Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Moar NCAA FA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
gotta agree with Spawn here. Nuge is not a contributor, end of discussion. he couldve made the difference last night but wasnt able to. infact, he didnt contribute **** through 10 playoff games. defend him, and youll continue to be disappointed with him.

People keep referencing his " Two way play". Um...don't you have to be actually " Producing" to be that type of player?

Eberle has been sooooo horrific, it's overshadowed RNH being bad.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
EDM needs to do the following moves to take the next step
Up grade on Russel - would Stone be an up grade on Russel big body shoots right can pass
Third line centre that can win face offs with a bigger body
These are the two biggest needs for the team to take a stepfwd next year

Do we trade Eberle and/or RNH if it improves our team then yes

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
What do you guys think of Mike Stone
Shoots right
Big body
Can make a pass
Good shot
How many years and how much would you give him
Klefbom, Larsson
Sekera, Stone
Nurse, Benning

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Shoots right
Big body
Can make a pass
Good shot
Klefbom, Larsson
Sekera, Stone
Nurse, Benning

Pass, unfortunately he might be the only option.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Are we going to have cap trouble soon?

n2eLQlN.png

Source: capfriendly.com

The Oilers have $22M over the next 2 years committed to essentially immovable, overpaid, underachieving players up front.

$10M for 2 more years of Eberle, Pouliot
$12M headed into the next decade for the depreciating Lucic and underperforming RNH.

With Drai/McDavid due for big-time extensions (~$20M/year combined for both on next contracts), and constant pressure to surround them with linemates and a supporting cast to help them take the next step, it's going to be hard to do any of this with such large financial commitments in place.

I think the next couple off-seasons are going to be critical for Chiarelli to trim the fat heading into the prime years of the current core (McDavid, Drai, Klefa, Larsson, Talbot).

The question is, what options are there for off-loading contracts on such underperforming talents?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
you know, I don't get it. Of course you are allowed to discuss trades and all that, but our team is in the middle of a war here. Why would you talk about shipping players out at this time? When the team is out of the playoffs (hopefully in June), then there will be plenty of time to consider all this, and we'll all be better informed even. I'm not exactly criticizing you guys. I just don't get why you'd want to do this.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
People keep referencing his " Two way play". Um...don't you have to be actually " Producing" to be that type of player?

Eberle has been sooooo horrific, it's overshadowed RNH being bad.

Nuge has 4 points in his last 5 games, and had one assist taken away. He's also been playing with a couple of guys who have been poor. How anyone can slam Nuge this playoffs is beyond me, he's been clearly one of our best 3 forwards by a country mile.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nuge has 4 points in his last 5 games, and had one assist taken away. He's also been playing with a couple of guys who have been poor. How anyone can slam Nuge this playoffs is beyond me, he's been clearly one of our best 3 forwards by a country mile.
0 goals......you need to score goals I don't care how good you are away from the puck. It's not he's been 100% mistake free he's been 100% goal free though.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
you know, I don't get it. Of course you are allowed to discuss trades and all that, but our team is in the middle of a war here. Why would you talk about shipping players out at this time? When the team is out of the playoffs (hopefully in June), then there will be plenty of time to consider all this, and we'll all be better informed even. I'm not exactly criticizing you guys. I just don't get why you'd want to do this.

Do you want me to apologize for having the mental capacity to evaluate this team's long-term fortunes at the same time that I'm living the night-in night-out emotional rollercoaster that is our current playoff run?? :dunno:

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
0 goals......you need to score goals I don't care how good you are away from the puck. It's not he's been 100% mistake free he's been 100% goal free though.

$6M for a guy to be "decent" in a shutdown roll while not scoring and getting points in pretty solid offensive minutes (PP, extra-man) is an atrocity

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

it's a good thing GM's don't view things the way HF posters do.

I agree that it's not a good time to logically evaluate trades when one is emotionally invested into a series like this.
There is no rational thought because one simple play (bad or good) is amplified by a thousand.

The team is in a playooff run and should be rooted on, not scutinized and picked apart to be run out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Do you want me to apologize for having the mental capacity to evaluate this team's long-term fortunes at the same time that I'm living the night-in night-out emotional rollercoaster that is our current playoff run?? :dunno:

no I don't want you to apologize. I didn't say you did anything wrong. I just don't get why you'd want to do this.

I usually love making trade proposals, but the team literally cannot make trades now. This is the team we have, they are in a war, and they all are fighting to do their best.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer

I haven't been super happy with Nuge these playoffs, but to describe his linemates as "poor" is an understatement.

Both are shooting 0% at even-strength. Nothing. You can't be worse at even-strength than Lucic and Eberle have been. At least they haven't scored an own goal yet, but they both cough up the puck constantly and give the other team scoring chances.

Even Gretzky would have a tough time putting up numbers with wingers like that.

There was a sequence last game in OT where Nuge was dangling around and skating behind the net, looking for somebody in shooting position, and absolutely nobody supported him or got into a passing lane. Just standing there watching. Nuge eventually shot the puck into a crowd in front, nobody on our team battled for the puck, and Anaheim cleared it.

He also set up Pouliot with a perfect pass on a 2 on 1, and Pouliot missed.

At some point, his linemates have to do something. It's a team game.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Shoots right
Big body
Can make a pass
Good shot
Klefbom, Larsson
Sekera, Stone
Nurse, Benning

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning
Reinhart - Stone

Sure. But I think Franson would be more likely to take a one year deal.

Michael Stone is not an upgrade on Russell. This signing would be akin to putting duct tape on a stab wound.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Joe Thornton had 7 goals this season is he a bad player?

Getzlaf had like 2 or 3 goals through the first 40 odd games last year is he an overpaid bum?

No they aren't, they drive possession, are the most important players on their lines and get assists. They can also have bad luck for stretches too.

Nugent Hopkins has directly contributed to 5 goals in 5 games this series, badly outshot San Jose's top line last series while going against a Norris candidate and another very good D in Martin and has played awesome in important minutes.

He's our best PKer, is our best option to close out games (look what happened last night with Draisaitl and McDavid trying to do it) and he doesn't get many o-zone starts. He plays with the ****** linemates at evens, the two of which got shelled with McDavid when they played them there while Nuge flourished with his linemates, and he plays with poor PP players on a unit that can't get setup if he doesn't carry it in. Teams plan to shut him down because they know nobody else on that line can get it done, yet he still leads the team in shots many of which are in high danger areas while his linemates have been poor at getting into scoring position.

Nuge isn't the problem, he's a terrific young player who badly needs some help. He's clearly bought into what the team needs and cheats for defense, takes quick shifts, and played arguably the toughest quality of competition of any center in the NHL this year from last i heard. Why do we always need to run our best players out of town or destroy their confidence? It's ridiculous, the team finally has a good year and we have fans that figure getting rid of our 3rd best forward, a guy still developing, is the best course of action. It's almost as frustrating as the refs.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Few trades that I think we need to consider

To Col: RNH + Nurse

To Edmonton: Erik Johnson

I was thinking we could get Johnson for Nurse alone but not so sure anymore.

Still like Girgensons for our 1st

And then sign Thornton to a 1 year 10M deal

Team looks like:

Maroon-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Thornton-Eberle
Caggiula-Girgensons-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Johnson

Talbot

I dont see anyway we dont make the WCF with that group.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And when Thornton retires--we never compete again because people don't give away centers for free.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
And when Thornton retires--we never compete again because people don't give away centers for free.

Yea because you cant win with Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Girgensons down the middle and a top 4 of Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, and Johnson long term.... Signing Thornton before Mcdavid is re-upped just gives us an even better shot at the cup before we have to worry about the cap.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yea because you cant win with Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Girgensons down the middle and a top 4 of Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, and Johnson long term.... Signing Thornton before Mcdavid is re-upped just gives us an even better shot at the cup before we have to worry about the cap.

No you can't when you need to face a team with McKinnon, RNH and Tyson Jost down the middle every year, now with an eventually veteran Darnell Nurse on the backend, too.

That trade significantly ages our roster and also bolsters a Colorado Avalanche team that would more than happily knock us out of the playoffs every spring.

I'm sorry, we're a young team right now. Lets keep it a young team right now.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
I can't help but think Philly is a good trade partner.

RNH+Eberle+Puljujarvi (~13 M out (assuming Puljujarvi doesn't hit any cap bonus, more if he does))
for
Simmonds+Couturier+Read (12.25M in)

I'd argue RNH/Couturier is a wash. Philly can use RNH is a more offensive role and not have to rely on Schenn so much, while we need Couturier in a more defensive role. Couturier is locked up to a much nicer contract though.

Simmonds is clearly a better player than Eberle, however Puljujarvi should make up the difference with Philly unloading Read. Simmonds is also due for a new contract in 2 years and we may not have the cap space to accommodate him.

This also allows Philly to get younger with their young D-core and gives us more talent to win now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad