Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Friedman: Kahun 1 year $975k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Granulated Sugar Pastry? Granlund?
Thet would be ideal but he would cost too much. Hes a center who will only take a discount to be a top six center imo. But we'd have to at least check.

Would give us a 3c option if Turris doesnt work there or we want him as top six wing

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Why doesn't Kahun even crack the top 35 on TSN Free Agent lists?? Am I missing something?

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
There is a bunch of agents/players who really misjudge free agency this year. They went from taking a decent contract from their team to now just lucky to get a contract. The flat cap made 3rd and 4th line players really have to take a cut.

Reactions: joestevens29

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
There is a bunch of agents/players who really misjudge free agency this year. They went from taking a decent contract from their team to now just lucky to get a contract. The flat cap made 3rd and 4th line players really have to take a cut.
Makes me wonder if we could’ve got Granlund at Turris numbers if we waited? I’m sure Granlund would’ve balked at the time but right now it might look pretty good.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Thet would be ideal but he would cost too much. Hes a center who will only take a discount to be a top six center imo. But we'd have to at least check.

Would give us a 3c option if Turris doesnt work there or we want him as top six wing
Granlund has been primarily playing right wing since 2016.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
He's left handed. Should be an easy transition to LW
I mean, maybe, but he's all about cutting in from the wing. Pretend he's Russian.

I hope so. I do love the guy, and Kassian taking away his cap space has actively annoyed me for weeks. (yes, yes, Kassian has a role etc etc)

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
And that is not a bad thing. Maybe it's salary correction going forward.
You’re going to get an NBA model where the top players take a huge chunk and the role players are getting paid barely above league minimum. That might create some friction in the NHLPA where 5-10% of the players are taking up 60% of the cap.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It seems quality players can be signed for clearly less now, so I guess buying out a bad contract is a more lucrative option right now? Neal? Someone else?

Reactions: Chabot84

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Athanasiou looks like an absolute idiot for passing on 2mil. He should can his agent.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gonna be a ridiculous amount of guys that were regular NHLers last year on PTO's this coming season, battling for a league min contract.

Good year to be a bubble guy making league minimum, though. Some guys will have NHL jobs that maybe wouldn't otherwise. A golden opportunity to prove themselves.

Reactions: oobga

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
You’re going to get an NBA model where the top players take a huge chunk and the role players are getting paid barely above league minimum. That might create some friction in the NHLPA where 5-10% of the players are taking up 60% of the cap.
At least with the NBA, top players can play upwards of 75% of the game to justify that.

McDavid would have to play 45 minutes a game to have the same argument.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

Good point. I've never understood these rumors of the PA pushing for stars to take as much as they can, and being upset with discounts. There's a cap, there's a finite amount of money to spend. All these big contracts are doing is taking away from that money for other members of the PA... PTOs are more common that ever before and that is a big reason why.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Athanasiou looks like an absolute idiot for passing on 2mil. He should can his agent.

I think the idiot here is AA. Usually the player is telling the agent what he wants his agent to do and his agent goes and does it. Stauffer said last week that he thinks AA maybe wasn't happy with the role on the team (playing 3rd line) and went chasing other opportunities moreso that the money.

Reactions: frag2

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd still like to see them sign Kahun. I still think they need a guy who has the potential to play in the top 6 LW. Hoping he signs a 1yr sweetheart deal since at this point, not sure many of these guys are going to get paid anyway.

I dont really see Holland doing much until he signs Bear or guys are signing for 900k or something.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think the idiot here is AA. Usually the player is telling the agent what he wants his agent to do and his agent goes and does it. Stauffer said last week that he thinks AA maybe wasn't happy with the role on the team (playing 3rd line) and went chasing other opportunities moreso that the money.
Makes it worse. He played 9 games and 4 in the playoffs. Really not sure he will get more than 3rd line minutes and if he does he won't be making more than 2 million. I just think where he fits in the current free agents he really does not differentiate enough to get 2nd line. Could just be me

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad