Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Gazzola: "hearing we may see PTO coming into camp"

Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
McLeod's playstyle is very similar to Nuge. And the way he handles the puck and skates makes him look just like a bigger RNH on the ice. But, the skill gap is big.

Reactions: ujju2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Corsi is an offensive number, not defensive. You have to look at the HDSCA, and HDGA
I am aware of what these stats measure. It's hard to argue that anyone has sunk badly if the possession and goal numbers are in their favour.

But since you asked: Over the last two years:

Benning with Nurse: 235 min 5 vs 5

GA/60 2.55
XGA/60 2.41
HDCA/60 10.72
HDGA/60 1.53

Benning with Sekera: 488 min 5 vs 5

GA/60 2.95
XGA/60 2.72
HDCA/60 14.39
HDGA/60 1.6

Benning's HDCA were lower with Nurse than any of the Oilers other regular defensemen.

None of this really proves that Benning or Nurse are good or bad since these are team stats. But what this shows is that you have strong observational bias wrt Nurse. As human beings once we have a position in our minds what we see will almost always appear to back that up. This is the main reason why these player debates become so polarized. People who like a player remember the good and not the bad. Those who don't, the opposite. As flawed as these advanced stats are used in the right way they can at least to a degree refute these biases. In the case of your claim that Benning only sinks with Nurse it would seem your own chosen stats paint a different picture.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don’t think we get any PTOs. I’d like to see Marleau signed now that the Sharks door has closed. He’d fit nicely on the 2nd line w RNH and Neal and give Benson another year to grow his game.

I like the idea of getting Marleau as well but I'm not sure he is a fit for us.

Is his skating still good and will he be able play well for 82+ games?

If Tippett does his usual thing he expects a lot of speed and effort. Something I'm not sure Marleau brings anymore.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I don’t think we get any PTOs. I’d like to see Marleau signed now that the Sharks door has closed. He’d fit nicely on the 2nd line w RNH and Neal and give Benson another year to grow his game.

If Holland can add Marleau I'd like to see them try McDavid-Draisaitl-RNH-Sheahan down the middle. You'd still have wingers playing above their pay grade but it's more doable.

McDavid-Neal
Draisaitl-Marleau
RNH-Chiasson
Sheahan-Archibald

Then add in Kassian, Granlund, Gagner...maybe Benson for the top 9. Left with tons of options for the 4th still.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I'd like to see Marleau as well, but not at the expense of Benson, I think he's ready. That said I'm not sure where Marleau would fit.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not sure where people are getting the love of patty m from. There is a reason he is not signed. He has lost a step

Hasn't he been fixated on a SJ contract all summer? Wilson is probably playing hardball and won't go higher than 1M.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I am aware of what these stats measure. It's hard to argue that anyone has sunk badly if the possession and goal numbers are in their favour.

But since you asked: Over the last two years:

Benning with Nurse: 235 min 5 vs 5

GA/60 2.55
XGA/60 2.41
HDCA/60 10.72
HDGA/60 1.53

Benning with Sekera: 488 min 5 vs 5

GA/60 2.95
XGA/60 2.72
HDCA/60 14.39
HDGA/60 1.6

Benning's HDCA were lower with Nurse than any of the Oilers other regular defensemen.

None of this really proves that Benning or Nurse are good or bad since these are team stats. But what this shows is that you have strong observational bias wrt Nurse. As human beings once we have a position in our minds what we see will almost always appear to back that up. This is the main reason why these player debates become so polarized. People who like a player remember the good and not the bad. Those who don't, the opposite. As flawed as these advanced stats are used in the right way they can at least to a degree refute these biases. In the case of your claim that Benning only sinks with Nurse it would seem your own chosen stats paint a different picture.
Well done post, I’m sure he won’t even read it and then just post another drive by next time anyone brings up nurses partner.

“They only look bad next to nurse”

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Leavins thinks another vet is going to be added at the cost of a contract moving out. He loved McLeod’s game (as did I) and of course Bouchard and Benson he liked as well.

I have thought Marleau was a possibility since the Sharks shut the door on him. He may have lost a step but he still has hands and talent and would round out our top 6 nicely IMO.

Reactions: guymez

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'd like to see Marleau as well, but not at the expense of Benson, I think he's ready. That said I'm not sure where Marleau would fit.

I think with RNH and load up McDavid/Drai with Neal. Benson could still fit with RNH and Marleau if Marleau plays his off wing and I believe Marleau is far better on draws than RNH whose never figured that part of the game out yet. He’d also make our 2nd PP more of a threat.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Leavins thinks another vet is going to be added at the cost of a contract moving out. He loved McLeod’s game (as did I) and of course Bouchard and Benson he liked as well.

I have thought Marleau was a possibility since the Sharks shut the door on him. He may have lost a step but he still has hands and talent and would round out our top 6 nicely IMO.

I count 48 with the Broberg and Rodrigue slides. Getting rid of a contract might be as easy as Haas not making the opening roster. I'm pretty certain I read he was NHL-or-bust.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Marleau is gonna come here. I've heard he has quite a few friends in Edmonton so could help convince him if no obvious contenders are interested.

Also, what a career he's had. Hasn't missed a game in ten years, and hasn't really had any huge injuries for 20 years.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I count 48 with the Broberg and Rodrigue slides. Getting rid of a contract might be as easy as Haas not making the opening roster. I'm pretty certain I read he was NHL-or-bust.

If Puljujarvi is traded we will more than likely get a roster player back putting us at 49 and with another UFA signing that’s 50 if Haas makes the team which I think he will as a depth F 12/13/14.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think with RNH and load up McDavid/Drai with Neal. Benson could still fit with RNH and Marleau if Marleau plays his off wing and I believe Marleau is far better on draws than RNH whose never figured that part of the game out yet. He’d also make our 2nd PP more of a threat.

I think Benson would fit very well with McDavid and Leon. He's so smart and is willing to do some grunt work as well. The only thong he'd need to worry about with those two is to get out of their way. No pressure to be generating a lot.

Reactions: frag2

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Puljujarvi is traded we will more than likely get a roster player back putting us at 49 and with another UFA signing that’s 50 if Haas makes the team which I think he will as a depth F 12/13/14.
I think it's unlikely Puljujarvi gets traded before the roster is set. I don't think there's much of a concern in regards to our contract limit preventing us from signing PTOs.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think Benson would fit very well with McDavid and Leon. He's so smart and is willing to do some grunt work as well. The only thong he'd need to worry about with those two is to get out of their way. No pressure to be generating a lot.

He’d be playing against the leagues best defence and best forwards game in and game out. Setting a rookie up for failure is classic Oiler however.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think it's unlikely Puljujarvi gets traded before the roster is set. I don't think there's much of a concern in regards to our contract limit preventing us from signing PTOs.

Teams don’t like being at 49 contracts. Limits options.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He’d be playing against the leagues best defence and best forwards game in and game out. Setting a rookie up for failure is classic Oiler however.

This is true, however he'd be the 3rd wheel on the line and would draw the least attention of everyone on that line by a country mile. If we could add someone like Marleau or Vanek, I'd be fine with Benson playing with Nuge and Neal stacking up the top line. You know that it likely irks Connor that he didn't win the Ross to top off yet another non playoff season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad