Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "All in all it's a good life, I got what I want...it's all cap pain"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm thinking more like Dubnyks revitalization after the fans ran him out of town. I was one of them, so I look at it as a very real possibility.
Dubnyk 'revitalized' himself after the Oilers waived and traded him, then he was waived again by Nashville. His career was basically done, he had to re-work his entire approach, then take a 700K contract with the Yotes.

I'm glad he had some success, but 2 things that are FAR too often ignored with Dubnyk.

1. The Oilers put 10 years into developing and bring him along, they didn't lose patience after like a few games.

2. His career was basically done and he had to have true moment of clarity to put the work into staying in the NHL.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Trade him? What asset are you adding?
Cloned said if he has a good season.

Im sure you could flip him for a low pick at the deadline to a contender if needed. Although you could also just keep him for a playoff run at that point, if we’re in that position.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I had time for analytics a few years ago when it started gaining popularity, but I really do think they're ruining fans perspectives.

I'm so sick of seeing WAR charts every single time a signing has been made.

Player discussion was so much more thought provoking and interactive back when we all watched the games and evaluated what we saw. It's impossible to make player assessments and have opinions now without someone challenging it with analytic numbers.
Analytics have become a handy too but so much is out into expected numbers or how results should be with the player on the ice, rather than the actual results.

Like I believe Nurse is better than his analytic numbers but still overpaid...but not by a massive amount.

The analytics had Jones and Bear as great defensemen but if you matched it up to the tape, usage etc it paints a very different picture.

Analytics is a very handy tool and when used well can be very very useful. But WAR charts and all that tend to completely take situations out of things and call it a day.

Like take Warren Foegele for example. You look at him and his most common center was Jordan Staal. It would (as I did) would be easy to assume that Foegele is good but Staal elevated him. But if you look into the analytics,in a non small amount of time Foegele was actually better away from Staal than Staal was away from Foegele showing that they mutually elevated eachother and Foegele definitely brings more than expected.

Imho the NHL is a results based business. Goals for/Goals against are all that matters. If a player consistently has bad "expected" numbers then analytics guys say they are bad and overrated... But some guys CONSTANTLY outperform those numbers or under perform. Showing something that analytics doesn't. Raw talent.

Tyson Barrie is a guy who pretty often outperforms his expected numbers. Why? Because he is a skilled player. Give him the same shot and chance as you give most other defenders, more often than not he succeeds where others don't. Analytics really doesn't reflect that yet.

TLDR: Analytics is a strong tool, "analytics" guys use it as the be all end all and that it tells you everything about a player.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I had time for analytics a few years ago when it started gaining popularity, but I really do think they're ruining fans perspectives.

I'm so sick of seeing WAR charts every single time a signing has been made.

Player discussion was so much more thought provoking and interactive back when we all watched the games and evaluated what we saw. It's impossible to make player assessments and have opinions now without someone challenging it with analytic numbers.
Effin' rights man. I'm so tired of seeing those damn charts everywhere. People throw them up like it's the entire argument and nothing actually needs to be said or watched.

It's out of f***ing control.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Dubnyk 'revitalized' himself after the Oilers waived and traded him, then he was waived again by Nashville. His career was basically done, he had to re-work his entire approach, then take a 700K contract with the Yotes.

I'm glad he had some success, but 2 things that are FAR too often ignored with Dubnyk.

1. The Oilers put 10 years into developing and bring him along, they didn't lose patience after like a few games.

2. His career was basically done and he had to have true moment of clarity to put the work into staying in the NHL.

Yeah, what I am saying is that no matter the circumstances, anyone can revitalize themselves. Just because someone is failing now does not mean they will in the future. It is not guaranteed and every player is different. Wishing for someone to continue to fail just because they've had bad games is pretty low.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Effin' rights man. I'm so tired of seeing those damn charts everywhere. People throw them up like it's the entire argument and nothing actually needs to be said or watched.

It's out of f***ing control.

I agree. I dont mind seeing people post the charts and then talking about them or using them as a tool but they only demonstrate so much.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
f*** them charts and the horse they rode in on I always say.
upload_2021-8-12_22-34-35.gif

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Meh. It's not like the alternative is better. The "eye test" is usually like 90% just what people have heard and not actually what they've seen.

The main board on here is basically built on people pretending to be experts on players after maybe catching a game or two of the player in a season haha.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Exactly. Both analytics and eye test are extremely flawed. Only the greatest hockey minds can make sense of it all do a holistic approach of both evaluation techniques and make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad