Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Moar NCAA FA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
What was the NCAA rumour? I missed it in the last thread.

Oilers are on the shortlist for Foo... Hometown boy, who knows maybe he was a guest last night. Who wouldn't want to play on an up and coming team with McDavid right now? Imagine signing with Pittsburgh 10 years ago... Everyone will be offering pretty much the same cash. It's all about lifestyle and facilities and opportunity. ????

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Oilers are on the shortlist for Foo... Hometown boy, who knows maybe he was a guest last night. Who wouldn't want to play on an up and coming team with McDavid right now? Imagine signing with Pittsburgh 10 years ago... Everyone will be offering pretty much the same cash. It's all about lifestyle and facilities and opportunity. ????

Scouting reports on Foo peg him as a speedy RW with skill and an edge. Super hard worker who loved playing with a speedy centre (hmmm) in Vecchione who has signed with PHI. So PHI signed his buddy, and LA is also in the mix... Personally if you like winning, I don't know why you pick LA - no offense, but they are trending down and getting older. PHI - sure, I guess they're Ok... But if you can point me to a bigger up trending team than EDM, I'd like to see it... Why you wouldn't want to be part of that, if you could??? Sign him!! Like a free later first round pick!

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Scouting reports on Foo peg him as a speedy RW with skill and an edge. Super hard worker who loved playing with a speedy centre (hmmm) in Vecchione who has signed with PHI. So PHI signed his buddy, and LA is also in the mix... Personally if you like winning, I don't know why you pick LA - no offense, but they are trending down and getting older. PHI - sure, I guess they're Ok... But if you can point me to a bigger up trending team than EDM, I'd like to see it... Why you wouldn't want to be part of that, if you could??? Sign him!! Like a free later first round pick!

He is from Edmonton aswell.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I imagine agents advise clients not to follow their hearts and sign for sentimental reasons. This is a career and landing in the right situation is more important for him.

He may see Edmonton with Kassian performing, with Puljujarvi coming, with Draisaitl at RW and think there are better opportunities to make it to the NHL elsewhere.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I imagine agents advise clients not to follow their hearts and sign for sentimental reasons. This is a career and landing in the right situation is more important for him.

He may see Edmonton with Kassian performing, with Puljujarvi coming, with Draisaitl at RW and think there are better opportunities to make it to the NHL elsewhere.

Yea I'm not sure he'd crack our roster. A team like LA would be good for him.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Yea I'm not sure he'd crack our roster. A team like LA would be good for him.
I don't want to keep Draisaitl on the wing forever . And speedy Caggiula was a beast in Ot last night one shift his speed got to loose pucks 3 times same shift. This team needs some more speed IMO. Screw the draft time to get more developed players from college.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don't want to keep Draisaitl on the wing forever . And speedy Caggiula was a beast in Ot last night one shift his speed got to loose pucks 3 times same shift. This team needs some more speed IMO. Screw the draft time to get more developed players from college.

Well, nobody disputes that the Oilers should try to sign him.

I just can see him choosing to go elsewhere on the advice of an agent that sees Edmonton as having less opportunity for him.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Well, nobody disputes that the Oilers should try to sign him.

I just can see him choosing to go elsewhere on the advice of an agent that sees Edmonton as having less opportunity for him.
Well by the looks of it I see it down to 2 Oilers and Flyers but as we have seen many times going to where your buddy plays is a non factor.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He will sign with Oilers he is from Edmonton also RW McDavid factor played in AJhl before going college route pretty good scorer. His brother is taking same route also a good scoring winger.

I hope so, we could use a guy like him in the system. He looked real good in the highlights that I've seen, speed and natural goal scoring ability. I'd assume it's between Philly and us, college teammate vs. hometown and winning team plus McDavid factor. You'd have to like the Oilers chances.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Draisaitl won't be a RW for long and Eberle won't be here long I'm sure so he'll have an opportunity for playing time if not next season almost assuredly the season after.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Draisaitl won't be a RW for long and Eberle won't be here long I'm sure so he'll have an opportunity for playing time if not next season almost assuredly the season after.

This may be his viewpoint, and his representation's viewpoint, but if you look at a team like LA who has a vacuum at RW, it becomes kind of hard for him to say "well, maybe Edmonton trades Eberle and moves Draisaitl".

I hope we get him but I've seen this before. Players passing on their home team because they see a greater chance at getting into the NHL faster on another team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This may be his viewpoint, and his representation's viewpoint, but if you look at a team like LA who has a vacuum at RW, it becomes kind of hard for him to say "well, maybe Edmonton trades Eberle and moves Draisaitl".

I hope we get him but I've seen this before. Players passing on their home team because they see a greater chance at getting into the NHL faster on another team.

That's a fair take. I just hope we land him because RW is going to look awfully thin in couple of years if Chia doesn't replenish the system.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm sure Foo's agent is smart enough to tell him that we can't afford to keep Ebs longterm and that's where he slots in

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Realistically, we're going to have to go to the Pittsburgh model when it comes to finding wingers to play with McDavid. Given the cap hits that Malkin and Crosby have, the Penguins have brought in relatively no-name guys like Sheary and Guentzel because of their combination of skill and tiny cap hits. Likewise, if they continue to perform like they have, they'll likely get shipped out and replacement wingers will be brought in.

I see Caggiula and Gambardelli as two guys who potentially fit into this model. Likewise, getting a guy like Foo could be big - I'm always skeptical when guys put up huge number increases in their "senior" year (62 points in 38 games vs. a previous best of 25 in 36) but he's a free asset so why not take a chance?

If one of Caggiula (who already looks like he's on the right track), Gambardelli, or Foo can develop into a winger who can play with a McDavid or Draisaitl, it'll help our cap situation immensely. However, just like Chicago and Pittsburgh have shown, we'll need to keep bringing in new guys to replace the old as the "McDavid effect" will likely lead to some crazy good scoring numbers for guys which will consequently lead to a bump in salary (ie. Sheary putting up 53 points in 61 games this year).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
IIRC oilers landed cagguila still with hall on the team and Lucic pretty heavily rumored to be coming here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->