Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: The Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Ya the cap hit is fine in a vacuum, but it’s crazy risky to sign a guy to that big of a number until he’s 38
He's going to start regressing as soon as next season (before the extension even kicks in), and it's only going to go downhill from there. No idea why they didn't wait to see how the season played out before offering him a contract.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Pouliot had some great stretches here. Not sure he was ever a great player. Far too many 10-20 game stretches where he was a ghost at best.
He was a solid 2/3 LW who was excellent at killing penalties. He wasn't consistent but I always felt he never really got treated fairly by the media and fans.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ya the cap hit is fine in a vacuum, but it’s crazy risky to sign a guy to that big of a number until he’s 38
What is the alternative? He's the heart and soul of the team. The fact that he didn't get 8 years is a win for them. They can worry about his contract being crap in a few years. Contenders don't worry about the now. The only stupid thing they did was not front load it better

According to these boards no one ever sign. Just let everyone walk

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He was a solid 2/3 LW who was excellent at killing penalties. He wasn't consistent but I always felt he never really got treated fairly by the media and fans.
He wasn’t that 2/3 LW in his final year unfortunately. And unfortunately he turned into the ghost during the playoffs. Hence the buy out.

I don’t really disagree with you all that much. He was probably better than a lot wanted to admit. But he also had some pretty big negatives during his time here.

Reactions: Aerrol

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
What is the alternative? He's the heart and soul of the team. The fact that he didn't get 8 years is a win for them. They can worry about his contract being crap in a few years. Contenders don't worry about the now. The only stupid thing they did was not front load it better

Wait until the end of the year when he regresses after a career high season before re-signing him. And the Jets' window isn't closing, they've got a ton of great young players that will keep them competitive for a while. The Wheeler contract will result in at least on of them getting moved.
He wasn’t that 2/3 LW in his final year unfortunately. And unfortunately he turned into the ghost during the playoffs. Hence the buy out.

I don’t really disagree with you all that much. He was probably better than a lot wanted to admit. But he also had some pretty big negatives during his time here.
He wasn't perfect but he was serviceable. I still laugh when I think about Spector going ballistic on Pouliot on Twitter for dumb penalties when Lucic took even more of them.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

Pouliots biggest problem was that he would take the stupidest penalties at the worst f***in times. ALL THE DAMN TIME! I didn't mind him as a player, still think he would be useful today, but Todd hated him from the get go. Can't make much headway when you piss off the HC instantly.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Of course you sign him. That doesn’t also mean it doesn’t have a good chance of being a bad contract. He’s coming off a career year at 32. You likely could have gotten a better deal if you wait for him to regress this year and then, as you said, front load it as much as possible

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He was a 3rd liner most his time here. Hall and Purcell played ahead of him the first two years and then his last year he was essentially a 4th liner. Guy had a real nice skill set, but like Spawn said he went on long stretches of nothing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pouliots biggest problem was that he would take the stupidest penalties at the worst ****in times. ALL THE DAMN TIME! I didn't mind him as a player, still think he would be useful today, but Todd hated him from the get go. Can't make much headway when you piss off the HC instantly.
You can, but if you do what you said you will never make headway. Anyone ever think the reason Todd didn't like him is because Pouilot did those stupid things in practice?

Pouilot was his own worse enemy. Very nice set of tools, but he missed a couple key ones

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Pouliots biggest problem was that he would take the stupidest penalties at the worst ****in times. ALL THE DAMN TIME! I didn't mind him as a player, still think he would be useful today, but Todd hated him from the get go. Can't make much headway when you piss off the HC instantly.
He had a better penalty differential than Lucic and Kassian but got waaay more criticism for it. You're right though, I don't think Todd liked him much.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015

Eh. They’ll be competing for much or all of that contract, and I really doubt he falls off much at all. He’s healthy and consistently getting better somehow and one of the best guys to have in a locker room. He’s their rock. I doubt this is a contract they’ll regret.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He had a better penalty differential than Lucic and Kassian but got waaay more criticism for it. You're right though, I don't think Todd liked him much.
I think the difference is coaches and fans have much more time for a full a guy who plays hard and takes penalties on the defensive side than a guy who just stops using his brain and takes offensive zone penalties that kill momentum

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I think the difference is coaches and fans have much more time for a full a guy who plays hard and takes penalties on the defensive side than a guy who just stops using his brain and takes offensive zone penalties that kill momentum
If I remember correctly, one of the local bloggers tweeted out that Lucic had more offensive zone penalties than Pouliot did.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
He's going to start regressing as soon as next season (before the extension even kicks in), and it's only going to go downhill from there. No idea why they didn't wait to see how the season played out before offering him a contract.
There’s really nothing to indicate he’s headed downhill at all. He hasn’t had a serious injury in seven seasons, he’s big, strong, healthy, smart, fast, beloved and playing with the best roster he’s had in his career. He’s got quite a number of relevant years left I say.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
There’s really nothing to indicate he’s headed downhill at all. He hasn’t had a serious injury in seven seasons, he’s big, strong, healthy, smart, fast, beloved and playing with the best roster he’s had in his career. He’s got quite a number of relevant years left I say.
Average P/60 drops off significantly at around age 32. He's being paid for his 91 point season (a career high that won't be repeated) and his production is going to tank in the next 2-3 years. Sure he'll likely still be a great player, but he won't come anywhere close to providing value for that contract.
Milan 23g 27a 202 hits

Pouilot 8g 6a 39hits
Hits is not a stat that I'd use to measure a players' value. He was bad his last season here but he was very solid for the two years prior.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Average P/60 drops off significantly at around age 32. He's being paid for his 91 point season (a career high that won't be repeated) and his production is going to tank in the next 2-3 years. Sure he'll likely still be a great player, but he won't come anywhere close to providing value for that contract.

Hits is not a stat that I'd use to measure a players' value. He was bad his last season here but he was very solid for the two years prior.
Well when someone uses a stat such as penalty differential to prove his value you have to bring up other things. And yes hits is a useful stat as you can usually conclude a guy with 3x the hits is going to have more penalties. Oddly enough Pouilot with 17 minors to Lucic's 10.

Pouilot had value, but he was never great here. He was a bottom 6 forward that had some good elements to his game, he just didn't use them enough

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

I don't think a lot of head coaches have like Pouliot much during his NHL career. I think there's a reason why Pouliot doesn't stay with any one team for very long.

In the 10 years since he last played for the team that drafted him, he's now looking for an 8th team to play for? And that's with 3 of those 10 years as an Oiler.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's because Lucic and Kassian get penalties for being aggressive. Pouilot got them for being lazy or deciding to go skiing

Milan 23g 27a 202 hits

Pouilot 8g 6a 39hits

This is just it when looking at why Pouliot's PIMs might piss off a coach a bit more. Pouliot's bread and butter was his two way game and his ability to kill penalties. Lucic and Kassian are players who are expected to bring physicality in their games--PIMs should be expected. Pouliot can't do a damn thing when he's sitting in the penalty box for his hooks and holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->