Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if the Oilers could get Glendening as veteran depth as well in a deal with the Wings?

To DET: Puljujarvi, Khaira, Manning and Granlund

To EDM: Athanasou and Glendening

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
The amount of people ok to throw away a 1st for absolute mediocre players is
Baffling. Absolute desperation at the cost of the future. Think in terms of decades and not this year... shameful... “oh but we are wasting this good year start and mcdavid and drai years” 1. We get them at this level for likely 5 years minimum 2. the players themselves would be upset to poison the fields for one year of crop... only trade that pick for a game
Changer top line rhd or LW ...

Reactions: Skar

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Baffling. Absolute desperation at the cost of the future. Think in terms of decades and not this year... shameful... “oh but we are wasting this good year start and mcdavid and drai years” 1. We get them at this level for likely 5 years minimum 2. the players themselves would be upset to poison the fields for one year of crop... only trade that pick for a game

It depends. I would never trade the first for a pure rental.

I think it was TSN that mentioned when the Caps won the cup, they were the only team in the East that didn't trade a 1st for a rental that year.

But I would absolutely move the first if its for a guy signed to at least two more years who could balance out that top 6.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I reiterate - Kapanen is perfect for us on the 1st. He slept in and the Toronto media is doing its thing alienating him. Needs a change and can probably be had for below his value.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I reiterate - Kapanen is perfect for us on the 1st. He slept in and the Toronto media is doing its thing alienating him. Needs a change and can probably be had for below his value.
He would disappear in the playoffs. Plus aren’t we looking for a LW for McDavid and not RW?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If they’re giving Kapanen away then sure whatever, otherwise I’d rather go for an actual good player like Johnsson. More likely it won’t be Toronto selling. If they want Russell then we can do business..

Oct 15, 2017
Any thoughts on Fabbri as LW upgrade? He wouldn't cost a ton, and Prob could sign him for cheap short contract next year too.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Our 1st will probably be in the 16-27 range. When you look at our late 1st round picks the past 15 season we could be trading a potential Eberle, Klefbom, Yamamoto or Cogliano for a rental. None of these players helped the team right away but all became or are becoming valuable members of the team.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
If you trade a 1st or a top prospect like Broberg or Samorukov the player or his future can't be a question mark unless something crazy like Neal is included in the deal. This teams needs are obvious: top 6 LW, top flight RD, or a 3rd Line Center. However the reality is the team still has some cap issues to account for next year and has cost controlled in house options that are either surviving or have the upside to grow into critical roles by the end of next season (Nygard, Benson. Larsson, Bouchard. Haas, maybe McLeod). There's also an expansion draft coming up and protected assets hold extra value because of it. The Oilers need to recognize the opportunity to strike post expansion draft. Letting young guys emerge and taking advantage to dead cap coming off the book may be a better idea. I'm not saying you don't go get a good player if the cost makes sense but they shouldn't be desperate. Give Benson a shot and if that doesn't work look at adding guys who come in at a more reasonable acquisition cost or go big on a true impact player. Giving up a 1st for a guy like AA who has been so uneven isn't a good idea and we don't have the assets or cap to get quality rentals and keep them.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Flying out to catch the games against SJ and Nashville. Fingers crossed they that new winger in place. I doubt it though.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah Hall on the third line would be deadly. Too bad we can't afford that situation after this season.

If JP could have produced half of Ratboy or Laine's production... he'd be invaluable to our lineup this season.

Yeah, that JP pick bugs me more than any other pick in the past 10 years, including the Yakupov pick. The failed Yakupov pick is what allowed us to end up with McJeebus, so anything that led to that is perfectly fine with me (no matter the pain that was involved at the time). The JP pick was after McDavid, and he should have been the "1 shot scorer" we needed for McDavid. Can you even imagine a player the ilk of Laine on McDavid's wing? *drool* We'd have the best top-6 in the league with 97, 29, 93, and a Laine-like winger.

The JP picks just kills me every time I think about it.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

and yet the poll linked in the tweets below from the article still show us as the third most picked option for landing on a NTC list. Seeing as how most people don't have 2 team NTC, this sounds like much ado about nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad