Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Looking at Lawson Crouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Chiarelli acted like a typical GM in a death spiral. He made poor trades with impaired judgement that the end was near in his Oilers tenure. The dead man walking GM playbook is pretty consistent.
  • Panic move 1: fire the coach.
  • Panic move 2 when that inevitably fails: start trading for perceived immediate help - either roster players or with prospects.
  • Panic move 3: his keys to the building are changed and GM is invited to watch future NHL games from his tv at home.
Chiarelli was a hands-on GM who insisted upon the executive title as well following being pushed out the door in Boston. He insisted upon the autonomy to run the team as he saw fit. He made the Reinhart trade trying to fast track this franchise's development after falling into the golden goose of drafting Connor McDavid. Chiarelli's on record about discussing the deal with Snow for a month or so leading up to the draft. Had live AHL viewings of Reinhart and Memorial Cup as well. This was Chiarelli's deal without doubt some positive support and influence by Oiler management types who had seen the player going back to bantam scouting days. Chiarelli pulled the trigger and blew it.

After his panic trade moves, he incredibly still had autonomy to sign Koskinen to a big money, multi-year deal with no trade provisions as the fairly dust on a sole contractor negotiation.

Unlike your scenario, amazingly enough, one of the NHL's better GM's thought enough of Chiarelli to bring him into the St. Louis organization that was on its way to being a Cup contender. So it appears Chiarelli maintained a reasoned reputation among his NHL peers despite the classic failing GM playbook he executed which by his last days left this team expensive, shitty, and with no NHL roster depth.

Some good points... but that Manning deal alone showed me (and everyone else) that his ability to assess what the team needed was long gone, by bringing in a dubious talent that apparently he had scouted for years (and the 1 guy that McDavid had a beef with in the NHL on top of it)... and Chiarelli chose that as a trade to salvage the team in his dying days with the org.

I've read mixed things about that Reinhart deal and no doubt he pulled the trigger as he's the GM so he shoulders the final blame... but without the gentle/stiff nudges of others in the org... I highly doubt he targets that player specifically... he probably targets someone else he's personally more familiar with... or simply makes the draft picks.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ducks Place GM Bob Murray on Leave

"In a statement, the Ducks said “We recently became aware of accusations of improper professional conduct against Bob Murray. After internal review, we enlisted Shephard Mullin to perform an independent investigation. Upon recommendation from their initial findings, we have decided to place Bob on administrative leave pending final results."

..................................................................................................................................................................

There's probably going to be more of these popping up across all sports leagues... it's an "old boys" network in every sports league and basically it's been an insulated and protected environment for decades with what goes on behind the scenes.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Ducks Place GM Bob Murray on Leave

"In a statement, the Ducks said “We recently became aware of accusations of improper professional conduct against Bob Murray. After internal review, we enlisted Shephard Mullin to perform an independent investigation. Upon recommendation from their initial findings, we have decided to place Bob on administrative leave pending final results."

..................................................................................................................................................................

There's probably going to be more of these popping up across all sports leagues... it's an "old boys" network in every sports league and basically it's been an insulated and protected environment for decades with what goes on behind the scenes.

Perfect timing to swoop in and grab Gibson, IMO :D

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Mature, big, skates well, tough. Good combination, hard to go wrong adding a player like him.
I’d rather go for someone like Leddy. In today’s game, you have to be able to make a first pass or skate. Chiarot can skate of course but I don’t know if he’s a decent puck mover or if he can handle some top 4 time

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Some good points... but that Manning deal alone showed me (and everyone else) that his ability to assess what the team needed was long gone, by bringing in a dubious talent that apparently he had scouted for years (and the 1 guy that McDavid had a beef with in the NHL on top of it)... and Chiarelli chose that as a trade to salvage the team in his dying days with the org.

I've read mixed things about that Reinhart deal and no doubt he pulled the trigger as he's the GM so he shoulders the final blame... but without the gentle/stiff nudges of others in the org... I highly doubt he targets that player specifically... he probably targets someone else he's personally more familiar with... or simply makes the draft picks.
He targeted Hamilton initially (who he was definitely familiar with) and when that fell through he got desperate.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I’d rather go for someone like Leddy. In today’s game, you have to be able to make a first pass or skate. Chiarot can skate of course but I don’t know if he’s a decent puck mover or if he can handle some top 4 time

He can definitely handle top4 minutes.

He's averaged 18.5 minutes of 5v5 per night with the Habs. That's the most on their team. A minute more than Petry. A minute and a half more than Weber.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

The Manning and Petrovic deals were done basically concurrently to attempt to plug defense holes due to injury. They were reactive, overreaction trades to a bad d-corp with injury problems by a GM who had entered a death spiral after Panic Move 1. Yet he maintained autonomy right to the end as evident by the Koskinen signing within days of being fired. Chiarelli's judgement was critically impaired and compounded as the season continued which began with heightened expectation for winning or else for both coach and GM. Chiarelli's dealmaking were textbook signs of all of the short sided characteristics of a panicky GM trying to deal his way out of being fired.

The Manning situation with McDavid happened but vast majority of players want to win and we all the time supposed grudges evaporate over time and circumstances. Kassian was public enemy #1 when he broke Sam Gagner's jaw and became embraced by an Oilers team and a chunk of its fanbase. Shit happens and players show a resiliency and ability to forgive and forget.

He's the ultimate trigger guy given the rope and autonomy throughout his tenure to shape this into a Stanley Cup roster. That process included HIS decision to fast track an NHL ready d-man with the Reinhart trade. Ironically, had the Oilers waited to sign Chiarelli post draft or gone in a different management direction, the Oilers quite likely trade for Dougie Hamilton instead of Reinhart. The draft assets were better than the Flamers package but Boston so hated Chiarelli they refused to deal with him.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I agree but they could just wait and take a shot at Koski in the off season and not have a couple years of retained salary

I don't get how they would be retaining salary for a couple of years . MAF contract ends at the end of the season , This isn't a buy out it's a trade .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad