Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | PRussell resigned to a 1-year extension $700K

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No need for defense. Puck will be in the offensive zone all the time.

But seriously, I cannot imagine that Klefbom and Barrie would be much worse than Klefbom and Larsson/Russell.

Nurse and Bear would be the same (just fine).

You might have a drop off from Russell/Benning to Jones/Bouchard, but the uptick in puck moving from that pairing would be significant.
I'm not sure that the answer in improving the team's transition game is adding a defenseman who simply passes better.

What I do know is the Chicago series gave us a brief look into how prematurely we're giving a certified top four title to Ethan Bear's pairing, who were zoomed by our top two forwards for much of the year. That's a bit of a ding on Nurse as well.

If we're assuming Oscar Klefbom is getting tougher match-ups and weaker support, I'm not confident that an undersized rover defenseman (Barrie) or an undersized puck-mover (Vatanen) is really the guy who's going to help keep him out of the weeds.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I agree that Jones and Bouchard ideally would be on a bottom pairing.

However, I don't think that they should be on a bottom pairing together since that pairing is too young. I like having each play with a veteran.

I'm not sure how, but I'd like Jones in the top 4. He's played 62 NHL games now and has been looking better and better. He's also a great skater, and a big fault with our top 4 in the playoffs was the lack of mobility. Nurse is the only truly good skater there.

I know the problem. Jones is LHD, and Nurse and Klefbom are cemented there. Although, I believe Jones has played the right side, but that's not ideal.

But, if we are trading out a LHD in the top 4, it becomes easier.
If you're trading a LHD from the top 4, you're replacing him with a LHD for the top 4. Jones is in no way ready to be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL. Let him prove himself on the 3rd pairing before shooting him up the lineup.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree that Jones and Bouchard ideally would be on a bottom pairing.

However, I don't think that they should be on a bottom pairing together since that pairing is too young. I like having each play with a veteran.

I'm not sure how, but I'd like Jones in the top 4. He's played 62 NHL games now and has been looking better and better. He's also a great skater, and a big fault with our top 4 in the playoffs was the lack of mobility. Nurse is the only truly good skater there.

I know the problem. Jones is LHD, and Nurse and Klefbom are cemented there. Although, I believe Jones has played the right side, but that's not ideal.

But, if we are trading out a LHD in the top 4, it becomes easier.

I think Jones is actually better than Bear. It’s just that we need a Dman like Bear on the right side more then we need a Dman like Jones on the left side.

Reactions: McSuper

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm not sure that the answer in improving the team's transition game is adding a defenseman who simply passes better.

What I do know is the Chicago series gave us a brief look into how prematurely we're giving a certified top four title to Ethan Bear's pairing, who were zoomed by our top two forwards for much of the year. That's a bit of a ding on Nurse as well.

If we're assuming Oscar Klefbom is getting tougher match-ups and weaker support, I'm not confident that an undersized rover defenseman (Barrie) or an undersized puck-mover (Vatanen) is really the guy who's going to help keep him out of the weeds.

Nurse and Bear still had infinitely better transition numbers that series.

Klefbom was the one who got exposed and we saw how much help he needed. Larsson deferred to Klef, Klef couldn't move it successfully if his life depended on it and they ended up playing the entire series in their own zone because of it.

He needs someone on his pairing who can move the puck in the worst way.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If you're trading a LHD from the top 4, you're replacing him with a LHD for the top 4. Jones is in no way ready to be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL. Let him prove himself on the 3rd pairing before shooting him up the lineup.
I think Jones is right on the line there, where either opinion is valid.

A forward thinker would love to let Jones run with it. He's already established himself. Played very well in the top 4 already. Outclassed true bottom pairing types like Benning and Russell

But yes, I get the appeal of sticking to slow and steady progress. It is the right way to do things, in general.

To me, the main appeal of having Jones there is what it frees up elsewhere. It frees up assets to trade. It means you can limit your spending in the top 4.

That's the tie breaker for me. Run with Jones, have a little faith in him, and you can do some great things at 3C and for McDavid's wing, and in net. I think Jones can do it. And yes, maybe there will be growing pains and the D takes a hit, but there will be gains elsewhere in the lineup

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Klefbom was the one who got exposed and we saw how much help he needed. Larsson deferred to Klef, Klef couldn't move it successfully if his life depended on it and they ended up playing the entire series in their own zone because of it.

Nurse/Bear were fine. Made some mistakes, but overall they did OK that series. Some bad breaks.

I agree that Klefbom was exposed. Russell made it clear he cannot play top 4 minutes anymore.

This is why I am not opposed to moving Klefbom if the deal is good for the Oilers. You could argue that Klefbom is what he will ever be.

Nurse still has tons of room to improve. He got drafted high based just as much on his sheer athletic ability as his skill playing defense. Just watch, Nurse will be that guy at 35 who plays like a 28 year old. I am OK with Nurse taking a few more years to continue learning to play defense. He will continue to get better and better. I don't see Klefbom continuing to get better and better.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

They also got spanked.

There's a lot more to the game than just transition. Not to mention that it also depends who's receiving those passes determine whether or not the puck stays in your possession.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nurse/Bear were fine. Made some mistakes, but overall they did OK.

Klefbom was exposed. Russell made it clear he cannot play top 4 minutes.

This is why I am not opposed to moving Klefbom if the deal is good for the Oilers. You could argue that Klefbom is what he will ever be.

Nurse still has tons of room to improve. He got drafted high based just as much on his sheer athletic ability as his skill playing defense. Just watch, Nurse will be that guy at 35 who plays like a 28 year old. I am OK with Nurse taking a few more years to continue learning to play defense.
What?!? Bear's pairing was -4. Toews outmatched him handily. Russell, on the other hand, was our best defenseman.

I'm not a big fan of using such small samples to determine where a player stands, but I think it's important to see how early it is for Bear. It would be a mistake to throw too much onto his plate next season.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
What?!? Bear's pairing was -4. Toews outmatched him handily. Russell, on the other hand, was our best defenseman.

I'm not a big fan of using such small samples to determine where a player stands, but I think it's important to see how early it is for Bear. It would be a mistake to throw too much onto his plate next season.

I just don't see it the same way you do. Sorry.

Reactions: belair and KYams17

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Yep. Bear and Nurse playing against the top line for Chicago.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They got spanked by an ~.800 onSV%.
I'm not sure sv% is really valid in a four game sample size. Bear, for much of the series, was matched against the Toews line. They capitalized on it. They successfully cycled against them and scored at least two goals off of tips and Kubalik's series winner.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What are the odds that Holland and Tippett want to see Broberg here next season? We can't just deal 2 of our top 4 D without replacements in mind unless we are willing to go very young with Bouch and Broberg stepping in together.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yep. Bear and Nurse playing against the top line for Chicago.
They would be. They generally play with Edmonton's elites. Thus in a larger sample, you could conclude that their results might be a little skewed.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
They also got spanked.

There's a lot more to the game than just transition. Not to mention that it also depends who's receiving those passes determine whether or not the puck stays in your possession.

Klefbom and Larsson didn't? Also, who is supposed to cover the point shots? Dmen or wingers?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What are the odds that Holland and Tippett want to see Broberg here next season? We can't just deal 2 of our top 4 D without replacements in mind unless we are willing to go very young with Bouch and Broberg stepping in together.

Pretty sure that rumour or article was created to drum up views on it lol. Maybe we move one Dman. No chance we move 2 top 4 dmen

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
They would be. They generally play with Edmonton's elites. Thus in a larger sample, you could conclude that their results might be a little skewed.
People are saying Russell was our best dman in the series. Imagine if Russell had played against the top line. Would he be our best dman or would he be getting ripped apart like Nurse is right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad