Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | I'll Trade You My Ham Sandwich For Your Filet Mignon

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Panel had a draft preview and both Stauffer & Bob guessed that the Oilers would pick Jarvis @ 14 if he's available (or trade down if their player gets taken).

Tony Brar guessed Jack Quinn.

yea I just watched it. I think it gets traded down as we need more picks. Hope Wright and his boys hit on a few because our cupboards are pretty bare.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There should be no untouchables on this team aside from the two obvious ones.

We have two of the best players in the league. We should be trying to win NOW.

We should be but Chia set us back when he decided that we have the best player in the world and we should be winning now in 2015.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just like how Petry was a “#5 dman on other teams” right? Our fanbase seems to have realized what a **** up running Petry out of town was (there was like 3 of us defending Petry, but now everyone acts like they knew what he was back then...) but now they’re trying to do it with Klefa? Jesus Christ. Stop trying to dump our best dman.

Oh please, give me a break. I'm not saying to give him away like they did with Petry if you actually read my entire post before posting your emotional response.
The guy has been injured or playing injured every year but one in his time here ('16-'17). He's not reliable enough to be a LEGIT top pairing defenseman if he's only playing a handful of games a year at a top pairing level.

Do I need to run down the timeline here?

'14-'15 - First full season of his career so it was understandable when he struggled out of the gate. It was a real poor year for most of the Oilers Dmen.
'15-'16 - Played well, was starting to establish himself as a good Dman then got injured and missed the rest of the season, 50 games. Not coincidentally, the team went in the tank when he got injured.
'16-'17 - Played great especially in the 2nd half of the season. Legit top pairing level play. Team excelled.
'17-'18 - Awful, no other way to describe it. Missed about 15 games and played injured the majority of the others. Everybody was wondering, what the hell happened to this guy that he fell off so much? Not coincidentally, the team stunk the entire season.
'18-'19 - Played very well to start and the team was off to a hot start then he got injured, of course, the team went into the tank, of course, then he wasn't the same when he came back from injury.
-'19-'20 - Pretty solid the first half of the season then struggled towards the end and we know what happened in the play ins when he was beyond awful. We then find out that he was playing injured, of course.

Look at that timeline. Filled with inconsistencies and injuries. How anybody can say he's a legit top pairing Dman when he has only played at a legit top pairing level sporadically is beyond me then you get upset when somebody dare points out that Klef isn't a legit top pairing guy. Baffling
Do you want to know one of the reasons why the Oilers have only made the playoffs once (twice I guess) in McDavid's career? Look no further than the fact that their #1 Dman is too unreliable due to injuries or shoddy play due to playing injured. Then one time he was healthy the entire year, they had their best season in decades. That's not a coincidence.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I can't be the only one whose blood boils at the thought of trading down to add picks because we threw away picks (if we let AA walk) can I? :banghead::banghead::banghead:
That's not the primary reason. But the current state of the prospect cabinet is quite shallow. Adding a good volume of quality players--particularly forwards--this year could be a better strategy than just adding one.

Making a trade for a quality rental at the deadline could potentially decimate our system as it is today in one fell swoop. Imagine trading McLeod and Lavoie...who's left? There's very little space for error.

Assuming Yamamoto is a 50-60 point guy, we'll have that hole filled next to McDavid before one of Quinn or Jarvis steps foot in pro hockey. We're no longer in the process where the draft has to yield us game-breaking talents every year. In a perfect world, our development system would begin running like Tampa's did in recent years, churning out cheap depth forwards to assume roles vacated by veterans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That's not the primary reason. But the current state of the prospect cabinet is quite shallow. Adding a good volume of quality players--particularly forwards--this year could be a better strategy than just adding one.

Making a trade for a quality rental at the deadline could potentially decimate our system as it is today in one fell swoop. Imagine trading McLeod and Lavoie...who's left? There's very little space for error.

Assuming Yamamoto is a 50-60 point guy, we'll have that hole filled next to McDavid before one of Quinn or Jarvis steps foot in pro hockey. We're no longer in the process where the draft has to yield us game-breaking talents every year. In a perfect world, our development system would begin running like Tampa's did in recent years.

I get that, however you can't complain about the shallow depth and then move out 2 2nds and then let the player that you acquired for that cost walk. IMO we have a limited window to get this team into a position to win a round or 2 now and that doesn't come from adding depth to the prospect pool right now. If Holland thinks so lowly of AA that 13 games completely soured him on AA then why in the f*** do you make that trade in the first place? He knows AA and what he does/doesn't bring better than anyone. I for one would keep AA and then if we decide to move 14 for a couple of 2nds or a late 1st and a 2nd I could stomach that.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully we can get him signed for 2 mil . I just don’t want to waste the player because he didn’t play good in the short number of games he played here

I full stop want to keep him here. It just puts a burr in my saddle that we could walk from him and be out a couple of 2nds for our trouble.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hopefully is shoulder is good. Something we have said many many times.
The team needs to stop treating Klefbom as it's top defender and find one that can actually play for us at a good level for most of a season. Then when Klefbom is actually healthy for a bit, it's a boost.

Relying on a constantly injured guy to run your dcore is a major reason the team can't stay good
When the guy you are relying on is only making $4.167M you should be able to supplement your d-core so it doesn't have to rely on him so much, this is a management player acquisition failing not so much an individual player failing. Also if we were a properly deep organization Klef probably wouldn't of felt the need to play through injuries and got his shit fixed in a timely manner, who knows how much further damage he inflicted on his body when trying to push through his injury issues.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I can't be the only one whose blood boils at the thought of trading down to add picks because we threw away picks (if we let AA walk) can I? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hey BB I agree it's insane to throw the assets used to acquire AA away after a handful of games. All we do is bitch about how useless the 3rd line is offensively and this is exactly the role AA seems to thrive in. We saw this in the CHI series where he was a very effective driver on the 3rd line. A 3rd line of AA-Haas-Kass would be a real handful and the perfect setup for all 3 guys in my opinion.

As for the assets we gave up - here are the #44 picks since 2014:

Jamieson Rees
Albin Eriksson
Filip Westerlund
Boris Katchouk
Matthew Spencer
Eric Cornel

Total NHL games played for this group = 0

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If we let AA walk and trade Chiasson for a late pick that would likely free up enough space for a top 6 winger. Someone like Granlund, Dadonov, Hoffman, Toffoli might be some guys in our range on a flat cap deal.

Adding one of those guys to McD, Drai, RNH, Yams would leave one spot in the top 6 for guys like Kassian, Neal, Benson, Puljujarvi to battle it out for or platoon in.

if we could move Russell out we could allocate that 4M to a 3C either in UFA or a Russell for 3C trade or something like 14 + Russel for 28 + one of Sens later seconds + Tierney RFA rights. Maybe we add a mid range prospect as well.

1B goaltender would basically be money in/out with Smith from last season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey BB I agree it's insane to throw the assets used to acquire AA away after a handful of games. All we do is bitch about how useless the 3rd line is offensively and this is exactly the role AA seems to thrive in. We saw this in the CHI series where he was a very effective driver on the 3rd line. A 3rd line of AA-Haas-Kass would be a real handful and the perfect setup for all 3 guys in my opinion.

As for the assets we gave up - here are the #44 picks since 2014:

Jamieson Rees
Albin Eriksson
Filip Westerlund
Boris Katchouk
Matthew Spencer
Eric Cornel

Total NHL games played for this group = 0

He is a useful player and a guy that can chip in some much needed offense on a team starved for offense in the bottom 6 and also for more depth in the top 6. IMO the time off seemed to have helped him heal as his acceleration was much better against Chicago than to end the regular season here.

I have never been a big fan of comparing pick numbers across years as a basis for future picks simply because some teams are simply better drafting teams and could pull a rabbit out of a hat with that very pick. That said that is an interesting and pretty poor list to say the least! :lol:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I get that, however you can't complain about the shallow depth and then move out 2 2nds and then let the player that you acquired for that cost walk. IMO we have a limited window to get this team into a position to win a round or 2 now and that doesn't come from adding depth to the prospect pool right now. If Holland thinks so lowly of AA that 13 games completely soured him on AA then why in the f*** do you make that trade in the first place? He knows AA and what he does/doesn't bring better than anyone. I for one would keep AA and then if we decide to move 14 for a couple of 2nds or a late 1st and a 2nd I could stomach that.
Athanasiou's play has absolutely nothing to do with the Oilers not qualifying him if that ends up occurring. There's a $5m variation between what the salary cap was estimated to be at versus where it's sitting for the next three seasons. Looking at the Oilers' roster it's not difficult to see where money can be saved to allow them to address the actual positions of need next season.

And with the potential Klefbom LTIR, it's difficult to see what the move is. But as it stands, it's looking like there'll be a number of better quality forwards out there asking less than the $3m cap number that AA is asking for. Tyler Ennis is one of them.

AA was a rental. A bad one. I honestly never saw where he fits on the roster.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Just like how Petry was a “#5 dman on other teams” right? Our fanbase seems to have realized what a **** up running Petry out of town was (there was like 3 of us defending Petry, but now everyone acts like they knew what he was back then...) but now they’re trying to do it with Klefa? Jesus Christ. Stop trying to dump our best dman.
Nobody wants to dump him. With his injuries he’s a part timer anyway. We need to improve on him.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Grabner just became available on a cheap 1 year deal.... perfect 3rd line winger or complimentary jump up to McDavids winger throughout the season ?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
yea I just watched it. I think it gets traded down as we need more picks. Hope Wright and his boys hit on a few because our cupboards are pretty bare.
Wright hasn't really been hitting on guys ever. 2014 was his first draft for the red wings. Nothing since

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
@Cloned The next poll you do should be on who people think is the better complete player today: Andreas Athanasiou or James Neal. I'd be interested in the breakdown statistically if someone felt inclined. Because for all the shit Neal has taken in recent years for his play at 5v5, people are choosing to ignore those faults in Athanasiou.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
@Cloned The next poll you do should be on who people think is the better complete player today: Andreas Athanasiou or James Neal. I'd be interested in the breakdown statistically if someone felt inclined. Because for all the shit Neal has taken in recent years for his play at 5v5, people are choosing to ignore those faults in Athanasiou.
I think Neal wins it pretty handily.

Reactions: North

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is Draisaitl a plug? Because Draisaitl and Nugent is two of the most feequent linemates of his.

Kassian is maybe on Dupuis level, Dupuis may be smarter - Kassian far better skater.

McDavid I think benefits more of good players than Crosby does, also b’cause their diffrent playing styles.

If Crosby where in Oilers, I would line up

Benson Crosby Archibald
Nuge Draisaitl Yamamoto
AAMcLeod Kassian
Khaira Sheahan Chiasson
Your post was that Crosby could make a line all by himself suggesting McDavid could not. The reality is that in today's NHL with highly structured systems, if you are facing top pairing defensemen with no help no player is going to be able to do it all alone. I agree that Crosby's style is different. He's really a grinder with elite skills. But results are results. Offensively McDavid has done as well or better 5 vs 5 playing without skilled help. When he plays with skill his game elevates even further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad