Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "All in all it's a good life, I got what I want...it's all cap pain"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Edmonton Oilers contract efficiency, per Dom Luszczyszyn
lbdvKQe.png
Dom's shitty model also thinks Nurse's true market value is $4.4M AAV for eight years.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
To me it's an interesting situation. On one hand you need to let your season ticket holders know sooner rather than later. On the other hand it's just a flipping shit show if you do come out and say you need vaccines to get in.

Then again no matter what the Oilers would announce I'm sure there would be some sort of public outcry.

There was an outcry by certain groups when the Bombers announced they were going that route, but the very large majority were fine with it. Will always be background noise. Same thing today with the Jets announcement. Outrage by the usual groups. That will never end. I’d rather not have to go this route, as generally not a fan of more govt involvement in my life, but at this point, I’m fine with it, as the virus doesn’t appear to be going away anytime soon, and the majority of us just want to get some kind of a normal routine back in our lives, without stop/start restrictions continuing.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There was an outcry by certain groups when the Bombers announced they were going that route, but the very large majority were fine with it. Will always be background noise. Same thing today with the Jets announcement. Outrage by the usual groups. That will never end. I’d rather not have to go this route, as generally not a fan of more govt involvement in my life, but at this point, I’m fine with it, as the virus doesn’t appear to be going away anytime soon, and the majority of us just want to get some kind of a normal routine back in our lives, without stop/start restrictions continuing.
Judging by the main boards it didn't even seem like there was much outcry from Jets fans. Seemed to be a bunch of people that don't even live in the Country.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Dom's shitty model also thinks Nurse's true market value is $4.4M AAV for eight years.

His model is faulty (see the Habs/Knights series as an example) and he is a blatant Leafs fanatic, don’t really know how this guy has a job for a supposed neutral news source.
though to be honest the Athletic is anything but neutral, the obvious bias and snide remarks about the Oilers from many of their writers is why I happily cancelled.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
How does he get 12.2M? I see on CapFriendly we have 4.166,667M in Dead cap (Funny enough, that's $333 less than Klefboms contract, which really, we are playing with virtually no dead cap space as he is on LTIR)

I think that's the cumulative dead cap money owing on Oiler Robidas Islanders.

I don't know how this guy gained such an oversized reputation. Looked at the guy's background thinking it would be some sort of NASA-esque Rainman of data crunching and see he's a journalism grad. The Athletic really does a good job of pumping one another's tires as contributors. Been tempted to trial it a few times but thud to a stop when I see Oilers contributors are Lowtide and Willis...

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
His model is faulty (see the Habs/Knights series as an example) and he is a blatant Leafs fanatic, don’t really know how this guy has a job for a supposed neutral news source.
though to be honest the Athletic is anything but neutral, the obvious bias and snide remarks about the Oilers from many of their writers is why I happily cancelled.

Yeah, that and the volume of articles on the Oilers has tanked, even with DNB returning from his leave. Essentially it was all predicated on whenever Lowetide could pump them out and when Willis decided to post one every month

Regarding Dom, he barely hides his Leaf blowing and anytime his model makes the Oilers look good he makes a snide remark or at best some backhanded compliment. Then you get to suffer through the other haters. The comments section makes HFMains look like a bunch of Mensa Candidates

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He didn't do that for Toronto though so how would that be any different here? I like Hyman, but slot him into our lineup for that series and we still lose. There was so many problems we had in that series that one single player of Hymans caliber wouldn't of changed much. That's not a knock on Hyman, that's a knock on the notion that we were a single forward away from going from a sweep to a guanteed series win.

He did it for Toronto . Not his fault old man Matthews is shooting blanks in the playoffs . Matthews wants to be the man but playoff time he disappears like the invisible woman .

Reactions: Duke74 and Biltmore

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think that's the cumulative dead cap money owing on Oiler Robidas Islanders.

I don't know how this guy gained such an oversized reputation. Looked at the guy's background thinking it would be some sort of NASA-esque Rainman of data crunching and see he's a journalism grad. The Athletic really does a good job of pumping one another's tires as contributors. Been tempted to trial it a few times but thud to a stop when I see Oilers contributors are Lowtide and Willis...
Actually DNB does a particularly good job in his coverage. Though he's not doing himself a lot of favors in recent Holland interviews.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if we might move Kassian for Khudobin? Kassian has 1 more year left on his deal and the 3rd year of his deal would see him being paid less than his AAV, $2.3 million in actual salary in his last season on his deal.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Actually DNB does a particularly good job in his coverage. Though he's not doing himself a lot of favors in recent Holland interviews.

I remember his work in Saskatoon for my hometown newspaper, Saskatoon Star Phoenix. He's okay and I would agree the most credible of those three. Not enough to make me press the nuclear button 'subscribe here,' but maybe one day I'll break down.

Appreciate your reply and recommendation!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if we might move Kassian for Khudobin? Kassian has 1 more year left on his deal and the 3rd year of his deal would see him being paid less than his AAV, $2.3 million in actual salary in his last season on his deal.
I honestly don't think the team even wants to move Kassian. Seems like a fan thing more than anything.

There hasn't been any real rumors out there about Kassian other than Stauffer thinking PIT and NYR would love him.

I don't know where Kassian fits in Dallas either to be honest, although I don't know how their goaltending makes sense either. Why did they go after Holtby when they have Bishop, Khubodin and Oettinger. Sure maybe Bishop is LTIR, but even if he is why are they going to send Oettinger back to the AHL

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I honestly don't think the team even wants to move Kassian. Seems like a fan thing more than anything.

There hasn't been any real rumors out there about Kassian other than Stauffer thinking PIT and NYR would love him.

I don't know where Kassian fits in Dallas either to be honest, although I don't know how their goaltending makes sense either. Why did they go after Holtby when they have Bishop, Khubodin and Oettinger. Sure maybe Bishop is LTIR, but even if he is why are they going to send Oettinger back to the AHL

I think for what he brings relative to his AAV, we would consider moving him. As I see it, our top 3 RW's are: Pulju, Foegele and Yamamoto. Then you have Archibald who brings a consistent effort for less than 1/2 the cost.

As for Dallas, I think that they figure that Bishop is on LTIR and that they are looking to move Khudobin so they added Holtby hoping that he can bounce back.

Reactions: Oilhawks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Edmonton Oilers contract efficiency, per Dom Luszczyszyn
lbdvKQe.png

I think his models are a joke tbh. They don’t make a ton of sense. And I don’t think he does deep dives on how, his model can be improved. I am not really convinced that he doesn’t manipulate the parameters to fit his narrative better.

So his model thinks that Nurse should be making like half of what he is? Guy was amazing last year. Is he overpaid? Sure. But the guy has literally improved every year. If his model thinks he should be making 4.5 mil, its just flat out wrong.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I question whether some of these accounts with "models" don't straight up make up numbers, or at least manipulate data, strictly for the purpose of driving clicks.

They rely solely on edgy player ratings and capitalizing on hate towards certain players to stay afloat.

I know analytics can be a useful tool if correct and accurate. Just a few too many loud dinguses for my taste.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I question whether some of these accounts with "models" don't straight up make up numbers, or at least manipulate data, strictly for the purpose of driving clicks.

They rely solely on edgy player ratings and capitalizing on hate towards certain players to stay afloat.

I know analytics can be a useful tool if correct and accurate. Just a few too many loud dinguses for my taste.

It's the fundamentalism from some that becomes too much. In comparison, JFresh isn't even that bad, seen him say that a player is better than his model a bunch of times.

Others like Woodguy are still on the "Bear was the best right D on the Oilers last year" train when anyone honest with themselves knows that isn't true.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I dropped my Athletic membership as I really didn’t care much for his work and the Oiler coverage has been poor since day one. With Covid I’ve grown to care less about the other markets too. Holland hates the guy lol.

Reactions: barry halls

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's the fundamentalism from some that becomes too much. In comparison, JFresh isn't even that bad, seen him say that a player is better than his model a bunch of times.

Others like Woodguy are still on the "Bear was the best right D on the Oilers last year" train when anyone honest with themselves knows that isn't true.

NuMbErS dOnT lIe

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
This is the same Dom who didn’t have Draisaitl on his Hart ballot the year he won it, or John Carlson on his Norris ballot when he had his great season that year, because his model said they were bad players. The Athletic is good and bad, as someone who has subscribed since it began, Dom is very deep in the bad pile when it comes to his model and hockey for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad