Proposal: Rumors and Proposals: There'll Be Time Enough For Counting When The Dealings Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I expect it'll take a helping of luck or an overpayment to get that one single top four d-man. Expecting two is wishful thinking. That said, I'd love to be wrong. If this team could add, say, Hamonic and Byfuglien in the off season we'd be set.

Klef-Buff
Sekera-Ham
Nurse-Davidosn
Gryba

This is why the Griffin Reinhart trade was so bad. They had assets to use, and this trade feels like they just traded them because they needed to do something. If no legit top-4 d-man was available than they should have used the picks and tried to package those guys with other players to get someone later on.

Now Reinhart will be put on the roster next year regardless on whether he actually deserves it and we'll have another rookie on an already young blueline. I guess that's the Oilers way. I'm not even sure if he'll ever be a top-4 guy, but man that was a terrible trade. Just the complete opposite of what they needed at the time and it's already showing.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Yeah.

That over the hill veteran with that bloated contract.

All he's doing is taking up a valuable roster spot and cap space that could be used to develop quality defensive prospects.

Just because it's a different kind of mistake than Ference or Nikitin doesn't make it less of a blunder.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
This is why the Griffin Reinhart trade was so bad. They had assets to use, and this trade feels like they just traded them because they needed to do something. If no legit top-4 d-man was available than they should have used the picks and tried to package those guys with other players to get someone later on.

Now Reinhart will be put on the roster next year regardless on whether he actually deserves it and we'll have another rookie on an already young blueline. I guess that's the Oilers way. I'm not even sure if he'll ever be a top-4 guy, but man that was a terrible trade. Just the complete opposite of what they needed at the time and it's already showing.

I think Chia expected, based on what he was told by Green/MacT/whomever, that Reinhart would be able to step in and contribute this year. Hopefully he learned his lesson about listening to those dunderheads.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
I think Chia expected, based on what he was told by Green/MacT/whomever, that Reinhart would be able to step in and contribute this year. Hopefully he learned his lesson about listening to those dunderheads.

I've never liked Reinhart, even as an Oil King I was hoping Edmonton wouldn't take him.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

I'd package him up for an upgrade on the blueline while he still has a some shine as a former top 5 pick. I don't think he has the speed or agility to be much more than a #5 defenseman.

Eberle, Reinhart, pick/prospect should be able to land something decent. Maybe Brett Burns if the Sharks miss the playoffs again. Hopefully they win the lottery and gift the Bruins Matthews for Martin Jones. That would mean a new GM most likely and hopefully a mini-rebuild for the Sharks.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I'd package him up for an upgrade on the blueline while he still has a some shine as a former top 5 pick. I don't think he has the speed or agility to be much more than a #5 defenseman.

Eberle, Reinhart, pick/prospect should be able to land something decent. Maybe Brett Burns if the Sharks miss the playoffs again. Hopefully they win the lottery and gift the Bruins Matthews for Martin Jones. That would mean a new GM most likely and hopefully a mini-rebuild for the Sharks.

If Chiarelli can admit his mistake and move him for an upgrade, then I'll have a lot more faith in him than I do right now.

I think San Jose was mentioned as having interest in him too, I think he could probably move him if he wanted to, lets hope this isn't MacT and Schultz 2.0.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Just because it's a different kind of mistake than Ference or Nikitin doesn't make it less of a blunder.

No. I'm just poking fun at how quick our fan base is to jump on players and prospects.

It really is first sign of struggle, ship him off and onto another.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If Chiarelli can admit his mistake and move him for an upgrade, then I'll have a lot more faith in him than I do right now.

I think San Jose was mentioned as having interest in him too, I think he could probably move him if he wanted to, lets hope this isn't MacT and Schultz 2.0.

yeah we need to move on from reinhart, i've personally seen enough to have faith that we will never be a top-4 guy.... if we could package him with something else (eberle, yak, 1st rounder, whatever) for a legit top-2/3 dman, i'd do it in a heartbeat

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think a lot of people should be prepared to be disappointed regarding Reinhart. I don't think he's going anywhere in the near future.

He's a defenceman in his 2nd year of pro hockey, he needs a bit of time. Chiarelli ****ed up when he said he was NHL ready, but he shouldn't be written off as a prospect.

Reinhart has one more year left on his entry level deal. No point in making a decision on him until the end of next season.

We need to forget his draft position, what they traded for him, etc. He's a 21 year old in his 2nd pro season.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

100% correct. A sign of true leadership is willing to admit you made a mistake and doing what you can to correct it, not clinging selfishly to your bad decisions in an ego driven stubbornness.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I agree. Im at the point myself where i think only Drai, McD and Nurse and Klef stay. Everyone else expendable for the right price. I love Hall and Nuge and Ebs, even Yak. But clearly this is the wrong mix of players.
10 years of this ineptitude is inexcusable.

i personally would have hall in my "untouchables" list, and wouldn't have nurse in it, but that is just me

i'm with you though, anybody can be had off this roster for the right price (outside of mcdavid)... if somebody offered a legit top-pairing dman for hall, i think you'd at least have to listen to it

OEL (insert your own guy as you see fit) for hall? would you do that deal? i think i would

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
No. I'm just poking fun at how quick our fan base is to jump on players and prospects.

Exactly. It takes some guys a little time to get adjusted. Sekera struggled to start. He ain't perfect, but his game has definitely come around.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Hmmm, I find it's the opposite around here: this board loves unproven players, hates anyone with more than 200 games under their belts.

My issue with the GR deal is it was a extremely high price to pay for someone who, optimistically, might round into a #4D.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think a lot of people should be prepared to be disappointed regarding Reinhart. I don't think he's going anywhere in the near future.

He's a defenceman in his 2nd year of pro hockey, he needs a bit of time. Chiarelli ****ed up when he said he was NHL ready, but he shouldn't be written off as a prospect.

Reinhart has one more year left on his entry level deal. No point in making a decision on him until the end of next season.

We need to forget his draft position, what they traded for him, etc. He's a 21 year old in his 2nd pro season.

the problem is that after next season, and another year of uninspired play in the AHL, with a quick NHL callup involving even worse play, his trade value drops a LOT.... trade him now and maybe he holds onto some of that trade value.... if you wait until summer 2017, you might get a 2nd/3rd rounder for him, i'm not entirely sure you get a 2nd rounder for him right now actually

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hmmm, I find it's the opposite around here: this board loves unproven players, hates anyone with more than 200 games under their belts.

My issue with the GR deal is it was a extremely high price to pay for someone who, optimistically, might round into a #4D.

Exactly, this is the whole problem. Even if we just picked prospects and at this point had two high end young prospects to pitch in a trade it would be a lot better.

Goes to the root of the problem, Katz. When Chia moved in it should have been a bloody house cleaning. He better realize very quickly that the likes of mact, Green and howson have no clue at all or he will sink with them.

DavidOilTroops

Jun 28, 2014
North Bay
OEL (insert your own guy as you see fit) for hall? would you do that deal? i think i would

I would definitely consider it.

I hate saying this, Im 40. Been an Oiler fan my whole life. Ever since i knew what hockey was. But for the first time in a long time, im really bummed, Like i should move on. I know that its just the frustration speaking, but dammit, it would be nice to see some real progress for a change.

I feel like im in an abusive relationship

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
the problem is that after next season, and another year of uninspired play in the AHL, with a quick NHL callup involving even worse play, his trade value drops a LOT.... trade him now and maybe he holds onto some of that trade value.... if you wait until summer 2017, you might get a 2nd/3rd rounder for him, i'm not entirely sure you get a 2nd rounder for him right now actually

Everyone just assumes that he's going to suck next year.

Don't get me wrong, he needs to play better, but I think he'll show us something in the 2nd half of this year.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm surprised at the Reinhart distain right now. Considering the lack of moves, I'll guess not many pieces were in play and Chai just tried to turn the the pick into a somewhat more developed pospect.

Anyways my hope for the next few months...

RNH +2nd for Shattenkirk + Berglund
Slight overpay, but this team can afford it. You solve the team's biggest need, dealing from a position of strength for weakness, and you get a body back that can replace Nuge's role. Shattenkirk's contract situation is a risk, but they have the opening and cap-space to resign him. This isn't like Yandle in NY, where he's not getting minutes or opportunities. 7 mil could easily be accomidated, and he gets to be "the guy" here.​

Davidson and a middle pick(3rd/4th) for Tytuin
Not a fan of giving of a decent developing defenceman, but you need to choose between him and Nurse for getting sheltered 3rd pairing minutes. It can't be both, or you're going to screw both their developments.
Columbus is likely looking to shed salary, and move out the non-longterm options. Yes he's tracking down, but he can still shelter Nurse a bit, and then move aside by the time Reinhart loses his wavier exemption after next season.​

Letestu for Matthais (resign 2mil)
Toronto moves an expering middling asset for a Babcock style player with term. Edmonton gets a big body for suited to the West, and a guy who's played well with Kassian in the past (judging by what the Vancouver fans have said).​

Purcell for a pick
It's a sellers market and he's having a decent year, so cash in on it. Similar to the Davidson/Nurse point, I don't think you can have both Eberle and Purcell on the roster and be successful, as they need the same role to be effective.​

Leaves you with...

Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Matthias-Berglund-Kassian
Korpikoski-Hendricks-Pakarinen

Klefbom-Shattenkirk
Tytuin-Sekera
Nurse-Fayne

Talbot
Nilsson
Perhaps a few games for Brossoit to see where he's at.

PB: Gyrba: Has done a decent job when ask to play a depth role. Plus he can step in vs. without being a liability vs. most teams.
Lander As a PB forward he works well: cheap contract, good attitude, can step in when needed, and at least PK
Kessy (next season): Loses his wavier exemption next season, he replaces the Klinkhammer/Gazdic role.

PP:
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Shattenkirk-Klefbom

Kassian-Draisaitl-Hall
Eberle-Sekera

PK:
Hendricks-Korpikoski
Berglund-Matthias
McDavid/Draisaitl-Pouliot

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I sure hope so. He's a guy I've brought up a few times before. He's not a star #1 dman, but he's a solid enough #2, that can play in any situation

Klefbom-Sekera (PMD)
Nurse-Johnson (Shutdown)
Davidson-Reinhart (Rookies)
Gryba

Not bad when Klefbom gets healthy. Still could use another dman.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

I don't see how that would inspire faith; it'd be a pennies on the dollar situation before we know what the kid is really capable of.

People need to get the Hamilton thing out of their minds. Chia overpaid by a little to get a guy the organization wanted. We're a team that needed NHL ready(ish) defense more than we needed risky forwards 3-4 years down the road. Not a big deal. I definitely don't see this as the colossal **** up that you guys do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad