Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: The Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Absolutely, even if he's medically cleared to return in February, he'll be bottom pairing material at best for the remainder of the year. The challenge is more so related to cap space as it relates to LTIR. If Chia is confident Sekera is gone for the entire season, it might open up some trade options for him after Sekera is placed on LTIR.
In a perfect world we'd keep him on their longer than he needs to be, but considering we are probably looking at getting rid of him before 19-20 that could back fire.

Have no idea what the penalty is, but the last thing we need is Sekera coming out saying he's healthy and filing a grievance.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

LMAOOOOOOOOOO

Interesting. The fact that Matthews has yet to sign a deal and looks likely to go into the next off-season before getting signed, only increases the likelihood of him getting a huge contract. If he puts up 85+ points this season, plus the always present risk of an offer-sheet, he's gonna get paid.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
It seems like he is heavily implying Faulk.

I think it all depends on what the doctors end up telling Chia about Sekera.

Out till Feb? Stand pat, snag a young guy off waivers or trade for a cheap defender who is pushed down a depth chart.

Out till end of the year? Grab a guy like Faulk.
He's been heavily hunting at Faulk for a while now, and it certainly makes sense.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Stauffer has been dropping hints about this too so multiple sources bringing this up makes it interesting although Leavins might be using Stauffer as a source since he referenced his show in the article.

In any event, as you said, any significant early season maneuvers will be dependent on Sekera's LTIR status. I'm sure Chia already knows if he's out for the year or not.
Which would make sense for why Nurse and Chia are arguing over a few 100k with his contract.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Matthews would be foolish to sign this offseason, unless the Leafs are already offering him 12-13M. If he has another 60 point season (lol), he's still going to get 10-11M. If he puts up 80 points, he will get that 12M - 13M he's looking for. If I were him, I'd be betting that I'd score 80 this year. Where things are really interesting is in Marner's potential new contract. Could be some glue there for the Leafs.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe, but you'd think by now Chia should already have a pretty good assessment on when he can expect Sekera back considering surgery was already done, and the extent of the damage is known.
Chia has already subtly inferred that he knows the extent of the injury. I think there's a deal for Faulk already in place, and it's just a waiting game for the cap space to come in via the LTIR for Sekera...just IMO though, and I've been known to be very wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad