Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "All in all it's a good life, I got what I want...it's all cap pain"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This is the same Dom who didn’t have Draisaitl on his Hart ballot the year he won it, or John Carlson on his Norris ballot when he had his great season that year, because his model said they were bad players. The Athletic is good and bad, as someone who has subscribed since it began, Dom is very deep in the bad pile when it comes to his model and hockey for me.
He left Couturier (the winner) off his Selke ballot as well.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I had a dream that Koskinen posted a .915 season and Holland re-signed him for 2 years, 3M per.

kanye-1.gif

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I had a dream that Koskinen posted a .915 season and Holland re-signed him for 2 years, 3M per. I woke up and was drenched with meh.
I had a different variation of the same dream. For whatever reason I was house shopping with Mikko and we looked at two places. I had a bad feeling about the first place, a dejavu case, actually. The second was nice but then I woke up in a sweat and with a patch of bedbug bites....

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It actually does bring up a bad dilemma. If Koskinen actually has a good season, do you still move on from him?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I question whether some of these accounts with "models" don't straight up make up numbers, or at least manipulate data, strictly for the purpose of driving clicks.

They rely solely on edgy player ratings and capitalizing on hate towards certain players to stay afloat.

I know analytics can be a useful tool if correct and accurate. Just a few too many loud dinguses for my taste.

I think the problem is that you have these analytic people doing this type of stuff and theres really no consequence for their actions. And then they release it out to millions of people on the internet. They write this stuff and if its controversial, like you said, it drives up more discussion and clicks about it. And I am sure that they dont actually watch the games with the players playing because its damn near impossible, to watch every player in this league. Its like an Oilers fan suddenly becoming an expert on Foegele and Borgault after watching a couple clips on the internet about them. Dom probably only watches Nurse when he plays the Leafs. I am sure that he even knows enough to know that Nurse isnt a 4.5 million dollar player ... but I doubt he cares ... its good for business and his model is awesome.

Reactions: NeverForget06

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Would you trade him at the deadline to maximize return or cross your fingers and hope he can play well in the playoffs?

Really depends at the goalie situation at the time. But theoretically no. If he's playing well, why trade him...makes zero sense

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Really depends at the goalie situation at the time. But theoretically no. If he's playing well, why trade him...makes zero sense
There’s history with his inconsistency from year to year so trading him would be a legitimate consideration in that situation imo.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Edmonton Oilers contract efficiency, per Dom Luszczyszyn
lbdvKQe.png

The other thing funny about the chart is that hes showing Klefbom as a 60% chance to reach the value of his contract. Based on what? He hasnt played in forever. Hes not likely to even play again. I mean you can write out whatever your model spits out, but obviously there are cases where you cant write down what the model tells you.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Edmonton Oilers contract efficiency, per Dom Luszczyszyn
lbdvKQe.png

I had time for analytics a few years ago when it started gaining popularity, but I really do think they're ruining fans perspectives.

I'm so sick of seeing WAR charts every single time a signing has been made.

Player discussion was so much more thought provoking and interactive back when we all watched the games and evaluated what we saw. It's impossible to make player assessments and have opinions now without someone challenging it with analytic numbers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well, you have to consider the oiler effect, where ex-oilers do seem to do better on other teams...
No I consider that to be a thing that so many assume and internalize like it doesn't happen with every other team in the league.

Steve Mason for Sergei Bobrovsky, that's what I was referencing if you where wondering.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
No I consider that to be a thing that so many assume and internalize like it doesn't happen with every other team in the league.

Steve Mason for Sergei Bobrovsky, that's what I was referencing if you where wondering.

I'm thinking more like Dubnyks revitalization after the fans ran him out of town. I was one of them, so I look at it as a very real possibility.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't know if that translates to what salary they should make since it's saying Lagesson is worth $200k which is obviously impossible.
"dom" tweeted out Nurse's value was $35.2M over eight years the day the contract was was signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad