Proposal: Rumors and Proposals: There'll Be Time Enough For Counting When The Dealings Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I would definitely consider it.

I hate saying this, Im 40. Been an Oiler fan my whole life. Ever since i knew what hockey was. But for the first time in a long time, im really bummed, Like i should move on. I know that its just the frustration speaking, but dammit, it would be nice to see some real progress for a change.

I feel like im in an abusive relationship

Exactly. I'm with you.

I made a major decision 4 years ago to decide not to give them a single dime until they show me a reason to do so. No tickets, merchandise, etc.

I still watch on TV and I still read these boards, but goddammit it's really hard.

I feel really bad for the tier 1 season ticket holders. That's the price of a really amazing vacation or something much less stressful.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006

I hate saying this, Im 40. Been an Oiler fan my whole life. Ever since i knew what hockey was. But for the first time in a long time, im really bummed, Like i should move on. I know that its just the frustration speaking, but dammit, it would be nice to see some real progress for a change.

Get Center ice and regularly watch the stars, Kings, Hawks, or caps play, it'll prepare you for the next 5-10 years of mediocrity when you realize just how far away the oilers are from being a contender.

DavidOilTroops

Jun 28, 2014
North Bay
Get Center ice and regularly watch the stars, Kings, Hawks, or caps play, it'll prepare you for the next 5-10 years of mediocrity when you realize just how far away the oilers are from being a contender.

I have center ice. Im an Ontario Oilers fan, so its pretty well the only way i get to see all the games. I watch a lot of other games too, which yes...adds to my depression to see how competent teams play lol.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

Two or three years ago I had to take a couple steps back and sort of flip the switch into 'whatever, we're not there yet' mode. Still way too much time on hockey related stuff, but I can't do games like I used to. The edge-of-my-seat stuff has been ending at the ~twenty game mark and I'm a lot happier for it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Changes are definitely needed. I think the concern was the need for MASSIVE changes, what you mean by that and how you know the are coming.

I'm no prophet and can't say anything for sure. Like I said, I'd be really floored if there were not really big changes in the roster before next season. I can't imagine there are a lot of happy folks behind the scenes right now with what's happened this season, and while a lot of guys in the past were content with letting things implode year after year, I would be stunned to see it happen with these guys.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That is what management has been doing. Its not working. We need a #1 minute munching play in all situations dman. We've got the assets to do it, just have to find a dance partner.

The Oilers have one asset to get a #1 Dman and he isn't for sale.
All this talk of Pietrangelo and OEL is useless. There's zero motivation for those teams to trade those guys and certainly not for the likes of a prospect (the 1st rounder), RNH or even Drai or Hall.

The fact of the matter is that Chia can't get picky. If he has to settle for a couple of proven #2/#3 Dmen then so be it. If he holds out for a #1 then he's going to fail miserably.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
"Why bother?"

Because half the season is still left and this club should do anything to try and get a few more wins. Playoffs or not, this team is an utter disgrace and they owe it to the fans to do anything possible to improve the team, even if it's a marginal upgrade. I'm not okay in the slighest with finishing bottom3 again and neither should anyone else be. Good teams take advantage of things like this. Connauton actually helped CBJ a lot last year and was part of the reason why they had a dramatic surge towards the end of the season. He's an upgrade on a lot of the guys we have here so it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot. If he doesn't fit in as well as we thought then you have lost absolutely nothing on it.

You have lost roster flexibility. It's not like taking on extra players happens with no cost. That roster flexibility, I suspect, is going to be sorely needed this offseason.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Klefbom-Sekera (PMD)
Nurse-Johnson (Shutdown)
Davidson-Reinhart (Rookies)
Gryba

Not bad when Klefbom gets healthy. Still could use another dman.

That is damn well dreadful. That's easily just as bad as we already have.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Watching OEL last night made it clear that we need a #1 D. He might be the best defenceman in the NHL. And to think our fans were offering RNH for him hahahaha.

We should trade RNH, Nurse, and a 1st round pick for a #1 D if it costs that much. We need to overpay and I'd be glad doing it. We lack that so badly and it's clear our defence is destroying our chance and winning games.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
We need someone who can shoot from the point and score

Without forwards willing to get a bit greasy and plant themselves in front of the net creating a screen, tipping pucks, and banging in rebounds it wouldn't matter if we had Al McInnis in his prime blasting away from the blue line. Goalies are rarely beaten clean if they can see the puck these days. I firmly believe the forwards on this team are just as much of a problem as the personnel on the blue line.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Hmmm, I find it's the opposite around here: this board loves unproven players, hates anyone with more than 200 games under their belts.

My issue with the GR deal is it was a extremely high price to pay for someone who, optimistically, might round into a #4D.

I took into consideration our drafting history when the trade was announced and was OK with it.

I'm still hopeful, but not super optimistic about his future.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I took into consideration our drafting history when the trade was announced and was OK with it.

The thing that irked me was Bob Green admitting he had not seen Griff in the AHL that year. He was basing his assessment on Reinhart from watching him against junior aged players a year+ ago. Wouldn't you want to see how he played against men in the AHL before you part with such prime assets. Chia was certainly led to believe this guy was NHL ready and could work his way into the top 4 this year.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The thing that irked me was Bob Green admitting he had not seen Griff in the AHL that year. He was basing his assessment on Reinhart from watching him against junior aged players a year+ ago. Wouldn't you want to see how he played against men in the AHL before you part with such prime assets. Chia was certainly led to believe this guy was NHL ready and could work his way into the top 4 this year.

Well I somehow missed that tidbit, if true. That's really dumb for sure.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The problem with the Reinhart trade wasn't missing out on the prospects that they might or might not have drafted so drafting history should have never come into play (besides the fact that it's different scouts now).

The problem was not dealing valuable assets for immediate help.
Unfortunately, I think the OBC got in Chiarelli's ear about this great young defenseman who is NHL ready when in reality, he's a project with solid #4 upside.
He could still be a solid bottom pairing fixture for the Oilers eventually but man did they blow an opportunity to really help the team now.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
You have lost roster flexibility. It's not like taking on extra players happens with no cost. That roster flexibility, I suspect, is going to be sorely needed this offseason.

Roster flexibility meaning what? Number of contracts? Connauton is only signed for this year.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
the problem is that after next season, and another year of uninspired play in the AHL, with a quick NHL callup involving even worse play, his trade value drops a LOT.... trade him now and maybe he holds onto some of that trade value.... if you wait until summer 2017, you might get a 2nd/3rd rounder for him, i'm not entirely sure you get a 2nd rounder for him right now actually

I'd agree with your last statement, cant see Reinhart having much value to any other team in the league. So I dont think he's the make or break piece in any deal we'll be proposing to some other team.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Except Green's department is the amateur side, so it's not his job to track all the guys he liked in junior as they turn pro.

That comes down to the pro scouts, and we all know their shortcomings.

I've had a chance to meet Green before, seems to be a very bright guy regarding evaluating amateur talent.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
The problem with the Reinhart trade wasn't missing out on the prospects that they might or might not have drafted so drafting history should have never come into play (besides the fact that it's different scouts now).

Unfortunately, I think the OBC got in Chiarelli's ear about this great young defenseman who is NHL ready when in reality, he's a project with solid #4 upside.
He could still be a solid bottom pairing fixture for the Oilers eventually but man did they blow an opportunity to really help the team now.

They fired the scouts a few days before the draft so I think they had no idea who they wanted to pick. Seems like a big blunder to me. They flat out planned to trade that pick for whatever they could get and all they could get was a prospect who didnt help us this year and is pretty questionable to ever really be a significant part of the team.

Oct 15, 2008
The Oilers have one asset to get a #1 Dman and he isn't for sale.
All this talk of Pietrangelo and OEL is useless. There's zero motivation for those teams to trade those guys and certainly not for the likes of a prospect (the 1st rounder), RNH or even Drai or Hall.

The fact of the matter is that Chia can't get picky. If he has to settle for a couple of proven #2/#3 Dmen then so be it. If he holds out for a #1 then he's going to fail miserably.

Nonsense. We have a high pick maybe even first overall in what looks like a good draft at the top end. We have a top ten scorer in the league in Taylor Hall. We've got some other good pieces to add as well, Nurse, Drai, EB's, Nuge, Klefbom etc.

Don't give me this **** that we don't have the pieces to make a big move. We do.

We need to find a situation that allows us to utilize them to get the player we need. Those do happen and we absolutely need to be ready when it does.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
They fired the scouts a few days before the draft so I think they had no idea who they wanted to pick. Seems like a big blunder to me. They flat out planned to trade that pick for whatever they could get and all they could get was a prospect who didnt help us this year and is pretty questionable to ever really be a significant part of the team.

I was thinking the same thing. If this was the case it's a brutal blunder. I sure hope it wasn't the case...:(....It's also starting to look like the decision to keep MacT and Howson around didn't do Chia any favors. He probably should have canned upper management first and then thought about the scouting staff after the draft.

Oct 15, 2008

You are suggesting Chia should come here and start making major moves without even seeing the team play one game?

That is completely preposterous.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Technically Chia didn't fire all the scouts. MacT and Lowe were his scouts

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Exactly. I'm with you.

I made a major decision 4 years ago to decide not to give them a single dime until they show me a reason to do so. No tickets, merchandise, etc.

I still watch on TV and I still read these boards, but goddammit it's really hard.

I feel really bad for the tier 1 season ticket holders. That's the price of a really amazing vacation or something much less stressful.

Good for you. I followed the same path after the half lockout, but when we drafted mcdavid I caved and got an oilers christmas sweater. But i buy all fake jerseys so Katz doesn't get money.

As for the emotion and lack thereof for the team, I agree with u guys, it's all become just too difficult to invest emotionally in this team past the 20 game mark. It lasted a little longer this year, but it almost hurts more knowing were in striking distance but we still feel so far.

At this point I'd do anything for a good defence core. And how does a team this bad for 10 years not pick up a number 1 dman?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Nonsense. We have a high pick maybe even first overall in what looks like a good draft at the top end. We have a top ten scorer in the league in Taylor Hall. We've got some other good pieces to add as well, Nurse, Drai, EB's, Nuge, Klefbom etc.

Don't give me this **** that we don't have the pieces to make a big move. We do.

We need to find a situation that allows us to utilize them to get the player we need. Those do happen and we absolutely need to be ready when it does.

Catch 22 is that any top D that's available at this point is one that comes with some major concerns attached (like Shattenkirk for example) which amplifies the risk of getting screwed over in a trade. Team's aren't trading guys like OEL or Subban or whomever for any price. Would you trade Hall for a guy who could walk in a year? I sure as heck would not.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Let's take a break from the negative and look at all the positive things that have happened in the last few years, like not signing Justin Schultz to a long term deal and abolishing the ice girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad