Proposal: Rumors and Proposals: There'll Be Time Enough For Counting When The Dealings Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So after a flurry of trade activity, what's next? More deals or another lengthy lull?

1B, you mean. There are no 55-60 point 2B centres.

Meanwhile you wonder if Hamonic's value is tumbling. Minus 3 tonight. Not great stats this year so far. Third highest minutes tonight behind de Han and some guy I've never heard of.

They still don't have Boychuk back then.

As far as I'm concerned, Nuge @6 million as a complimentary winger on a line featuring hall drai or Mcdavid, is just fine by me.

Nothing wrong with having depth.

Hall Drai Purcell
Pouliot Mcdavid Yak
Kassian/Pak/Klinkhammer Nuge Eberle
Hendricks Letestu Korp

I wouldn't mind finishing the year like that for forwards.

It gives us the option to move people out at the deadline, and in case injury hits, you have 2 very capable top 6 players on the third line to fill in, with kassian being a wild card.

Might he be getting a little impatient with the no go Snow show?

Hopefully Snow bites the bullet and caves.

The thing about trade demands is time is never on your side. Retaining leverage in this situation is tough because any other GM worth their salt will wait it out until they get what they want.

I think Hamonic's highest value will be at the deadline and if Snow is smart he moves him at his highest.

Waiting beyond that and you get a Luongo situation.

Got to figure it weighs on him. Snows hand may get forced... I think our offer stands at Yak, like it or not.

I'd rather have Eberle at wing than Nuge if we have to trade one of them. Goals, goals, goals. See how they play this season though I guess, if you can try Nuge at wing when McDavid returns.

I would say the opposite will likely be true. McDavid is weak on faceoffs and coming off a shoulder injury so it is unlikely he'll be better. Most of the great centermen in the league have played some time on the wing when they were young so it wouldn't hurt him.

And I can't see Snow making any trade until Boychuck returns.

Hopefully Snow waits long enough that Hamonic's value becomes Schultz plus a 2nd.

If Pavelski can play wing so can RNH. RNH would be a decent winger I agree.

McDavid, Drai and RNH are not bottom 6 players as it is today.

Not aimed at you, but this should illustrate why Chiarelli didn't pull the trigger on Jones with McDavid out.

OR he tried to pull the trigger but Poile preferred RyJo to Nuge! Which was the indication from one of the TSN guys - that Nashvilles #1 target was always RyJo.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not sure why Oil fans are freaking out over this... Oilers will get its RD and hopefully without giving up a core player... Lets all calm down. jones was not going to put us over the top... even with Jones Oilers D wouldve been one of the worst in the league.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not sure why Oil fans are freaking out over this... Oilers will get its RD and hopefully without giving up a core player... Lets all calm down. jones was not going to put us over the top... even with Jones Oilers D wouldve been one of the worst in the league.

Byfuglien and Hamonic are much better fits for us over the next 2-3 seasons. With how fragile this teams psyche is we need guys with experience in top pairing roles while we learn how to win games.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Hamonic has to be the Oilers top priority now with Buff as the runner up as a UFA signing. Nashville was our prime trade target with Weber, Jones and Ellis on the right side but that ship has sailed now. What other teams have a surplus of top 4 RD's?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Chia better land Harmonic is all I'm going to say.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Chiarelli knows when to hold em.

Or Poile knew when to fold em for a better hand.

For all we know, Chia was ready to pull the trigger but Poile always had Johansen as his #1 target.
I do think that Chia would prefer to target a vet Dman though. He knows what's up.

KidAnger

Sep 12, 2015
Edmonton
Or Poile knew when to fold em for a better hand.

For all we know, Chia was ready to pull the trigger but Poile always had Johansen as his #1 target.

Exactly!

I've never got people's reaction every time there is a trade for a player the oilers could be interested in - that it's the oilers GM dropping the ball.

There's 2 party's that have to agree, and clearly Poile liked RyJo better than Nuge for HIS team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Here is my problem with either Buff or Burns and this might only be my problems

Buff is 30 and so it Burns

we are not in a win now mod and we are about 4 years away from that the way things are going--by the time we start getting into a win now mode--these tow guys will be starting to slide and they will be on contracts--by guess of 7 to 8mill a year--if on line reports are correct--those would be worse then Brad Ference(IMO)

With Burns we get a guy who likes to go to the Gym--Buff gets into game shape by playing games.

for me we need someone between the age of 21 to 25 (yes I realize this matched Jones to a T) who can grow and develop with the team. Not 30 year old who's career will be winding down as we get into win now mode and tying up money we would need to free up to sign younger versions of them--this is just me

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Here is my problem with either Buff or Burns and this might only be my problems

Buff is 30 and so it Burns

we are not in a win now mod and we are about 4 years away from that the way things are going--by the time we start getting into a win now mode--these tow guys will be starting to slide and they will be on contracts--by guess of 7 to 8mill a year--if on line reports are correct--those would be worse then Brad Ference(IMO)

With Burns we get a guy who likes to go to the Gym--Buff gets into game shape by playing games.

for me we need someone between the age of 21 to 25 (yes I realize this matched Jones to a T) who can grow and develop with the team. Not 30 year old who's career will be winding down as we get into win now mode and tying up money we would need to free up to sign younger versions of them--this is just me

4 years from win now mode? What? Yes, I think that's just you.
They should be in win now mode starting next season or even by the deadline this season if they are hanging around the playoff race. Otherwise, what was the point of bringing Chiarelli in?

They need experience on the blueline. I'd prefer not to give a lengthy term deal to Buff but if he's willing to sign here, they might have to jump on that since the options will be slim. Can't continue to wait on the kiddies to become men. They need some men on that blueline, men who have been through the wars.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
4 years from win now mode? What? Yes, I think that's just you.
They should be in win now mode starting next season or even by the deadline this season if they are hanging around the playoff race. Otherwise, what was the point of bringing Chiarelli in?

They need experience on the blueline. I'd prefer not to give a lengthy term deal to Buff but if he's willing to sign here, they might have to jump on that since the options will be slim. Can't continue to wait on the kiddies to become men. They need some men on that blueline, men who have been through the wars.

Do I want to say 4 years from now? no--I would love to say next year---too many holes and too many issues and those will hopefully addressed between now and next season--but I do not think all of them will

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Do I want to say 4 years from now? no--I would love to say next year---too many holes and too many issues and those will hopefully addressed between now and next season--but I do not think all of them will

I agree although I don't think there is as many holes as some seem to think but they need to start activating win now mode this offseason.
If they could get a 25 year old cost controlled Hamonic, great, but if they don't, they might have to look at a 31 year old Buff. I'm not his biggest fan but at some point, the Oilers are going to have to accelerate the process and it has to be soon. The cap crunch looms and they need to have a winner by the time it does.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's time to win now. Enough of the waiting BS. We need solid veteran defensemen more than a guy like Jones right now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And he knows when to fold 'em, No Nuge for you Poile! :laugh:

I'm sure it'll come out in the next few months what actually happened.

I really get the feeling Chiarelli said no to RNH for Jones. Call it gut or whatever. I think - much like the flurry of goalies moved before Chiarelli got his guy - he still has his true target in his sights.

Hamonic.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I really get the feeling Chiarelli said no to RNH for Jones. Call it gut or whatever. I think - much like the flurry of goalies moved before Chiarelli got his guy - he still has his true target in his sights.

Hamonic.

I maintain that we weren't as high on Jones as many here are. Guys like Hamonic and Byfuglien play a lot grittier and stronger games than Jones does.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Hamonic.

I never made a prediction before but I say Hamonic will be an oiler by next year. "Book it?" :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Buff 7 years @ 7 to 8mill a year? are you happy with that?

I'd prefer $7 million for 6 seasons for Buff. There's a reason why we locked up Hall, RNH and Eberle to their deals, it was to allow us more $ to go UFA shopping years later. Does Sekera look bad for $5.5 million? Buff brings a lot more physicality and offense to his game.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

No team is 4 years away from anything. Just takes a smart GM making smart moves and probably a little luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad