Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Kailer Yamamoto, Will He Stay or Will He Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm surprised how many teams don't have a decent back up option. Worse teams might plan to pick someone up on waivers, but not playoff bound teams. Hopefully we can get a pick for Stalock.

Keep Stalock as back up and throw Koskinen for a pick

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Guys the COVID chatter is actually pretty relevant - atleast the discussion around whether all the Oilers will be vaccinated come training camp or whether we see some hold outs.

IIRC hockey players aren't required to be vaccinated but there's a lot of things that they can't do if they aren't. For fringe-ish type guys like Archibald that might be the difference between whether he stays in the lineup or gets relegated to being an extra forward, depending on his availability for games and conditioning.

Here are a couple of relevant points:
  • There are stiff rules for unvaccinated players. On the road, they cannot enter “internal venues” other than the team hotel, practice facility, or game arena. They are not allowed to use the hotel gym, pool, sauna, steam room or other shared facilities. They are not allowed to have teammates, team staff or visitors inside their hotel room, with the exception of fully-vaccinated family. They are not allowed to leave the hotel to eat (or purchase food) or use any restaurants/bars (in or out of the hotel) that are open to the public. They can’t pick up food except where the restaurant provides curbside pickup (or similar service) that does not require entrance to the main restaurant.
  • Teams can suspend unvaccinated players who are “unable to participate in club activities.” This includes situations where a player cannot travel because of local, provincial/state and/or federal regulations “upon return.” Such individuals would “forfeit the equivalent of one day’s pay for each day” they are precluded from participating.
  • Unvaccinated players will be tested daily (I wouldn't be surprised if the players had to pay for the PCR tests themselves)

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Watching the Oilers last season there’s no way anyone could agree with this. Two different goaltenders, same defensive scheme, two vastly different results depending who was in net. No defensive scheme is going to fix soft goals that a goalie shouldn’t let in.
Koskinen gets wore down with over usage and he can't play multiple games per week for weeks on end. And when he gets wore down it takes a long time for him to recover. I won't get detailed and I certainly haven't prepared any charts.

I've seen Koskinen excelling as much as I've seen the player broken and defeated. Then there was a bunch that fits between these two extremes. Playing a significant number of games over a season is probably the number one requirement for being a starting goaltender and it's clear he is not that.

The old guy, Smith, is capable of playing more games than Koskinen but he shouldn't be expected to play 5 game stretches either. Tippett will have to employ a strict regimen of game management for his goaltenders, this includes the possibility of Stalock being named full-time backup or even the contingency of the dreaded three headed monster. It should be noted that they can waive Koskinen as many times as they want without him actually leaving the Oilers, at home or on the road, and the probability of him getting claimed is remote.

The greatest goaltenders I have ever seen play the game, in the modern era, all had one thing in common regardless of age or style played, the teams in front of them played an unwavering defensive structure with the "bulk of shots" taken from identifiable, and more importantly, "predictable areas" on the ice where the shooters were effectively corralled by the defensive system employed with grade A scoring chances from the slot coming at a premium.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
"Ironically, wielding the term sometimes serves as virtue signalling in itself. By calling out virtue signalling, the speaker publicly claims the moral high ground."

Interesting

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Reports out of Ottawa suggest that they've tabled an 8 YR, 8M per offer for Brady Tkachuk.

I'm not sure how I feel about these huge second contracts.

The huge 2nd contracts to top young players almost always work out for the team. It's the huge UFA contracts to has beens that usually cripple teams. I'd much rather pay for what the player is projected to be than to pay for what the player was and likely won't be going forward.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Has any young, American star playing in Canada signed their 2nd contract for an 8 year term? Gaudreau signing for 6 years appears to be greatest commitment made over the past decade.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, come on, there is lots to hate on Archie for without going to his personal life. How he was another guy to get a multi year deal because of a good week riding McDavid’s coat tails. How he cost us big time in the playoffs. Being just another plug on a team that is half plug.

So tired of these players that barely do anything and then just burn you at the worst times.

I've blocked out most of that Winnipeg series but occasionally get steamed remembering that stupid selfish penalty he took...

Gonna take a lot to come back from that play for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad