Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Playoffs Edition

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nobody is taking Campbell, need Yamo's cap hit to sign Bouchard. Pionk makes nearly $6M. Ceci is good value for his contract. Still need to sign several RFA's and Bjugstad.

Aint happening.
"Nobody is taking this player" "This player ain't retiring" "This player ain't signing here"

And then Holland made it work.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
"Nobody is taking this player" "This player ain't retiring" "This player ain't signing here"

And then Holland made it work.

"Trade for Winnipegs #2 D" and "Trade for a top 5 goalie in the NHL"......."but not trade any of our core players"........"and make that all work under the salary cap"........I think it is a pretty safe bet that Campbell will be an Edmonton Oiler and Pionk/Saros will not.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Even if the Oilers dump Yamamoto it will be tough to get everyone re-signed. I doubt we want to run a 21 man roster - probably a 22 man roster.

I think we would want some extra cap space to make moves at the deadline as well.

1682545175832.png

Reactions: Jet Walters

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is the cap for next season announced/confirmed already?
Replace Lavoie with Connor Brown at the same cap hit and I am more than good with this group

No but it certainly sounds like it will be $83.5 unless Bettman caves which he never does.

Brown would be a good add on a bonus laden deal providing it doesn’t make it difficult next year as his bonus would certainly carryover.

Reactions: McDoused

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I would have no issue going with the same defense next year even. Let Desharnais and Broberg continue to battle for minutes. I haven’t seen enough out of Broberg to justify giving him guaranteed minutes. I also think the 7 defense system works the best for us anyways.

The Bruins have been scratching Gryzelcyk, Clifton of Forbort since the deadline. We don’t have to just plug in young D because they need a chance. Let him earn it.

Anyone talking about moving Kulak or Ceci is crazy to me. Ceci would make more sense to move if you’re going to do it, but even then we need these guys. They’re in their prime years, they’re important in the playoffs. Unless you’re upgrading, keep them.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Even if the Oilers dump Yamamoto it will be tough to get everyone re-signed. I doubt we want to run a 21 man roster - probably a 22 man roster.

I think we would want some extra cap space to make moves at the deadline as well.

View attachment 697187

just goes to show what a massive blunder campbells contract was. lots of good goalies signed for cheap last offseason (and most offseasons). that money is tied up instead of resigning key players with it. going to be hard to find much money elsewhere in the roster and that 5m is locked in for at least another year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
No but it certainly sounds like it will be $83.5 unless Bettman caves which he never does.

Brown would be a good add on a bonus laden deal providing it doesn’t make it difficult next year as his bonus would certainly carryover.
Caves to whom though? My guess is the owners will want the higher cap.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

View attachment 697187

I have heard Seravelli say that he thinks cap will go up like 3 million which would help. But if cap goes up that much, individual players might get paid more so might be in the same situation.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Caves to whom though? My guess is the owners will want the higher cap.

The PA. They won’t give concessions whereas Bettman wants concessions from the PA to increase the cap. I don’t think most owners won’t want to spend more money either. 1/4 of them are actively tanking, another 1/4 aren’t playoff teams, and another 1/4 wont want to see the final 1/4 get stronger.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
EK is home

just goes to show what a massive blunder campbells contract was. lots of good goalies signed for cheap last offseason (and most offseasons). that money is tied up instead of resigning key players with it. going to be hard to find much money elsewhere in the roster and that 5m is locked in for at least another year.
You can't win em all.. Hyman and Nuge deals could have been blunders on their own. Even Kane extension was looking fireable signing up until the last couple games.

Also, Campbell did kinda save our season in game 4. Going down 3-1 and winning the series wouldn't be very likely.

Reactions: AM

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The PA. They won’t give concessions whereas Bettman wants concessions from the PA to increase the cap. I don’t think most owners won’t want to spend more money either. 1/4 of them are actively tanking, another 1/4 aren’t playoff teams, and another 1/4 wont want to see the final 1/4 get stronger.
NHL/NHLPA agreed back in 2020 to cap escrow at 6%, along with only bumping up the cap ceiling 1 mill per season until the escrow debt is paid off. NHL is willing to move on the cap ceiling as the debt is nearly paid off, but only if the players move on the escrow to cover any potential deviation from the 50/50 split. Problem is the players hate the escrow with a passion(irrationally so, since they get it back if the revenue projections hit), and refuse to make any changes to the fixed rate negotiated on despite the fact that it'll go back to being calculated based on the salary cap next year anyways(probably back up to around 10%).

So it's not really about Bettman demanding concessions, rather he's saying they want to resume regular cap operation ahead of schedule and the NHLPA has to agree to it(which includes raising the cap and normalizing escrow), and the NHLPA is adamantly against it because they want that fixed escrow rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordy Elbows

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
I actually hope he does

He's got 70/80 point potential, a bridge contract would be a disaster
Oilers have a 3 year cup window. Let’s be honest Draisaitl and Mcdavid will probably be gone after their contracts. Best bet would be a bridge for Bouchard and trade him for picks and prospects for the rebuild.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
EK is home

You can't win em all.. Hyman and Nuge deals could have been blunders on their own. Even Kane extension was looking fireable signing up until the last couple games.

Also, Campbell did kinda save our season in game 4. Going down 3-1 and winning the series wouldn't be very likely.

The Kane extension hasn't looked bad at any point, let alone fireable.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Bouchard is going to get paid.
We should have had an 8 year deal in the pocket for Bouchard before we moved Barrie. Points get Dmen paid and he’s been one of the best offensive Dmen to come out of the OHL in years. He’s pretty much a perfect fit for the type of team that the Oilers are. After these playoffs you’re probably looking at 7.5-8 million of you want to sign him for 8 years.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
NHL/NHLPA agreed back in 2020 to cap escrow at 6%, along with only bumping up the cap ceiling 1 mill per season until the escrow debt is paid off. NHL is willing to move on the cap ceiling as the debt is nearly paid off, but only if the players move on the escrow to cover any potential deviation from the 50/50 split. Problem is the players hate the escrow with a passion(irrationally so, since they get it back if the revenue projections hit), and refuse to make any changes to the fixed rate negotiated on despite the fact that it'll go back to being calculated based on the salary cap next year anyways(probably back up to around 10%).

So it's not really about Bettman demanding concessions, rather he's saying they want to resume regular cap operation ahead of schedule and the NHLPA has to agree to it(which includes raising the cap and normalizing escrow), and the NHLPA is adamantly against it because they want that fixed escrow rate.

They negotiated the fixed escrow rate and Bettman wants them to drop that. Players won’t drop it. Next year it sounds like the debt still won’t be repaid.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The capfriendly numbers people are posting don’t seem to have Bouchards bonuses that he achieved at the end of this year. I believe we will have ~850k of overages because we didn’t have the cap space to account for them this year

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
The capfriendly numbers people are posting don’t seem to have Bouchards bonuses that he achieved at the end of this year. I believe we will have ~850k of overages because we didn’t have the cap space to account for them this year
2023.png

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
They negotiated the fixed escrow rate and Bettman wants them to drop that. Players won’t drop it. Next year it sounds like the debt still won’t be repaid.
The debt is almost paid off if the NHL to be believed, and will likely be fully paid off fully sometime early into the season next year with an outside chance of being paid by the end of the playoffs this year if they exceed revenue projections. So they're probably close.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yeah, I think that something like

Kulak-Broberg
Vinny

is the way to go. Kulak might be expendable, but I don't like the idea of making our D worse.

We do have to clear up some cap, though. I think Yamamoto is a goner. Maybe Foegele too.

Probably Yamamoto and Fogele goes, my guess as well.
They should let the expensiviest asset go - Campbell, and Yamamoto. Fogele is a blender.

Trade Campbell 1m retained (its a plus deal for oilers), and Yamamoto - keep D intact- you wont find better on the market. 7 millions free'd up.

Resign Bouch, Bjug, Janmark, Ryan, Kostin, McLeod. Get another hard worker for Leon and E Kane.

Thats the only move Ken need to do then.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
If we start nickel and diming everyone and dump yams.

View attachment 697191
There is no chance Lavoie is above Holloway on the depth chart imo. That wasn't even the case at Bakersfield, they aren't that close. I know Holloway shoots left and didn't impose his game at the NHL level consistently but we need him in the top six asap.

Foegele and Yams are the obvious cap dumps for me.

It's likely to me that Bjugstad will take a bigger discount as well. How many teams can offer the situation he has here? An extra 500Kish after taxes is not enough to move anywhere

Throughout this cup window players are going to be willing to sign for less imo. I think it's doable

Last edited:
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia