Proposal: Rumors and Proposals IV | Excuse Me Sir, Could You Spare a RHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't understand how that helps. Isn't the point of having a crazy person in your lineup to prevent these injuries, not just to pound on someone after they happen?

Did you see Caggiula tap Maroon with his stick after Maroon was going after a Canuck after he got hit or elbowed? Players like to know that their teammates have their backs.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He looked rusty, but I'm not concerned at this time.

By hard to play against, I simply mean he's just such a large and strong man he is difficult for defensemen to handle.

Agreed. Hopefully his presence in front of the net etc is a dynamic that will create a whole new set of options for the team's other players.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It's not even about having a nuclear warhead on the team. The boys need to know someone will have their back as Bryanboil pointed out with Maroon.

We need to foster a culture of your team has your back, none of that BS we had last year

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think we're overblowing it a little. It was one game and Lucic didn't look great. If it continues the entire preseason then maybe start to worry.

If he looks uninterested come game 1 of the regular season then I'll have an issue, preseason is just a feeling out process for many vets.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Did you see Caggiula tap Maroon with his stick after Maroon was going after a Canuck after he got hit or elbowed? Players like to know that their teammates have their backs.

It's hard to express how much that matters. Knowing you have guys who will fight for you means a lot to the skilled guys.

McDavid knowing he's got Lucic with him lets him stand taller and play more confident. The skilled pretty boys do appreciate the role that guys like Lucic play. No amount of media or the anti-fighting/violence lobbyists will convince me otherwise. Hockey is a game of intimidation.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's not even about having a nuclear warhead on the team. The boys need to know someone will have their back as Bryanboil pointed out with Maroon.

We need to foster a culture of your team has your back, none of that BS we had last year

Lucic, Maroon, Gryba, Nurse, Hendricks, Kassian, knowing that someone is there to step in if stuff goes sideways is important for guys that aren't tough.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Fair enough. There is an emotional component that is impossible to quantify that probably exists. As long as we're aware that players are still going to get run and injured. That's a reality in the sport.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
The only slam dunk win is Maroon so far. Every other transaction is a question mark.

The 16th and 32nd for Reinhart is a fail. Especially since we had a choice between Barzal and Connor, two exceptional prospects. Gustavsson as a back up is a questionable choice and another top 4D was badly needed. Mark Fayne on the 2nd pair is alarming.

Gustavsson isn't questionable, it is sheer stupidity. This year will prove losing Marincin for magic beans was a disaster as well. I guess we are learning why Chia was fired by Boston. No better replacement for management than another fail manager.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Lucic, Maroon, Gryba, Nurse, Hendricks, Kassian, knowing that someone is there to step in if stuff goes sideways is important for guys that aren't tough.

Bang on, these guys aren't supposed to go out there playing dirty, but they're there for when someone tries to take liberties with McDavid, Eberle, Drai, RNH.

Gustavsson isn't questionable, it is sheer stupidity. This year will prove losing Marincin for magic beans was a disaster as well. I guess we are learning why Chia was fired by Boston. No better replacement for management than another fail manager.

One game into the preseason, let's fire up the fire PC thread already :shakehead

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Please.

Chia is an intelligent riverboat gambler. He's made many, many right moves. Has he lost one or two? Sure, comes with the territory. But, he's made us significantly better I think. We actually have a vision and identity forming, the Lowe/Tambellini/MacTavish era involved bumbling incompetence.

Chia actually is building towards a goal and surrounding McDavid with the pieces he needs. We have continuity and stability. How many HCs have we had in the past 5 years? Things finally feel stable.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
This year will prove losing Marincin for magic beans was a disaster as well.

Lollllllllllllllllllll

I was only half-kidding yesterday when I mentioned in the other thread that some were likely still ruing the day we traded MM.

Yes, I'm sure the Oilers will regret watching him pot another 7 points playing 16 minutes a night. It's not like we have three and potentially five better players than him at LD or anything; what a disaster. What a fail.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bang on, these guys aren't supposed to go out there playing dirty, but they're there for when someone tries to take liberties with McDavid, Eberle, Drai, RNH.

One game into the preseason, let's fire up the fire PC thread already :shakehead

I dont agree with this.
These guys are there to go out and "play dirty". Initiate contact.
They are not there to retaliate when someone goes after our skilled players.

Nurse's stupidity cost us a PP (which sucks). Nurse and the rest should have gone after Stecher etc with clean'ish hits instead.

Retaliating to goons is what we have been doing for a decade. Time to be the aggressors ala ANA\LA\BOS

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Funny I heard that last year.

Although didn't the magic beans turn out to be Gryba? Wasn't exactly bad for us

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Funny I heard that last year.

Although didn't the magic beans turn out to be Gryba? Wasn't exactly bad for us
To be fair, he's been check out on the team for a little while now, you'll notice he only drops in when he can drop negative BS when he feels he can get away without having to explain himself in any way.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Lollllllllllllllllllll

I was only half-kidding yesterday when I mentioned in the other thread that some were likely still ruing the day we traded MM.

Yes, I'm sure the Oilers will regret watching him pot another 7 points playing 16 minutes a night. It's not like we have three and potentially five better players than him at LD or anything; what a disaster. What a fail.

No arguments on Marincin being down the depth chart, but when you get a 4th round pick for him while sending a mid 1st and high 2nd for a worse player in Reinhart it does open the door for criticism.

Chia was obviously influenced by the OBC to bring in Reinhart. Total waste of assets and a terrible start to his tenure here. Otherwise, I've liked the moves Chia has made. He is building a balanced team that will not be easy to play, although we are still a few moves away from seeing the final product.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I like what he's done in general but proof is in the pudding. Time to win games. I have my concerns about the Lucic signing for sure, but there's lots of time yet to see how it turns out.

The idea that Lucic will prevent guys from being run is mostly a myth in my opinion but I just want him to play hockey so hopefully he can do that.

even before we signed him...i saw Lucic as a heavy force to use on the cycle and retrieval aspect of offensive zone play. We have mostly been a rush offense because of our personnel. Then we got Maroon and everyone was amazed at what could be done on the cycle. I liked Drais as well during Game 1 of the WCH finl on tuesday. he had two shifts were he dominated individually on the wall. McDavid can also win those wall battles.

thats the way you have to win. our old team couldnt win on the boards. They could win if teams wanted to play in the box or let us run and gun. but that wont happen often.

this team can beat you on the rush and cycle now. The defense looks better, we actually have solid goaltending,... i just dont know if offense will come from back there (goals not points). Thats the last part to complete the puzzle to a playoff team. That offense MIGHT be there. I think it will take a while for Larsson to get used to having more offensive freedom. If we can stay healthy on the back end i think that unit might cause some damage.
Id really like some coaching directed at what the d should be doing with their shots. it always feels our d have no game plan in the offensive end...just improvise. seems unprepared in comparison to every other nhl team where the guys seem to know what the d will do before they pass the puck to the d.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Lucic, Maroon and Drai especially make this team a little more diverse offensively

We've got players who can score on the rush McDavid, RNH, Eberle and players who bring more muscle to board battles. Diversity is a good thing

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I've been very pleased with Chia. So far the only questionable trade has been the Reinhart one IMO and I understand the reasoning behind it but it hasn't paid off yet and may never pay off.
The Reinhart trade was dumb from Day 1. LH, slow, not offensively inclined dmen was one of the last things we needed. He won't play ahead of Klefbom, Sekara, Davidson (Nurse looks to be passing him as well).

I really wish we just picked a good prospect that was on the table and then use that as a trade asset for a more proven dmen later.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
No arguments on Marincin being down the depth chart, but when you get a 4th round pick for him while sending a mid 1st and high 2nd for a worse player in Reinhart it does open the door for criticism.

Chia was obviously influenced by the OBC to bring in Reinhart. Total waste of assets and a terrible start to his tenure here. Otherwise, I've liked the moves Chia has made. He is building a balanced team that will not be easy to play, although we are still a few moves away from seeing the final product.

Watching that trade live on tv...i still believe it was MacTs trade. Chia looked VERY uncomfortable with it. i think it was one of those..."this is your call and if you flunk it...i never listen to you again". I think it happened that way and now MacT has no say.

Marincin being traded for a 4th was rediculous. i dont care what hand he was...he was a good asset here that was progressing. Maybe something happened behind the scenes. I dont see Chia making that trade...because there is no way he knew the player yet.

At that stage he didnt really know our team and he said as much before camp. he knew what we basically needed (everyone did) but hadnt been able to evaluate our assets individually. He wouldnt have traded Marincin for no reason...without looking at what he had UNLESS it was advised to him or a request from Marincins camp was put forward or there was a n attitude issue. i just dont see that trade made by Chia.

I still think he leaned on MacT and that that might have been encouraged for the transition.
Now its Chias team. he has evaluated and its his calls.

Watch the Reinhart trade footage as the deal is being made and announced. The entire time and a while after...Chia actually seems like MacT is trying to console/assure him. Nobody will ever make me believe otherwise. the body language i feel is crystal clear

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Gustavsson was bad but he had no support either. I expect him to rebound.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
The only slam dunk win is Maroon so far. Every other transaction is a question mark.

The 16th and 32nd for Reinhart is a fail. Especially since we had a choice between Barzal and Connor, two exceptional prospects. Gustavsson as a back up is a questionable choice and another top 4D was badly needed. Mark Fayne on the 2nd pair is alarming.

No it's not. Mark Fayne is a 2nd pairing defenceman.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Isn't this thread supposed to be about Trade Rumours and Proposals? We already had one to discuss Chiarelli. And for my money, I'm thoroughly unimpressed. We'll see how the regular season goes though, preseason never means much.

Surprising how many big name RFAs are still unsigned. I'd have thought we'd see some trades if all of them can't come to terms.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
You would think other management here would have a say about Reinhart since they had the chance to witness him being an Oil King. Chia was just sold on him obviously.

I know I was not happy at first with that trade believing Barzal fell, then that's mainly a 1st rounder and a late 1st for Reinhart. Soo many better d prospects at the time to inquire about also.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
The Reinhart trade was dumb from Day 1. LH, slow, not offensively inclined dmen was one of the last things we needed. He won't play ahead of Klefbom, Sekara, Davidson (Nurse looks to be passing him as well).

I really wish we just picked a good prospect that was on the table and then use that as a trade asset for a more proven dmen later.

i agree with what you said but this is lol Nurse has been ahead of Griff since he was drafted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad