Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Puljujarvi, Turris, Barrie & Quine, Anyone Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I absolutely love Laine, and it's sort of weird the way he's being talked about here.

Just because he doesn't make sense for us, doesn't mean he isn't an incredible player who would obviously make our offense even more ridiculously dangerous.

But the cost it would take to acquire him, and the cap space he would take up, just doesn't make sense and is not a sensible way to build a contender.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
True.

how many comps for Nuge are being paid $8M right now?

Huberdeau is making $5.9 against the cap for the next two years and Nuge has never come close to his numbers. Same draft class. I just think there’s a lot more comparables that out Nuge in the $6.5M range than the $8M range

I cant think of anyone in Nuge's bracket being paid 8M. I think he will wind up around 7-7.5 personally but that depends on the term Holland is willing to go. Hollands history is to keep the cap lower by overterming, but I would rather pay more up front and keep the term shorter, 5 years possibly. Term always bites you in the ass whereas if a player isn't living up to the contract you can move on from it easier with a shorter term.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What the hell have the jets ever won besides the avco cup.. ask Gretz if he appreciated having Kurri's one timer.
Kurri was far more than a one timer. He was Selke quality defensive forward and a great playmaker in his own right. Having Kurri on his line allowed Gretzky to take more chances and play a style of game that made everyone more effective. Laine is not that player.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wonder how many players are going to give Vegas a break like that without a complete NMC after seeing how they have no issue dealing players away and having them lose those benefits that they gave a discount for.

Same with Tampa. That tax break isnt worth the paper its written on once your traded to Montreal or California. I think after what Vegas and Tampa have demonstrated, and even Nashville to a certain degree, this tax free discount is going to come with either full NMC and/or very restrictive NTC's. Ferraro has always said that is the danger in these tax free places and with this abuse of negotiating discounts and then moving a player a year or two later, perhaps the time has come where players and owners alike would agree on the salary cap floating based on marginal tax rates of the city your playing in.

Speaking of California that will become a huge No Go Zone for players once they pass their 2 new tax bills. Increasing basic tax to a max of 16.8% equaling a 54% marginal tax rate AND a wealth tax on anyone with a net worth over $30 million where you pay .4% of your net worth, even if you move out of state, where it follows you for 10 years on an annual declining basis.

DEJL

Jul 16, 2020
Still say he's an ideal fit.. 6 ' 5", only 22, and can score. Think of him and Jesse for the Oilers next year.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
True.

how many comps for Nuge are being paid $8M right now?

Huberdeau is making $5.9 against the cap for the next two years and Nuge has never come close to his numbers. Same draft class. I just think there’s a lot more comparables that out Nuge in the $6.5M range than the $8M range

Ryan Johansen makes 8, and Nuge has easily been the better player since Johansen signed that deal. That’s going to be the comp they use

Reactions: nabob

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I don't want Laine. Too expensive and too one dimensional. Plus we would have to give up lots. Winnipeg isn't taking our dregs and picks for him, quit dreaming.

Laine isn't close to being one-dimensional. Since his rookie season his playmaking and defensive play have both improved like crazy.

But yeah, we don't have the assets to get him.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I've wanted Hoffman for years....sounds like he's decided where he wants to sign but that team needs to clear cap....please be us

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Remember Nevada is a tax free state plus he can write the mortgage off on his soon to be $5 million dollar home. That is like being paid $11 million + in Alberta.
The difference in the marginal tax rate is about 8% in Alberta vs Vegas. The Mortgage deduction is only on the first $750K in and is worth less than $10K. So the actual number based on a very simplistic calculation is is more like $9.4M but even that is high since the US tax system is much more complex than just the rate where you live for a hockey player. Vegas also has a sales tax of over 8% and a real estate transfer tax that is $2.50 per $500 vs Alberta's $1 per $5000. So if he ever sells that $5M home he would owe a $25K tax bill.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I've wanted Hoffman for years....sounds like he's decided where he wants to sign but that team needs to clear cap....please be us
As nice as that would be, I can already see Gregors smug tweet about how he knew all along.

Reactions: Faelko

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Question for cap guys. Can the Oilers just leave Haas or Nygard in Europe for the season and clear their cap hits?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
When can Klefbom be placed on LTIR to free cap space? Is it at a certain time? Or just any? Maybe he's waiting for that :)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Kurri was far more than a one timer. He was Selke quality defensive forward and a great playmaker in his own right. Having Kurri on his line allowed Gretzky to take more chances and play a style of game that made everyone more effective. Laine is not that player.

Laine is a one trick pony but he’s damn good at that trick. He’s probably the closest player in the league to Ovechkin. You put him on our 1st PP unit and he’s going to be scoring around 50 goals every year. The problem is what his cap hits going to be in a few years.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Maybe Winnipeg would do Bouchard + 1st + Kassian + klefbom

fan complain about our cap problems all the time . They blame Holland for not doing enough and yet we see postings like this all the time . If we move cap we meet to upgrade our D and grab a cheap winger For MaDavid while the cap is flat . Next year our team should be (xxx means upgrades

xxx McDavid Xxx hopefully Puljujarvi
DRY
Xxx Turris Puljujarvi
Nygard Haas Archibald

RD
Barrie
Bear
Bouchard

LD
Xxx
Nurse I wanted to trade but Klefbom is always injured
Xxx

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Same with Tampa. That tax break isnt worth the paper its written on once your traded to Montreal or California. I think after what Vegas and Tampa have demonstrated, and even Nashville to a certain degree, this tax free discount is going to come with either full NMC and/or very restrictive NTC's. Ferraro has always said that is the danger in these tax free places and with this abuse of negotiating discounts and then moving a player a year or two later, perhaps the time has come where players and owners alike would agree on the salary cap floating based on marginal tax rates of the city your playing in.

Speaking of California that will become a huge No Go Zone for players once they pass their 2 new tax bills. Increasing basic tax to a max of 16.8% equaling a 54% marginal tax rate AND a wealth tax on anyone with a net worth over $30 million where you pay .4% of your net worth, even if you move out of state, where it follows you for 10 years on an annual declining basis.

Thats why millionaires are moving from California and just keeping a “vacation” home there.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
When can Klefbom be placed on LTIR to free cap space? Is it at a certain time? Or just any? Maybe he's waiting for that :)

Pretty sure you can do off-season LTIR. The Leafs needed to put ~10M worth of players on LTIR to be able to sign Marner in the off-season last year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The difference in the marginal tax rate is about 8% in Alberta vs Vegas. The Mortgage deduction is only on the first $750K in and is worth less than $10K. So the actual number based on a very simplistic calculation is is more like $9.4M but even that is high since the US tax system is much more complex than just the rate where you live for a hockey player. Vegas also has a sales tax of over 8% and a real estate transfer tax that is $2.50 per $500 vs Alberta's $1 per $5000. So if he ever sells that $5M home he would owe a $25K tax bill.

Excellent insight thanks! You must be a tax accountant!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Laine would be a great add but not at the trade acquisition and cap cost that he would command.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I disagree, especially in the case of Haas. He's exactly what an offensively minded, two way team looks for in a 4th liner.

I just don't see anything that he does well. 42% on faceoffs, doesn't produce much offensively at the NHL level, not that great on the boards battling for the puck. He doesn't strike me as a player that would be on a contending team's roster. I think Tippett sees that too, only trusting him to play less than 10 mins per game.

Reactions: Darkwinter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad