Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Gazzola: "hearing we may see PTO coming into camp"

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I mean, you’re probably going to lose Pulju regardless.

And making the playoffs is never a bad thing. Especially since McDavid staying happy with a losing team is not a likely proposition.
No we aren't. We're going to get what we decide to accept for him. Either that, or he plays in Europe until he's a grown ass man.

As for the previous post, it was supposed to say miss the Wildcard. But even then, I'm not entirely happy scraping into the playoffs only to see that asset vanish. Because quite honestly a 30-some point defenseman isn't the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Puljujarvi should be moved for an asset we can have for as long as we would have him. This is still a player who has a lot of potential to come back and bite us in the ass.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No we aren't. We're going to get what we decide to accept for him. Either that, or he plays in Europe until he's a grown ass man.

As for the previous post, it was supposed to say miss the Wildcard. But even then, I'm not entirely happy scraping into the playoffs only to see that asset vanish. Because quite honestly a 30-some point defenseman isn't the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Puljujarvi should be moved for an asset we can have for as long as we would have him. This is still a player who has a lot of potential to come back and bite us in the ass.

Or his value could drop to nothing if he stays in Europe and plays poorly.

There’s a good chance you could get more from Faulk, either as a roster player or trade asset later in the year.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Personally thinking, if the Canes would take Pool for Faulk I do it. Sure there’s a chance that Faulk dips on the off-season but if you can convince him to stick around you’re in the money.

Granted I don’t see Jesse ever dawning and Oilers short ever again.

Faulk for 1 season > Jesse in Europe all year/ 4th round pick

Reactions: Homesick

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Or his value could drop to nothing if he stays in Europe and plays poorly.

There’s a good chance you could get more from Faulk, either as a roster player or trade asset later in the year.
He's three seasons removed from being a lottery pick. I don't see his value dropping too substantially. The kid didn't forget how to play hockey.

As for parlaying Faulk, it doesn't really make a ton of sense considering you're setting the price three or four months in advance. Who's flipping a top prospect for him today? Where's that extra value coming from at the deadline?

What I'm seeing is a lot of hopeful assumptions. Realistically, trading one of our most valuable trade chips today for a rental is actually a pretty bad idea in the long term scheme of things. And I get the desire to improve the defense.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He's three seasons removed from being a lottery pick. I don't see his value dropping too substantially. The kid didn't forget how to play hockey.

As for parlaying Faulk, it doesn't really make a ton of sense considering you're setting the price three or four months in advance. Who's flipping a top prospect for him today? Where's that extra value coming from at the deadline?

What I'm seeing is a lot of hopeful assumptions. Realistically, trading one of our most valuable trade chips today for a rental is actually a pretty bad idea in the long term scheme of things. And I get the desire to improve the defense.

You’re assuming he actually knew how to play hockey well at the pro level in the first place. ;)

If you trade Pulju for Faulk and Faulk makes the team more competitive, or you get a decent package for Faulk at the deadline, what’s the downside? The likelihood of Pulju ever becoming an impact player at this level is remote.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You’re assuming he actually knew how to play hockey well at the pro level in the first place. ;)

If you trade Pulju for Faulk and Faulk makes the team more competitive, or you get a decent package for Faulk at the deadline, what’s the downside? The likelihood of Pulju ever becoming an impact player at this level is remote.
The downside is the market for Faulk being less than what you expect it to be. The downside is Puljujarvi the asset returning nothing in the long term.

The best course on Puljujarvi is to sit on the offers you get on him until a reasonable return comes. Holland's ask of a quality prospect and pick is right where it should be. He also rarely dabbles in the rental market, so a Faulk trade would be out of character.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The downside is the market for Faulk being less than what you expect it to be. The downside is Puljujarvi the asset returning nothing in the long term.

The best course on Puljujarvi is to sit on the offers you get on him until a reasonable return comes. Holland's ask of a quality prospect and pick is right where it should be. He also rarely dabbles in the rental market, so a Faulk trade would be out of character.

Your second sentence could really be my argument if we don’t trade him sooner rather than later.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It amazes me how Nurse has tonnes of room to grow, but Benning who is less then a year older, and played 70
fewer games in the league couldn’t possibly improve from bottom pairing to a number 4
Benning can marginally improve, but he simply doesnt have the tools to improve much further. Benning is 4” shorter, 25lbs lighter than Nurse, and is frankly a very mediocre skater. Nurse can flat out fly. Benning has decent puck skills and generally makes the right play but he will never be able to make the plays that Nurse can make.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Your second sentence could really be my argument if we don’t trade him sooner rather than later.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Do you expect this player to turn into a potato? You're talking about a high end prospect playing in Europe. His value is going to be the same tommorow as it is today.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Do you expect this player to turn into a potato? You're talking about a high end prospect playing in Europe. His value is going to be the same tommorow as it is today.

He’s already a potato, arguably.

Reactions: Tremor and frag2

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Mcleod is honestly a RNH clone with a bit less skill. Best player next to Bouchard from the period

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Benning can marginally improve, but he simply doesnt have the tools to improve much further. Benning is 4” shorter, 25lbs lighter than Nurse, and is frankly a very mediocre skater. Nurse can flat out fly. Benning has decent puck skills and generally makes the right play but he will never be able to make the plays that Nurse can make.

Which is why you shouldnt expect him to be Nurse. But no reason not to think he can't turn into a #4 dman. He reads the play well, can make a good pass, and has a hard shot.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It amazes me how Nurse has tonnes of room to grow, but Benning who is less then a year older, and played 70
fewer games in the league couldn’t possibly improve from bottom pairing to a number 4

Benning really hasn't shown much potential to be a number 4..

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Benning really hasn't shown much potential to be a number 4..

He was only the best defender in his own zone last year... I think he really came into his own towards the end of the year.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
He was only the best defender in his own zone last year... I think he really came into his own towards the end of the year.
I respectfully disagree. Benning simply cannot escape pressure and he cannot break up a cycle. He makes a good pass but unless he picks up a huge step in skating there is zero chance he’ll ever be a #4.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Benning has only sunk when paired with one partner.(Who’s partners always look bad) When he was paired with Sekera for the playoffs he was fine. No reason to think he won’t be fine paired with Klefbom or Russell
You really do have a blind spot with Nurse. Over the last two years:

Nurse and Benning: CF% 52.75% GF% 66.67%

Reactions: frag2

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley

I need to remind myself of this. Way harder on Benning.

If we could just magically drop a Drew Doughty type onto our blue line I would feel really good about the group........everyone would slot into the correct pair.....sigh

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You really do have a blind spot with Nurse. Over the last two years:

Nurse and Benning: CF% 52.75% GF% 66.67%

Corsi is an offensive number, not defensive. You have to look at the HDSCA, and HDGA

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Benning reads the game better than nurse but nurses physical skills makes him better anyways IMO.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Mcleod is honestly a RNH clone with a bit less skill. Best player next to Bouchard from the period

I think you're underestimating the skill gap a lot.

The difference will really start to show in a few weeks when they're playing with NHL players and the NHL guys are rounding into form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad