It was a longggg development curve for him. With goalies, they are so unpredictable so I’m left with just hoping it works.

Anderson to me, has always looked a bit clumsy. He falls down a lot after making a play. His game is based on his speed and size combo. If speed drops he could quickly find himself ineffective. There’s just a lot of risk there, why make the gamble and have to trade for him when the market is chock full of guys that are younger and cheaper that could also pot 30 next to McD.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Hope your right about Campbell. It was a longggg development curve for him. With goalies, they are so unpredictable so I’m left with just hoping it works.

Anderson to me, has always looked a bit clumsy. He falls down a lot after making a play. His game is based on his speed and size combo. If speed drops he could quickly find himself ineffective. There’s just a lot of risk there, why make the gamble and have to trade for him when the market is chock full of guys that are younger and cheaper that could also pot 30 next to McD.

I hope so too. I do still stand by the fact that 5x5 is steep for him but seeing what goalies are getting and going to get paid, I understand it. My biggest concern with Campbell is his ability to stay healthy and play 50+ games. I have full confidence in his ability to be a starter and play well for us.

Agreed. Anderson just doesn’t make any sense in so many different ways, best for Edmonton to steer clear.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I hope so too. I do still stand by the fact that 5x5 is steep for him but seeing what goalies are getting and going to get paid, I understand it. My biggest concern with Campbell is his ability to stay healthy and play 50+ games. I have full confidence in his ability to be a starter and play well for us.

Agreed. Anderson just doesn’t make any sense in so many different ways, best for Edmonton to steer clear.
I have faith in Skinner just in case. But probably Campbell works out just fine for us.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Honestly, right now as an Oiler fan, this is the most optimistic I've been since 2012.

Right now.

Re-sign Kulak, announce Campbell, and I really feel like all Holland has to do is not botch the forwards and we have a shot.

Everyone out the door so far I have no problem seeing go except Kane (but I'm confident we'll replace Kane just fine)

Let's go Oil.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I have faith in Skinner just in case. But probably Campbell works out just fine for us.
I do too, I think Skinner can come in and give us a solid 30ish games. The second we sign Campbell, I expect the split to be 50/30 kind of thing give or take a couple games and that’s kind of the direction the NHL is headed in now.

Biggest thing is we focus on improving our defence. I think our forward group as is already pretty strong. Add a couple more pieces and we are set.

With Campbell signed, priority number 1 and 2 should be fixing our defence IMO.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I do too, I think Skinner can come in and give us a solid 30ish games. The second we sign Campbell, I expect the split to be 50/30 kind of thing give or take a couple games and that’s kind of the direction the NHL is headed in now.

Biggest thing is we focus on improving our defence. I think our forward group as is already pretty strong. Add a couple more pieces and we are set.

With Campbell signed, priority number 1 and 2 should be fixing our defence IMO.
Ideally 4LHD and 1RHD holes can be filled. We’re going to need some extreme GMing to get that done.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly, right now as an Oiler fan, this is the most optimistic I've been since 2012.

Right now.

Re-sign Kulak, announce Campbell, and I really feel like all Holland has to do is not botch the forwards and we have a shot.

Everyone out the door so far I have no problem seeing go except Kane (but I'm confident we'll replace Kane just fine)

Let's go Oil.

I think you have to bring in a top 4 dmen. After watching Colorado and seeing the moves Sakic made to get them to where they are, I think our primary focus should be fixing our defence.

When he brought in Nuke, Kadri, Bura they were all secondary pieces and took off after joining the Avs.

However, Sakic invested in his defence. He drafted Byram high, he brought in Toews, he went out and got Manson. Brought in JJ and even Ryan Murray (though he didn’t play). His focus was on building a strong defence and he did that.

That’s the model I hope the Oil follow.

Reactions: McCombo

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think you have to bring in a top 4 dmen. After watching Colorado and seeing the moves Sakic made to get them to where they are, I think our primary focus should be fixing our defence.

When he brought in Nuke, Kadri, Bura they were all secondary pieces and took off after joining the Avs.

However, Sakic invested in his defence. He drafted Byram high, he brought in Toews, he went out and got Manson. Brought in JJ and even Ryan Murray (though he didn’t play). His focus was on building a strong defence and he did that.

That’s the model I hope the Oil follow.

Ideally, you use the trade deadline and your 1st round pick to get in a top 4 D-man to push Kulak down later.

That would be our "Manson" - I agree though that I'd hope for drafting better D-man in here. If somehow we had a "Toews situation" that could be our cup right there.

Right now, I don't really see who that guy is without destroying your roster/assets.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Well this thread escalated quickly. Hit over 40 pages already. New thread up and running, gang!

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Right now.

Let's go Oil.
Once all the Cap was cleared it was game on for this off season. I was worried we’d regress cause we had some good Cap luck last year with the absolute bargains we got on Smith’s and Kane’s contracts. But if the Oilers play this right and identify the right buy low candidates and mixing it with some proven vets, we could build a Cup contender this year.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Ideally 4LHD and 1RHD holes can be filled. We’re going to need some extreme GMing to get that done.

I don’t even think we need a 1RHD. If we can replace Keith with someone like Chychrun or Provorov, that would do wonders for us.

I like Barrie and think it’s nice having puck moving dmen (that aspect of his game is under appreciated imo) but ideally, if the plan is to have both Broberg and Bouch in the top 6, Barrie needs to go for someone a bit more steady on the backend.

For example, if we get one of Chych or Provorov, we need to likely trade Barrie and replace with Kulak or someone more steady (I have suggested Stralman in the past).

Nurse - Ceci
Chych/Provorov - Bouch
Broberg with either Kulak or Stralman
Nemo as 7th guy.

That defence with just one or two changes looks waaaay better IMO.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Ideally, you use the trade deadline and your 1st round pick to get in a top 4 D-man to push Kulak down later.

That would be our "Manson" - I agree though that I'd hope for drafting better D-man in here. If somehow we had a "Toews situation" that could be our cup right there.

Right now, I don't really see who that guy is without destroying your roster/assets.

I think the closest we will get to finding our Toews is Chych or Provorov. Both players I would gladly take, they have term on their contracts and they have potential to be better than Nurse on a lot of nights. We no longer have a number 1 pairings.

Both first and second pairings can eat up minutes and I like the idea of having Nurse and one of Chych or Provo eating up 40+ mins a game.

Problem with not getting number 2LHD also is we are risking it big time. One injury to Nurse or Kulak and we are screwed

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Yeah it's great and all that Keith retired and we got the cap space but they need to fill that hole at 2 LD now. I want them to bring Kulak back but he should be on the third pair.

If we got our goalie in Campbell I'd like to see that prioritized next.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t even think we need a 1RHD. If we can replace Keith with someone like Chychrun or Provorov, that would do wonders for us.

I like Barrie and think it’s nice having puck moving dmen (that aspect of his game is under appreciated imo) but ideally, if the plan is to have both Broberg and Bouch in the top 6, Barrie needs to go for someone a bit more steady on the backend.

For example, if we get one of Chych or Provorov, we need to likely trade Barrie and replace with Kulak or someone more steady (I have suggested Stralman in the past).

Nurse - Ceci
Chych/Provorov - Bouch
Broberg with either Kulak or Stralman
Nemo as 7th guy.

That defence with just one or two changes looks waaaay better IMO.
A Jets fan offered up Stanley to us for Jesse. I’d do it and fill 2LHD that way. Then whatever we would have traded for Chyc/Provorov ship it for a more 2ish/3ish RHD if there’s one out there.

I like Stanley a lot and converting Jesse into that monster on our D would be a win.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well, considering the shootout save percentage is greater than 50% - I'd say it's bad.

Point's goal he lost the rebound and Moses opened his legs I think:

This was Montreal's second shot of the OT, I think the Leafs had 11 shots this OT. Widely accepted as a bad goal:

This was actually a tough save, 1st shot by Montreal of the OT. He didn't save it though, so he couldn't have done any worse, pretty neutral goal:

Above is Leafs fan (Divine) blaming 3 OT goals on Campbell. And this is why he will thrive out of that environment of blame.

1st goal is a blatant giveaway by Marner and Matthews falling causing a slow line change which contributes to piss poor coverage in the Leafs zone.
2nd goal was a blatant giveaway by Dermott and a screened shot by Holl.
3rd goal is a f***in 2 on 0 the Leafs give up off a horrendous Galchenyuk giveaway that is blamed on Campbell cause “gotta come up with a save”

It’s no wonder Campbell wants out. Give him a fanbase smart enough to appreciate him, and good bye reported “mental issues”.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Above is Leafs fan (Divine) blaming 3 OT goals on Campbell. And this is why he will thrive out of that environment of blame.

1st goal is a blatant giveaway by Marner and Matthews falling causing a slow line change which contributes to piss poor coverage in the Leafs zone.
2nd goal was a blatant giveaway by Dermott and a screened shot by Holl.
3rd goal is a f***in 2 on 0 the Leafs give up off a horrendous Galchenyuk giveaway that is blamed on Campbell cause “gotta come up with a save”

It’s no wonder Campbell wants out. Give him a fanbase smart enough to appreciate him, and good bye reported “mental issues”.
That 2nd goal is a bad goal? Screened shot with a completely obfuscated release point, which also changes direction anyways after it goes off the defenseman's leg? Generally when I think of a bad goal, I think of "unscreened nothing shot from the top of the faceoff circle that the goaltender lets go right through him", not these types of goals.

I'm actually still baffled two years later that a team can give up a 2 man breakaway from the before the red line in overtime too.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That 2nd goal is a bad goal? Screened shot with a completely obfuscated release point, which also changes direction anyways after it goes off the defenseman's leg? Generally when I think of a bad goal, I think of "unscreened nothing shot from the top of the faceoff circle that the goaltender lets go right through him", not these types of goals.

I'm actually still baffled two years later that a team can give up a 2 man breakaway from the before the red line in overtime too.
I see Leafs choking as usual on all 3 goals and leaving Campbell out to dry.

Someone’s got to be blamed though. Might as well put it on the Goalie since their golden boys are too expensive to blame.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I see Leafs choking as usual on all 3 goals and leaving Campbell out to dry.

Someone’s got to be blamed though. Might as well put it on the Goalie since their golden boys are too expensive to blame.
Oh yeah, absolutely, terrible giveaways and poor defensive coverage on all three goals.

At the very least, Campbell will be used to it when he comes to Edmonton considering the Oilers have their own issues with consistently playing defense and managing the puck :laugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, absolutely, terrible giveaways and poor defensive coverage on all three goals.

At the very least, Campbell will be used to it when he comes to Edmonton considering the Oilers have their own issues with consistently playing defense and managing the puck :laugh:
One thing about this generations Oilers is they like to pick a theme and stick to it in terms of improvement. I could see Limiting goals against as the theme to focus on, and we clean that shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad