Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "The Final Countdown"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
I keep reading from Leafers about the Oilers tampering in regards to Campbell. Isn't the procedure the same as in prior years, where teams are allowed to contact UFA's the day following the entry draft?

There's conflicting info out there. Puckpedia still says one day after the Draft, but THN wrote a detailed article back in 2020 about how that was no longer a thing. Still another blog says teams can no longer talk detailed contracts, but "can speak with agents to get a general sense of term and desired salary ranges". I would lean towards that last one given how much info is already floating out there about pending deals, but if anyone has a definitive source I'd love to see it.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I would personally like to see anywhere from 3 to 5 of the following players be Oilers by the end of free agency as reclamation projects (I would sign all of them at1 year 1 mil deals if there was no contract limit lol). My personal picks would be: Sonny Milano, Dylan Strome, Ryan Donato, Haydn Fleury, Brett Howden

Brendan Guhle, Jacob Larsson, Sonny Milano, Sam Steel
Kyle Capobianco, Christian Fischer
Henrik Borgstrom, Dominik Kubalik, Dylan Strome
Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Kevin Stenlund, Gabriel Carlsson
Olli Juolevi
Brendan Lemieux
Kale Clague, Rem Pitlick
Michael Dal Colle
Adam Gaudette, Colin White
Danton Heinen
Jonathan Dahlen, Nicolas Meloche
Dennis Cholowski, Ryan Donato, Haydn Fleury, Daniel Sprong
Ondrej Kase
Brett Howden
Ilya Samsonov
Evgeny Svechnikov

Lebrun also liked the tweet making me think he's hearing the same thing, so he's probably off the market.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I remember reading the free agent negotiation window was rescinded in 2020. Players can talk with each other, however. There's nothing stopping Hyman from passing messages about the outlines of a potential deal between Campbell and Holland. The Oilers just can't force him to do it.
Hmm, didn't Hyman visit Edmonton with his family in the week prior to UFA period opening last year?

Have seen a few mentions similar to what this site is suggesting:

"2022 NHL free agency will open on Wednesday, July 13 at 12 p.m. ET. Some action can (and will) take place before then, though. Pending free agents can talk to teams starting on July 9, the day after this year’s NHL draft."

I keep reading conflicting reports, as I thought it had been rescinded as well.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Ceci, Barrie, Hyman, and now future teammate in Campbell.
Just gotta get out of the hellhole that's called the Toronto Maple Laffs.

Auston Matthews will clearly be sick of choking in the 1st round once again next season and request a trade to his childhood favorite team in the Arizona Coyotes.
No way he wants to go to coyotes.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hmm, didn't Hyman visit Edmonton with his family in the week prior to UFA period opening?

Have seen a few mentions similar to what this site is suggesting:

"2022 NHL free agency will open on Wednesday, July 13 at 12 p.m. ET. Some action can (and will) take place before then, though. Pending free agents can talk to teams starting on July 9, the day after this year’s NHL draft."

I'm pretty sure that's only because he was given permission to talk to other teams by the Leafs.

Reactions: bellagiobob

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022

I'd put money on LA if there was a prop bet out there for it. Kopitar's contract expires the same summer and the Kings will only have Doughty making more than $8M at that point. It's a natural fit for a player who likes to be the center of attention while still playing in a world-class city with a nice climate. I foresee them dropping $14M on him within minutes of FA opening in 2024.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'm not 100% sure Gregor knows for certain that Manson is going back, but from what I've seen on twitter, it looks more likely he will go back there. He just had a baby born not too long ago, so it makes sense. He's one of those American players that I see that would always prefer playing in the States over Canada anyways.
Not sure I would call him a typical American player, as he was only born in the US as his dad played hockey there at the time. He has dual citizenship, and has often said he feels more like a Canadaian, as that is where all of his family is based, and he spent most of his formative years here.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Trading for Josh f***ing Anderson and giving them a pick? It's Keith all over. Look at what the blackhawks do with other teams in trades.

Holland quit bending over.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
wooosh-dumb.gif

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Maybe wait till it actually happens before you whine about it.
But why? Whining is so much more satisfying. Especially when youre in a cave and never realized giving up what amounts to nada for a good 2nd pairing D , who played a key role in getting said team to the Conference Finals.
Being angry and having no idea is much better

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Trading for Josh f***ing Anderson and giving them a pick? It's Keith all over. Look at what the blackhawks do with other teams in trades.

Holland quit bending over.
Bob Stauffer started that s***. I don't want him. His stats are not that good. And I don't care about WAR % so....

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Keep in mind when posting info from Jason Gregor that the man has a three summer streak of being incredibly wrong or flat out lying about rumours, and he's likely going to extend it to four summers in a row within the next week.

July 2019: absolutely no truth to a potential Lucic-Neal trade
July 2020: falls for a fake account saying Hoffman has signed with Edmonton and then tweets the info as his own
July 2021: the Oilers are not going to offer a pick and prospect for Duncan Keith
July 2022: ???

SjTyMXb.jpg

Instant classic.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Keep in mind when posting info from Jason Gregor that the man has a three summer streak of being incredibly wrong or flat out lying about rumours, and he's likely going to extend it to four summers in a row within the next week.

July 2019: absolutely no truth to a potential Lucic-Neal trade
July 2020: falls for a fake account saying Hoffman has signed with Edmonton and then tweets the info as his own
July 2021: the Oilers are not going to offer a pick and prospect for Duncan Keith
July 2022: ???

SjTyMXb.jpg

Instant classic.
Lol forgot about that. Huge whiff.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Is his defence a matter of effort or a lack of Iq? I mean a guy like that will have his warts for sure, that’s why he’d be cheap. If we can get him to buy into a system where he can hold his own defensively, it could still work out.

1x1mil so you can bury him if it doesn't work.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

1x1mil so you can bury him if it doesn't work.

Admittedly by all reports his last year was horrific. But that’s what a buy low candidate is. Maybe his defence is beyond saving though, I’d have to watch more. But the potential for his shooting to work with McD is enticing.

Yeh if cheap, I’d just like to see it for once, a shooter like that on McDs wing.

You know what they say… 11th time’s the charm.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I remember reading the free agent negotiation window was rescinded in 2020. Players can talk with each other, however. There's nothing stopping Hyman from passing messages about the outlines of a potential deal between Campbell and Holland. The Oilers just can't force him to do it.

I believe GMs can also speak to agents. The way I have heard it described is GM says to an agent- "I'm looking for a goalie- I'd offer that goalie 5x5." Agent "that's interesting- I would go higher"...without actually mentioning names. Let's face reality- when teams announce players signing big, complex documents and legally binding contracts a minute after FA opens- they have spoken previously

Reactions: Oilhawks

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Admittedly by all reports his last year was horrific. But that’s what a buy low candidate is. Maybe his defence is beyond saving though, I’d have to watch more. But the potential for his shooting to work with McD is enticing.

Yeh if cheap, I’d just like to see it for once, a shooter like that on McDs wing.

I'd actually be more curious to see him on Drai's wing. He's going to get all the defensive attention no matter what, and teams have to respect his shot arsenal as much as his playmaking ability. Allow Leon to suck two guys in and then backhand sauce it over to Kubalik, who by all accounts still has that wicked one-timer he killed us with two years ago.

Those two would need a stronger defensive presence to really succeed though, so my hope is we grab another FA with a higher compete level away from the puck. Ironically, JP would fit perfectly:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Yamo
Kubalik-Drai-Pulju
Hyman-RNH-Holloway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad