Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Puljujarvi, Turris, Barrie & Quine, Anyone Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I know people don't want to hear this but it's not about 2020-21, it's about 2021-22.

We aren't beating Vegas this year nor Colorado.

The goal this season is the development of Puljujarvi, Jones, Bouchard, Bear and Yamamoto - as well as Broberg overseas.

When we have cap space opened up next summer, and a healthier rested Klefbom, we will have more asset flexibility, more options, Vegas will be a year older and that is probably when we can make some key moves to compete with them consistently.

Where I give Holland credit is all of his moves were one or two-year deals, that was by design. The only player he threw term at was Markstrom because he foresaw him being the starter for beyond this year as a key piece. Yes, injuries and lots of factors change things over a year to maybe become a contender this season but it's more of a "competitive developmental" year overall.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
By the way, Chris Johnston said on the Steve Dangle Podcast (available on YouTube & Spotify) that he believes Taylor Hall wants to go back to Edmonton.

He said it around the 29:00 minute mark.

Edit: After listening to it again, he said that he thinks he will go back to Edmonton one day. He said Edmonton just didn't have the cap space this season.
EC620355-F55D-44CC-80DB-576C65E05128.jpeg

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I know people don't want to hear this but it's not about 2020-21, it's about 2021-22.

We aren't beating Vegas this year nor Colorado.

The goal this season is the development of Puljujarvi, Jones, Bouchard, Bear and Yamamoto - as well as Broberg overseas.

When we have cap space opened up next summer, and a healthier rested Klefbom, we will have more asset flexibility, more options, Vegas will be a year older and that is probably when we can make some key moves to compete with them consistently.

Where I give Holland credit is all of his moves were one or two-year deals, that was by design. The only player he threw term at was Markstrom because he foresaw him being the starter for beyond this year as a key piece. Yes, injuries and lots of factors change things over a year to maybe become a contender this season but it's more of a "competitive developmental" year overall.
A what?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

You're a doctor and know Klefbom won't recover even a little bit after a year of not playing? Impressive, that's a lot of schooling! You should tell the Oilers so they can announce it.

If you're not though, the Oilers don't even know what's going on yet but we can hope Klefbom comes back in a year with his shoulder at least feeling better from rest, surgery or whatever he ends up deciding. Otherwise, we are so very screwed unless one of these prospect D turns into a 23-24 minute guy.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You're a doctor and know Klefbom won't recover even a little bit after a year of not playing? Impressive, that's a lot of schooling! You should tell the Oilers so they can announce it.

If you're not though, the Oilers don't even know what's going on yet but we can hope Klefbom comes back in a year with his shoulder at least feeling better from rest, surgery or whatever he ends up deciding. Otherwise, we are so very screwed unless one of these prospect D turns into a 23-24 minute guy.
I'm not the one making the claim he'll be healthy.

So the question is. are you the Doctor?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
By the way, Chris Johnston said on the Steve Dangle Podcast (available on YouTube & Spotify) that he believes Taylor Hall wants to go back to Edmonton.

He said it around the 29:00 minute mark.

Edit: After listening to it again, he said that he thinks he will go back to Edmonton one day. He said Edmonton just didn't have the cap space this season.
As soon as I heard Hall only signed for one year, and not with a Cup contender, I figured that's what was going on. The Oilers have $29.5M in space for next summer, with potentially more depending on Klefbom's status and what happens in the expansion draft (Neal?). Extensions to Nuge/Yamamoto will use some of that but the Oilers will save a bunch of money on replacements for Russell, Chiasson, Khaira, and Smith. There's $8.55M tied up in those four this season, mostly because of Starfish's contract.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
As soon as I heard Hall only signed for one year, and not with a Cup contender, I figured that's what was going on. The Oilers have $29.5M in space for next summer, with potentially more depending on Klefbom's status and what happens in the expansion draft (Neal?).

Hopefully Holland will be able to make a deal with Seattle so they agree to take Neal.

bertty

Jun 6, 2017
As soon as I heard Hall only signed for one year, and not with a Cup contender, I figured that's what was going on. The Oilers have $29.5M in space for next summer, with potentially more depending on Klefbom's status and what happens in the expansion draft (Neal?). Extensions to Nuge/Yamamoto will use some of that but the Oilers will save a bunch of money on replacements for Russell, Chiasson, Khaira, and Smith. There's $8.55M tied up in those four this season, mostly because of Starfish's contract.
That is bullshit. He took best money, best C to play with contract. He is just greedy and waiting for next year to get huge money cheque.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
That is bullshit. He took best money, best C to play with contract. He is just greedy and waiting for next year to get huge money cheque.

Idk, I think his deal makes sense if he's cup chasing. Means any team trading for him at the deadline is only paying ~2.5m in cap for him. Means his team gets more money to pay high level players that aren't him.

And with the NMC, he gets the benefit of picking where he lands once he sees things progress 3/4 of the way into the season; means there is less chance he signs onto a team that sees the wheels fall off in December.

While it's kind of shite that he's choosing to play 65 shite meaningless games, and perhaps speaks to a lack of confidence in building something somewhere... I think the deal he signed gives him the maximum chance at a cup come playoff time. It also pays him the most. Only thing that sucks is admitting you're going for a trade, but as a young single fellow that's not a big deal, imo.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Wait what how did Van do that? UM WHAT
Within the division no less....eww

*ohhhh modified ntc I can see how Edmonton didn't get him but 21 other teams couldn't offer more than a 3rd?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Wait what how did Van do that? UM WHAT
Within the division no less....eww

*ohhhh modified ntc I can see how Edmonton didn't get him but 21 other teams couldn't offer more than a 3rd?
Most teams don’t have the cap space to take on a nearly 6m cap hit and not send any money back. Us included.

Reactions: Vagabond

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
And if I'm not mistaken, Vegas still needs to move about 4 mil in cap space.

Petro is an upgrade on Schmidt, but that was cap Vegas didn't have, and it's still going to cost them one more high(er) end asset to fit him.

Honestly I think they're eyes were bigger than their wallet in this situation. They're also without any centre depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->