Rumor: Rumors about trades that almost happened in the last deadline

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
This was more about seeing what was out there for the offseason.

Kevin Hayes to Columbus since the Blue Jackets traded Voracek’s cap hit.

The Flyers would have to retain heavily and Philadelphia would have to attach a high pick or solid prospects if Hayes were going to Columbus before the draft.
Call BS....You would never have to retain and attach a prospect.... you would just buy the player out??? Common sense...

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I am not disagreeing but is there anything other than conjecture that supports this?

There is or was a link to a podcast that was there but for some reason did not attach to my reply. It was discussed on there. I can not vouch for it but would not be surprised if it were true.

As far as the second comment I'll answer no. However that info did come from a ex NHLer for what it's worth. That ex NHLer did not have a lot of good things to say about the league though but I kind of trust him. Judging by his tenure in the NHL, the NHL was not very found of him either so there is reason for large bias on his part.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I am not disagreeing but is there anything other than conjecture that supports this?

It won't let me copy and paste for some reason but 1st page of this thread there is a podcast link that will give you context to my comment. 7th post down

No I don't blame you for not listening to it, I normally don't either lol
This was a special case

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Not with this deal though. Yzerman made the offer in the early afternoon, presumably after he was called by Fletcher on deadline day. What Wings fans heard was they were going to give up a pick or something to get JVR, then try and flip JVR at even further retention for a better pick.
That's consistent with what Stevie said in his presser after the deadline (about never considering being a buyer). Detroit was mosty likely a third team, and the team that actually wanted JVR probably pulled out.

Fletcher, and the article, are misleading. I suspect Fletcher's trying to play CYA with the fans.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Not with this deal though. Yzerman made the offer in the early afternoon, presumably after he was called by Fletcher on deadline day. What Wings fans heard was they were going to give up a pick or something to get JVR, then try and flip JVR at even further retention for a better pick.
Be hard to do since the Wings retained on Bert and Vrana and already were retaining on Panik.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
It won't let me copy and paste for some reason but 1st page of this thread there is a podcast link that will give you context to my comment. 7th post down

No I don't blame you for not listening to it, I normally don't either lol
This was a special case
If it was 32 Thoughts, I don't remember anything that has stats that say with any certainty that Home teams get more PPs than away teams. The last real notation I have seen was a study in 2009 that said home teams get 11.5 per cent more PPs....but that is certainly outdated.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Be hard to do since the Wings retained on Bert and Vrana and already were retaining on Panik.

Still unlikely that Yzerman was adding a pending UFA, unless he intended on signing him as a cheap stop gap for next season. Even then JVR is 34 and hasn't done anything of great value, and we already have Copp doing better than that as a vet UFA signing.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Interesting, as Montreal is thrilled with Matheson, at this point, and the consensus is Pettersson wouldn't have been as good a fit.

Matheson being a Montreal native does help, he clearly actively wants to be here.

Yep, and that's what we're talking about when we say we want Habs to have more local players, because of the "proudness" factor.

They don't have to be first langage francophones. Anyway a majority of Quebec anglophones speak good french and Matheson is no exception.

Matheson is clearly proud and happy to be here, and it shows by the way he plays.

He's our best player, by a good margin, since his return from injury.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
A trade for boeser almost happened as per brock himself.

Details is unknown though.
Link?
How about an ongoing thread showing how everyone that got traded is doing? Just until like the end of the season? Or would that be too much of a clusterfuq?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
It's a good thing the Pens didn't trade Pettersson tbh. He looked lackluster last season, but he has been their most consistent defenseman this year.
Bingo. If you’d asked me last year “which of Math or Pettersson would you like to see traded” I would’ve had a tough time deciding but probably said MP, because at least with Math there was the stellar offense and rushes.

This year’s version though? This years MP is bringing far more to the table, some physical edge, still producing points, and just looks smarter overall. Right now he is a tier above both the Penguins version of Math and previous versions of MP. I don’t know if those moves or the ice time lot a fire under him this year or what. Plus we got out of an extra year of contract with Matheson.

The thing I regret was losing Marino. But there too, if you offered me this version of Petry it’s a no brainer even with the age difference. And there was no way Petry was gettable with his contract without sacrificing two 4m defenders.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
Keep in mind, Matheson is LD, Petry RD, and RD are rarer. Habs are now short RD and have a surplus of LD, which will force them into more moves, not necessarily on their terms.

Don't start gloating. It's not a good look.

Most top-end D end up playing at least a bit on their opposite sides...
Not to be picky but I tend to slightly disagree. This year, according to pre-game warmups and Dobber final line combos for each game, the following top-end defensemen have played primarily only on one side every game. Since there are many more LD, the RD don't tend to change sides.
Klingberg - RD only
Chychrun - LD only
McAvoy - RD only
Burns - RD only
Slavin - LD only
Pesce - RD only
S. Jones - RD only
Makar - RD only
Toews - LD only
Suter - LD only
Seider - RD only
Nurse - LD only
Ekblad - RD only
Doughty - RD only
McDonagh - LD only
Hamilton - RD only
Dobson - RD only
Fox - RD only
Karlsson - RD only
Faulk - RD only
Hedman - LD only
Hughes - LD only
Pietrangelo - RD only
Carlson - RD only

Reactions: mattihp

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I don't know if someone already mentioned it, but there was rumors of TB circling around Edmundson.

Brisebois wanted to add a veteran defenseman but at the end of the day, he didn't have what HuGo were asking for.

HuGo are playing the patience game in his case.

It might be worthy... or not.

If Edmundson re-injures himself his value will plummet.

If he stays healthy and play good then they'll win their gamble.

One thing is for sure, he'll be traded eventually.

They won't lose him for nothing as a UFA.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Halak, Ryder and a 2nd for Tyler Ennis, Mike Weber and a 2nd

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Didn't Ottawa turn down that deal? Hall for Ceci would be way worse then Hall for Larsson.

If Chia was still GM he would have traded Mcdavid for Chychrun, 1 for 1 because the team needs defensive help.
The deal was pretty much done and just needed to be signed off by Sens ownership.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Call BS....You would never have to retain and attach a prospect.... you would just buy the player out??? Common sense...
If Fletcher wants 3 extra years of 1.6mil worth or dead cap then sure. I dont know how much retention or what a complete deal would look like but Im assuming Jarmo was working hard to bully an incompetant GM. We may still see it in the summer, possibly depending on the lottery results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad