Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Friedman: Kahun 1 year $975k

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I think the idiot here is AA. Usually the player is telling the agent what he wants his agent to do and his agent goes and does it. Stauffer said last week that he thinks AA maybe wasn't happy with the role on the team (playing 3rd line) and went chasing other opportunities moreso that the money.

Maybe he wants a setup like Duclair where he was given plum minutes on a weaker team to build his value? Still didn't help because 1) greed 2) teams obviously are still leery about his history. If that's true about AA one season of 40ish points and 20ish goals isn't going to be the automatic moneymaker he thinks it is. Best to show he can fit on a contender, be a good teammate, and do what is asked of him before expecting coaches and GMs will forget who he was in Detroit/Edmonton.

Reactions: Oilhawks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Makes it worse. He played 9 games and 4 in the playoffs. Really not sure he will get more than 3rd line minutes and if he does he won't be making more than 2 million. I just think where he fits in the current free agents he really does not differentiate enough to get 2nd line. Could just be me

Did anyone see the Kurt Leavins cult of hockey podcast where he basically claimed that AA came into the playoffs out of shape? (Doesnt necessarily mean it wasnt true though). I was always hoping for the best for him, but I think Holland used his money better by not signing him. Not sure that AA is going to get any kind of a great deal for next year.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
At least with the NBA, top players can play upwards of 75% of the game to justify that.

McDavid would have to play 45 minutes a game to have the same argument.

I think in terms of top players' impact on results, there's not a huge gap between the NHL and NBA (though the NHL does have a lot more randomness).

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Did anyone see the Kurt Leavins cult of hockey podcast where he basically claimed that AA came into the playoffs out of shape? (Doesnt necessarily mean it wasnt true though). I was always hoping for the best for him, but I think Holland used his money better by not signing him. Not sure that AA is going to get any kind of a great deal for next year.
I think depending on what holland does he could be a good pick up. He seems to have really misread the market. We can talk about what we payed for him but realistically we would be okay if he resigned and the cap moved accordingly. While @DropTheGloves brought up doing the Duclair route i'd say he already had that chance. Frankly if he wasn't really cutting it in Detroit than not sure what other teams would be lining up to give those minutes. He is probably being more judged over his time in Detroit last year over the 9 games in Edmonton. Doubt many GMs and scouts will put much into the play in rounds

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
hi my name is Andreas Athanasiou I am really good at skating fast, handling the puck and shooting but I have no idea where my teammates are at any given moment and I'm always surprised when I get the puck since I never know where it's going or what's happening around me and when I don't have the puck I wonder why no one is giving it to me

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'd still like to see them sign Kahun. I still think they need a guy who has the potential to play in the top 6 LW. Hoping he signs a 1yr sweetheart deal since at this point, not sure many of these guys are going to get paid anyway.

I dont really see Holland doing much until he signs Bear or guys are signing for 900k or something.

Apparently the Oilers spoke to Kahun's agent. It got nowhere so we went after Ennis.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There is a bunch of agents/players who really misjudge free agency this year. They went from taking a decent contract from their team to now just lucky to get a contract. The flat cap made 3rd and 4th line players really have to take a cut.
There were already talks that the union could end up fighting within. Have to think that could really start to happen now.
I think the idiot here is AA. Usually the player is telling the agent what he wants his agent to do and his agent goes and does it. Stauffer said last week that he thinks AA maybe wasn't happy with the role on the team (playing 3rd line) and went chasing other opportunities moreso that the money.

To me the guy is the same as JP's situation. Sure you might have to start lower than you think, but the sky is the limit for opportunity on this club.

Also didn't his agent tell him if you take 2mil they won't have a lot of money to chase other players? Thus giving him an even better shot to make his way up the lineup

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
To me the guy is the same as JP's situation. Sure you might have to start lower than you think, but the sky is the limit for opportunity on this club.

Also didn't his agent tell him if you take 2mil they won't have a lot of money to chase other players? Thus giving him an even better shot to make his way up the lineup

I dont know what the agent told him or not, but it certainly sounds, looks and smells like AA just didn't want to be here.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maybe he wants a setup like Duclair where he was given plum minutes on a weaker team to build his value? Still didn't help because 1) greed 2) teams obviously are still leery about his history. If that's true about AA one season of 40ish points and 20ish goals isn't going to be the automatic moneymaker he thinks it is. Best to show he can fit on a contender, be a good teammate, and do what is asked of him before expecting coaches and GMs will forget who he was in Detroit/Edmonton.

From our standpoint I agree, however AA I think just plain and simply did not want to be here for whatever reason.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
What a waste of picks. As usual, I will add the clause that I never wanted Athanasiou here and am on record for that.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Yzerman was asking for a first for AA. I still believe it was worth a shot for the seconds. Unfortunately it didn’t work out. C’est la vie. I’m not going to cry about him trying to add offense going into the playoffs. Injury and COVID derailed things.
cough granlund cough

Reactions: Aerrol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yzerman was asking for a first for AA. I still believe it was worth a shot for the seconds. Unfortunately it didn’t work out. C’est la vie. I’m not going to cry about him trying to add offense going into the playoffs. Injury and COVID derailed things.

Honestly no issue with letting him walk.

Never should have given up what they did for him. He was a bad player on a bad team with a history of being difficult to deal with come contract time and they paid a premium for him.

Interesting to note that Bertuzzi was just given a 3.5M arbitration award after back to back seasons of 45+ points. Tough to imagine Athanasiou would have gotten more than that.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Honestly no issue with letting him walk.

Never should have given up what they did for him. He was a bad player on a bad team with a history of being difficult to deal with come contract time and they paid a premium for him.

Like I said, for me, he tried to add offense and he tried to do that without giving up a first. This is a guy who scored 30 goals. I ‘m not going to be upset about it now just because it didn’t work. What’s done is done.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Like I said, for me, he tried to add offense and he tried to do that without giving up a first. This is a guy who scored 30 goals. I ‘m not going to be upset about it now just because it didn’t work. What’s done is done.

With the exception of Tambellini all of our GMs have "tried."

I have higher expectations than trying. Holland botched that trade on day one and it cost the Oilers some not insignificant assets. The weirdest thing about it is he should have known better with Athanasiou. He saw him for years in Detroit.

With the exception of bringing back Smith, I like everything he's done this summer though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad