Proposal: Rumors and Proposals IV | Excuse Me Sir, Could You Spare a RHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Lucic, Maroon and Drai especially make this team a little more diverse offensively

We've got players who can score on the rush McDavid, RNH, Eberle and players who bring more muscle to board battles. Diversity is a good thing

yup...like i said the only other key ingredient to being a rounded team is the GOALS from the D. That the D be threats. I actually have more faith in this group than others. I think Larsson showed me he can get pucks through and thats what we need, klef can be a threat, sekera better take pointers from Larsson about just getting the puck through the bodies. just get it on net and guys like maroon, looch, kass, drai, can cause some havoc.

I think some of those guys going to the net have to start punching dmen in the face when they miss the net or have their shots blocked. Guys dont take cross checks to the back and teeth and hacks accross the legs to just see the d flop a lame shot attempt into legs. Just get it through,.

Davey has a nice shot.

As i said i hope the coaches really make a solid game plan for what the d are to do in the O zone. it seems it needs to be taught and set for this team to get that last piece of the puzzle.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Watching that trade live on tv...i still believe it was MacTs trade. Chia looked VERY uncomfortable with it. i think it was one of those..."this is your call and if you flunk it...i never listen to you again". I think it happened that way and now MacT has no say.

Marincin being traded for a 4th was rediculous. i dont care what hand he was...he was a good asset here that was progressing. Maybe something happened behind the scenes. I dont see Chia making that trade...because there is no way he knew the player yet.

At that stage he didnt really know our team and he said as much before camp. he knew what we basically needed (everyone did) but hadnt been able to evaluate our assets individually. He wouldnt have traded Marincin for no reason...without looking at what he had UNLESS it was advised to him or a request from Marincins camp was put forward or there was a n attitude issue. i just dont see that trade made by Chia.

I still think he leaned on MacT and that that might have been encouraged for the transition.
Now its Chias team. he has evaluated and its his calls.

Watch the Reinhart trade footage as the deal is being made and announced. The entire time and a while after...Chia actually seems like MacT is trying to console/assure him. Nobody will ever make me believe otherwise. the body language i feel is crystal clear

We are both probably reading too much into his body language but I completely agree with you.

The comments about Marincin being too far down the depth chart to matter are a bit strange as well. He had a good year in Toronto overall from what I understand and has worked his way into the top 4 under Babcock. Tossing away top 4 defenseman for 4th rounders' is hardly something to be overlooked. Marincin while in Edmonton was getting top pairing quality of competition thrown at him so it's not like we didn't know his worth before he was traded either.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
Gustavsson isn't questionable, it is sheer stupidity. This year will prove losing Marincin for magic beans was a disaster as well. I guess we are learning why Chia was fired by Boston. No better replacement for management than another fail manager.

So tired of reading garbage like this. You have to take some chances as a GM and he's not afraid to do that. You can criticize his moves in Boston, but it led to a cup and team that was a contender for years. Marincin? Your still crying over him? Where would he slot in our lineup? As a soft 6th defensmen? Already have 20 of those in the system, thanks.

I love that he's made the team bigger. I love the Kassian move, no risk. Love the Maroon trade. Love the Lucic signing. Love the Versteeg PTO. Loved the Nilsson signing last year because it kept LB in Bakersfield and put the pressure on Talbot. Love the Caggiula signing. I love that he sent Fayne down last year. And I love the fact he had the balls to move Hall for Larsson knowing full well the criticism would rain down. It's a move I believe made the TEAM better, as hard as it might be to swallow. Chiarelli has a vision and is following through with it.

As a fan, I far prefer this route. Would you rather we went back to 'assessing the situation', and Ference/Nikitin signings? Bold moves indeed.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
So tired of reading garbage like this. You have to take some chances as a GM and he's not afraid to do that. You can criticize his moves in Boston, but it led to a cup and team that was a contender for years. Marincin? Your still crying over him? Where would he slot in our lineup? As a soft 6th defensmen? Already have 20 of those in the system, thanks.

I love that he's made the team bigger. I love the Kassian move, no risk. Love the Maroon trade. Love the Lucic signing. Love the Versteeg PTO. Loved the Nilsson signing last year because it kept LB in Bakersfield and put the pressure on Talbot. Love the Caggiula signing. I love that he sent Fayne down last year. And I love the fact he had the balls to move Hall for Larsson knowing full well the criticism would rain down. It's a move I believe made the TEAM better, as hard as it might be to swallow. Chiarelli has a vision and is following through with it.

As a fan, I far prefer this route. Would you rather we went back to 'assessing the situation', and Ference/Nikitin signings? Bold moves indeed.

Yup half of this board at least *****ed non stop that Tambo/MacT wouldn't do anything and we finally have a gm with the balls to make a move and everyone loses their minds. It's very clear that sitting on your hands doing nothing wasn't making this team any better

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
We are both probably reading too much into his body language but I completely agree with you.

The comments about Marincin being too far down the depth chart to matter are a bit strange as well. He had a good year in Toronto overall from what I understand and has worked his way into the top 4 under Babcock. Tossing away top 4 defenseman for 4th rounders' is hardly something to be overlooked. Marincin while in Edmonton was getting top pairing quality of competition thrown at him so it's not like we didn't know his worth before he was traded either.

Chia didnt know. Which is why i think he had nothing to do with that traade. he kept talking at the last camp about how he knew basically nothing of our players and needed to see them in action to evaluate.

Now if Marincin had gotten us a usable body back...maybe i would believe Chia made the call because he knew the East and all prospects there.

Plus Chia IS A DRAFT MAN. the draft is his thing. he takes alot of pride in his drafts. Argh...that reinhart trade made me uneasy from the start with Chias reaction...then MacT seemingly happy. ai ai ai

Since he started being able to evaluate players he has done a very grade A job in my opinion. I have faith in the man...and i have faith he learned his cap lesson in Boston. Talbot was definitely his call on target. He seemed set on him from the get go. Nice trade with Slats. Those who know me on this board know i was a bruins fan, as my second team, before they turned into a bunch of d-bags...and Looch, Bergie, and Krejci were the only guys i kept cheering for.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
People like to blame MacT whispering in Chia's ear for the Reinhart trade, but I bet it was Bob Green whispering in MacT's ear for who knows how long that was the real catalyst.

It's no secret that Green was a huge fanboy of Reinhart back to his Oil King days as that team's GM, it's not a reach to think that he was a major proponent in the Oilers moving Heaven and Earth to obtain him.

Whatever, the team will inevitably move on from Griffin. It's only a matter of time unfortunately. And in all honesty it's not his footspeed that's killing him, it's this vibe he gives off that he just doesn't want to play in the NHL badly enough. From rumours about questionable conditioning last year to his all-around quiet personality and lack of aggression, he's just not giving the team a reason to keep him around.

Can't help but wonder if he thought making the NHL was going to be inevitable because of his last name.

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Amen.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Can we stop all the Marincin talk here? Time to let go.

Is it true that any GM can sign Versteeg to a NHL contract right now? If that is true Chia needs to lock him up right away. The guy is better than half our forwards.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We have the assets to take a run at Lindholm. Anaheim will not want to trade him to a pacific rival but Chia can package something that would be hard for them to say no, Anaheim need more offense today.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Can we stop all the Marincin talk here? Time to let go.

Is it true that any GM can sign Versteeg to a NHL contract right now? If that is true Chia needs to lock him up right away. The guy is better than half our forwards.

He is still a free agent...so yes. Question is does he want to sign here

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We have the assets to take a run at Lindholm. Anaheim will not want to trade him to a pacific rival but Chia can package something that would be hard for them to say no, Anaheim need more offense today.

Anaheim doesn't want to re-sign Lindholm to anything over 6M. I think it is time to offer sheet him.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
People like to blame MacT whispering in Chia's ear for the Reinhart trade, but I bet it was Bob Green whispering in MacT's ear for who knows how long that was the real catalyst.

It's no secret that Green was a huge fanboy of Reinhart back to his Oil King days as that team's GM, it's not a reach to think that he was a major proponent in the Oilers moving Heaven and Earth to obtain him.

Whatever, the team will inevitably move on from Griffin. It's only a matter of time unfortunately.

Better move on quickly before his value drops to Yakupov levels, if it hasn't already. If he gets walked around a few more times like he did last night I don't see anyone offering anything higher than a 2nd for Reinhart. Hopefully Chia can package him with some assets for a player we actually need.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Kucherov not attending camp due to negotiations as well. First Drouin, now Kucherov. Poor Stevie Y, Tampa need Kucherov, he can play hockey.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Anaheim doesn't want to re-sign Lindholm to anything over 6M. I think it is time to offer sheet him.

He has all the tools, the defenceman we've needed for a long time. Some gm will throw him an offer sheet being an elite d today.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Kucherov not attending camp due to negotiations as well. First Drouin, now Kucherov. Poor Stevie Y, Tampa need Kucherov, he can play hockey.

Stevie Y does a good job standing a line. he wont budge. In all honesty a GM caant be budging in the cap era. you have to know how much you can devote to each position and if you exceed where are you taking money from?

he aint budging.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I honestly don't see them doing anything big Salary wise from here until McDavid is resigned if he is. I just don't see how they can add any more salary prior to knowing what McDavid will be at. His contract will be a lot.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
btw, its nice to see all the familiar names on the board.
yes, even replacement
Nice to be back with hockey season upon us.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I honestly don't see them doing anything big Salary wise from here until McDavid is resigned if he is. I just don't see how they can add any more salary prior to knowing what McDavid will be at. His contract will be a lot.

I think they probably figure he will be around stamkos for his second contract. that is a sweet second deal. i dont think it will be 10. who knows though.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Stevie Y does a good job standing a line. he wont budge. In all honesty a GM caant be budging in the cap era. you have to know how much you can devote to each position and if you exceed where are you taking money from?

he aint budging.

So you're saying throwing contracts to players like the ones MacT did for Gagner and Schultz is a bad idea?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
So you're saying throwing contracts to players like the ones MacT did for Gagner and Schultz is a bad idea?

also leaving yourself with only 2 centres IF YOU RE-SIGN Gagner....also not good GMing.

Stevie Y has depth. he can survive without Kucherov if he has to.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Winning might be the different between McDavid taking 8M or 10M. If Lindholm is only asking for 6-6.5M, why not try to make a move for him and start winning now?

The more we win the more McDavid will be highly endorsed as well.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Winning might be the different between McDavid taking 8M or 10M. If Lindholm is only asking for 6-6.5M, why not try to make a move for him and start winning now?

depends on cost of asset. if it depletes our forward depth and we run a bunch of rookies AGAIN....expect more failure.

I think we stand pat and see what we got. my gut and eyes tell me Larsson will be more than people expect.

Do i like our RHD side? No but Larsson is a top RHD imho. Do i want another? sure. does it make sense? maybe when you factor in Larssons great contract and Klefs. Maybe it allows you to have a 6.5 guy there too.

I got to wonder what Lindholm wants if a deal has still not been reached.

we have experienced forward depth for the first time in forever...i dont want to lose it and become an ahl team again.
Can we move one guy? yup. but i think it will be a big package for Lindholm.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

With you brother. Hear, hear.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

The more we win the more McDavid will be highly endorsed as well.

Endorsing is almost non-existent (relatively) and not worth talking about.

You go out and spend 6 million on lindholm, how do you pay for Draistail? Puli? Nurse?

I just don't see any huge changes until McDavid is signed.

Now, if you are shipping out some salary and taking some on I could see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad