Speculation: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Oilers Trade Deadline Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

space321

May 11, 2011
Mike Green LOL...

Tyler Ennis is meh

If these are the guy's we're targetting then why even bother? We need a top 6 winger for McDavid. In a year where the pacific is so weak, this is disappointing.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I have not watched Detroit much. Is Mike Green any good offensively anymore? He only has 11 points and -32...

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Uh is green even good anymore?

I thought he was awful defensively but made up for it with offensive numbers, but he’s sitting at 7 ES points this year and sitting at -32 while playing 21+ mins a night.

I get he’s on a bad team... but that seems like an awful lot of cap for a guy like that.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Mike Green LOL...

Tyler Ennis is meh

If these are the guy's we're targetting then why even bother? We need a top 6 winger for McDavid. In a year where the pacific is so weak, this is disappointing.

A top-9 winger and a top-4 defensemen. I would definitely 'bother'.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Mike Green LOL...

Tyler Ennis is meh

you dont change the team at the deadline unless youre selling, you tweek it, go for the major changes n needs in the offseason

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Mike Green LOL...

Tyler Ennis is meh

A legit top 6 winger will cost an arm and a leg.
I think some folks around here need to temper their expectations. A legit top 6 winger was never in the cards for the Oilers unless they move a lot of money out and are willing to pay a 1st+good prospect.

If they could get Ennis, that's fine enough for now. They don't have the assets to do much more than that. Still feeling the Chia effect.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
getting those 2 in would be a home run for us this year
I just can’t see green being worth the cap space he’s going to cost, and if they retain, I can’t imagine him being worth the assets it costs to get that retention.

we have Bear, Larsson, Benning, Russell, Bouchard as guys who can or have played RD for us. Green (based on any metric I can find) has the telltale signs of an offensive dman who lost his scoring touch. I’ll admit hearing the name excited me, but after looking at his stats in Detroit, I don’t know if he’d be any better than any of our current players.

The guy has 2 more ES points this year than Adam “doesn’t have an offensive bone in his body” larsson, while playing more minutes with easier zone starts, and unlesss he’s become a defensive guy in the last couple of years, he’s never been close to larsson defensively.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
he's on the worst team the league has seen in 25 years, pluck Green on the 3rd pairing n he'll be fine

so we’re paying a prorated 5.5m caphit for the remainder of the year to push benning out of the lineup so we can test out a 34 year old over the hill ufa, rather than spending that cap space bringing in forward help?

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

space321

May 11, 2011
you dont change the team at the deadline unless youre selling, you tweek it, go for the major changes n needs in the offseason

Normally I'd agree, but this is a special situation. The pacific suuuuuucks. This team is right in the middle of all that. A top line winger for McDavid can be the difference between a wild card finish and a WCF appearance.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Pretty sure the Green speculation is just based off of the Holland/Detroit connection along with them being sellers.

I don't see the value of bringing in a rental center just to pair him with the likes of gags and Chiasson.

I'm okay with Ennis but only as long as we bring in another winger that can kill penalties to get Khaira off this f***ing roster, still liking Brown>Ennis as an option out of Ott for that reason

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Normally I'd agree, but this is a special situation. The pacific suuuuuucks. This team is right in the middle of all that. A top line winger for McDavid can be the difference between a wild card finish and a WCF appearance.
And blowing our asset load trying to land a winger in season could also lead to us having no assets to improve the team next year.

I'd trust Holland to build sustained success instead of blowing his load in a weak division.

Reactions: North

space321

May 11, 2011
A top-9 winger and a top-4 defensemen. I would definitely 'bother'.

Mike Green is a "top 4 defenseman" the same way people here claimed we got a "top pairing D" from NJD when we got Larsson. They're there because those teams don't have anyone better. Mike Green would only be replacing someone in the 3rd pairing, I don't think he's really worth it considering we have so many 3rd pairing D already.

This team's number 1 need is a top line winger for McDavid. While I don't necessarily think Ennis is terrible, he's more of a flex option. Imo Holland already dropped the ball by missing out on Hall. There really aren't too many options left at this point. Holland has sat on his ass for way too long and a lot of available options are taken.

Going by TSN's trade bait list, I'd hope for a guy like Haula/Granlund for McDavid's wing. If we're looking at veterans for leadership, then Joe Thornton would be a great add for 3C instead of Mike Green.

Reactions: mouz135

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Pretty sure the Green speculation is just based off of the Holland/Detroit connection along with them being sellers.

I don't see the value of bringing in a rental center just to pair him with the likes of gags and Chiasson.

I'm okay with Ennis but only as long as we bring in another winger that can kill penalties to get Khaira off this f*cking roster, still liking Brown>Ennis as an option out of Ott for that reason

I think having a legit third line Center would be huge. I like Haas but the coach has zero trust in him, so a center that the coach might play a regular amount will do wonders for taking the load off Drai and mcdavid, especially if the fourth line is archi sheahan and whoever.

Also depending on the player acquired, you could try something like

Benson ____ Neal/Kassian

For a softer matchup third line that has a bit of skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad