Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Friedman: Kahun 1 year $975k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
With the exception of Tambellini all of our GMs have "tried."

I have higher expectations than trying. Holland botched that trade on day one and it cost the Oilers some not insignificant assets. The weirdest thing about it is he should have known better with Athanasiou. He saw him for years in Detroit.

With the exception of bringing back Smith, I like everything he's done this summer though!

Athansiou will probably score 20+ goals again in the NHL, Oiler fans are not the "experts" on players they think they are, there are like a dozen players that have gone on to become good, useful players after ugly, small sample stints in Edmonton.

If you're mad at Holland because he didn't forsee the cap remaining frozen at 81.5 due to a global pandemic, that's just being unreasonable.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
hi my name is Andreas Athanasiou I am really good at skating fast, handling the puck and shooting but I have no idea where my teammates are at any given moment and I'm always surprised when I get the puck since I never know where it's going or what's happening around me and when I don't have the puck I wonder why no one is giving it to me

Dude what you're saying isn't funny. Just stop. It's childish. You sound like a 12 year old.

North

Jun 25, 2009
With the exception of Tambellini all of our GMs have "tried."

I have higher expectations than trying. Holland botched that trade on day one and it cost the Oilers some not insignificant assets. The weirdest thing about it is he should have known better with Athanasiou. He saw him for years in Detroit.

With the exception of bringing back Smith, I like everything he's done this summer though!

Like you said he saw Athanasiou in Detroit so maybe he thought there would be a fit. It sucks that it didn’t work but part of that is because AA got injured and then COVID hit so we didn’t really fully get to see if maybe it could work.

I know some people don’t like the player and that’s going to be a factor in some criticism but are we going to keep rehashing this? It happened. We can’t change it and neither can Holland.

Reactions: TB12

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Athansiou will probably score 20+ goals again in the NHL, Oiler fans are not the "experts" on players they think they are, there are like a dozen players that have gone on to become good, useful players after ugly, small sample stints in Edmonton.

If you're mad at Holland because he didn't forsee the cap remaining frozen at 81.5 due to a global pandemic, that's just being unreasonable.
Read my post. I'm not mad at Holland for the cap situation. It was a bad trade the minute it went down. They paid a premium for a flawed player who was having a miserable year. And maybe Athanasiou will score 20 goals. That doesn't mean he'll be a valuable player while doing so.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

100% agreed. Oiler fans are no experts. I love how we all try to be experts

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Read my post. I'm not mad at Holland for the cap situation. It was a bad trade the minute it went down. They paid a premium for a flawed player who was having a miserable year. And maybe Athanasiou will score 20 goals. That doesn't mean he'll be a valuable player while doing so.

And you know that how? People also were yelling the same thing about Schultz, Dubnyk, Talbot, Perron, etc. while they were being chased out of town.

Too many fans think they're experts on a player after 13 whopping games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
100% agreed. Oiler fans are no experts. I love how we all try to be experts

Canadian hockey fans in general can often be dumb as bricks. They are too emotional and over-react to short sample sizes.

A player has a bad stretch and they are garbage, they have a hot stretch and they are "OMG! UNTRADABLE!!! HAHAHA I WOULDN'T TRADE HIM FOR 5 1STS!!!!".

It's predictable and happens over and over and over again.

Even Yamamoto a lot of people had already given up on him on this board before the season started, he was an after thought going into camp, arguably he ended up turning the entire season for the team around.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
And you know that how? People also were yelling the same thing about Schultz, Dubnyk, Talbot, Perron, etc. while they were being chased out of town.

Too many fans think they're experts on a player after 13 whopping games.

Fair enough. The truth is none of us truly know. We all only have our opinions to go on.

We've all made our mistakes. You certainly have as well. Maybe worth considering before you imply people who disagree are dumb as bricks.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Or how good HE is.

I don't know how a 25 year old who has scored at 40 point pace essentially entirely at ES, is defensively responsible and can play all 3 forward positions isn't in the top 35(!) remaining free agents..

I mean i wouldn't bank on him coming in and being a top 6 player, but really not one of the top 35? I would easily have him as a top 5 free agent still on the market.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fair enough. The truth is none of us truly know. We all only have our opinions to go on.

We've all made our mistakes. You certainly have as well. Maybe worth considering before you imply people who disagree are dumb as bricks.

The issue I have is like when it's the TENTH freaking time it happens, lol.

Like the "experts" on this swore up and down that Schultz was finished, Dubnyk was finished, Lupul was trash, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's not so much "dumb as rocks" (even though the net effect is probably similar), it's about getting overly emotional and having zero perspective on players.

This board in particular in really horrible at it, you even have a set of posters that will start riding McDavid's ass when he goes 2-3 periods without registering a point.

This board is really terrible for the "what have you done for me lately-itis".

Reactions: TB12 and Aerrol

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I think depending on what holland does he could be a good pick up. He seems to have really misread the market. We can talk about what we payed for him but realistically we would be okay if he resigned and the cap moved accordingly. While @DropTheGloves brought up doing the Duclair route i'd say he already had that chance. Frankly if he wasn't really cutting it in Detroit than not sure what other teams would be lining up to give those minutes. He is probably being more judged over his time in Detroit last year over the 9 games in Edmonton. Doubt many GMs and scouts will put much into the play in rounds

Another way of looking at it (it helps me) is that the Oilers exchanged AA's rights for Turris and Ennis.

Look at it this way:

a. 2 - 2nds for AA at 3.0+ million
b. Take that 3.0 and swap out AA for Turris and Ennis for 2.6

Therefore, 2 - 2nds (and the 5th to get Ennis last year) for Turris and Ennis at 2.6

This is a satisfactory outcome.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Another way of looking at it (it helps me) is that the Oilers exchanged AA's rights for Turris and Ennis.

Look at it this way:

a. 2 - 2nds for AA at 3.0+ million
b. Take that 3.0 and swap out AA for Turris and Ennis for 2.6

Therefore, 2 - 2nds (and the 5th to get Ennis last year) for Turris and Ennis at 2.6

This is a satisfactory outcome.
It looks worse because he walks but he was not brought in to be a rental. In turn priced himself out of a contract in Edmonton and we walked.

Turris is gonna be interesting in the team. Contract wise what we are paying is good value but depends if he can play out the role. Him and Ennis are similar. Both on prove it contracts and might be able to slide into the top six for a game or two if need. Also proved the second PP unit something, although who knows how much that unit plays.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It looks worse because he walks but he was not brought in to be a rental. In turn priced himself out of a contract in Edmonton and we walked.

Turris is gonna be interesting in the team. Contract wise what we are paying is good value but depends if he can play out the role. Him and Ennis are similar. Both on prove it contracts and might be able to slide into the top six for a game or two if need. Also proved the second PP unit something, although who knows how much that unit plays.
With the cap staying flat that's the main reason he is gone. If the cap went up I don't even know that Turris or Barrie are in Edmonton this year.

So yes the flat cap sucked for us in AA, but it really helped us in other areas.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
(picture stolen from another thread)

Kahun 5vs5 production:
upload_2020-10-26_12-37-47-png.374399

In addition to:
- very smart player, just 14 PIMs over his whole 138 NHL games!
- plusminus +18
- 2.5 Points/60min with close to no powerplay time at all (for reference: RNH is at 2.8 with a lot of PP time and one of Drai or McDavid as his linemate all the time)
- great stickhandling
- speed

He walks into any teams lineup (unless the coach is terrible) and 1000% into our team. Literally every team in the NHL should line up to sign him.

This is a player that should normally get like a 4.5M AAV contract or so. His main problem is that he is still flying under the radar.

Hope Oilers sign him or there is some kind of agreement already made. Would be a shame if he doesn't get a contract unless he is demanding way too much given the situation.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Hopefully the plan is to sign Kahun and Bear both for about 3.5m combined as soon as the season starts and we can use the Klef LTIR.

This all depends on how long Klef is gonna be out for.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Yeah he'll likely score 20 again and continue to be a net negative to the team while doing so because that's who he is. That's who he was in Detroit, that's who he was in Edmonton and that's who he'll be on his next team.

A guy who will create a little offense for himself and a lot for the opposition.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah he'll likely score 20 again and continue to be a net negative to the team while doing so because that's who he is. That's who he was in Detroit, that's who he was in Edmonton and that's who he'll be on his next team.

A guy who will create a little offense for himself and a lot for the opposition.

This gets said for every player that gets chased out of here, Schultz, Dubnyk, Lupul, Talbot, etc. etc.

It's largely bull shit. Great teams find ways to get a lot out of less than perfect players, average/mediocre teams make excuses like that.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I recall thinking we overpaid at the time, I had AA valued at a 2nd and a 4th round pick at the time, that was the reasonable price to pay for a flawed player who has some real skill, but was an inherently risky fix to our hole in the top 6.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This gets said for every player that gets chased out of here, Schultz, Dubnyk, Lupul, Talbot, etc. etc.

It's largely bull shit. Great teams find ways to get a lot out of less than perfect players, average/mediocre teams make excuses like that.
We've also ran guys out like Yakupov, Penner, Brule, B. Pouilot, Rieder etc... that turned out to do nothing.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In the past when AA's name came up in trade talks I was not very high on the idea. I have always had concerns about his game going back to juniors. When the trade happened though I had higher expectations for his play than what we saw. I still think he could have had some impact, and it was for that reason I supported his QO. Though I must say that in retrospect I am happy that they let him walk given what has happened around the league so my support for the QO was a mistake. Similarly with respect to the cost to get him, I thought it was higher than I would have like to have seen but not really that much higher than I expected. Frankly had it been a second and a third I'd have been pretty satisfied at the time that the deal was at least fair value. He is a guy with more skill than he is sometimes credited with. I don't think his 30 gal season is so far off that he might not do this again. For em he a little like Michael Grabner. One year you might get 9 goals out of him. Then next it could be 27 and with no obvious reason for the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad