Rumor: Rumors about trades that almost happened in the last deadline

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Interesting, as Montreal is thrilled with Matheson, at this point, and the consensus is Pettersson wouldn't have been as good a fit.

Matheson being a Montreal native does help, he clearly actively wants to be here.

I don't think Matheson was bad in Pittsburgh either, he just didn't fit with Hextall's vision of the defense...whatever that is, lol.

Reactions: pth2

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
J.T. Miller to Pittsburgh for a package of draft picks including at least 2 firsts, Vancouver declined because they needed a center because shut up.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
J.T. Miller to Pittsburgh for a package of draft picks including at least 2 firsts, Vancouver declined because they needed a center because shut up.
You’ve mixed up two different reports. Canucks asked for two firsts, and Pittsburgh offered a package that the Canucks were intrigued by. Doesn’t always mean they offered exactly what we wanted.

And the young Centre thing, Canucks asked around and nobody wanted to deal a young player because the teams that have them, ie Carolina and Kotkaniemi, are in a playoff spot and don’t want picks.

Reactions: CanuckCity

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Cody Ceci for Taylor Hall.

Jarome Iginla in a package to Boston that included Alex Khoklachev
Didn't Ottawa turn down that deal? Hall for Ceci would be way worse then Hall for Larsson.

If Chia was still GM he would have traded Mcdavid for Chychrun, 1 for 1 because the team needs defensive help.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Kevyn Adams confirmed he was in on Chychrun but that Armstrong wasn’t interested in the Sabres 1st and instead demanded Kulich or Savoie, which…no.
Lmao this is hilarious
So you or your GM wouldn't trade a recently drafted prospect for a top pairing defensemen who is 24 and signed 2 more years at 4.3 million?

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Kevyn Adams confirmed he was in on Chychrun but that Armstrong wasn’t interested in the Sabres 1st and instead demanded Kulich or Savoie, which…no.
Call me crazy but if I am Buffalo I am paying whatever futures necessary for Chychrun + Vejmelka and filling massive holes in the lineup. I'm actually glad they passed. They would have been scary.

The Sabres have Dahlin and Power, I don't think they're too miffed on losing out on Chychrun at the expense of a guy they just drafted 9th.
Kulich was #28

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
Why would the Wings even want JVR? He's a UFA and they're out of a playoff spot.
The idea was they were trading another forward, and would need bodies who can at least play in the NHL so they don't get blown out every game and ruin all morale and have young guys thrown in when they're not ready.

They have like a billion draft picks so throwing a later pick is pretty meaningless

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
TB wanted to trade for Edmundson but didn't have the assets Montreal wanted.
Hughes decided to hold onto him to trade at a later date instead of accept mid-round
picks or maybe a 2nd in 2025

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
This was more about seeing what was out there for the offseason.

Kevin Hayes to Columbus since the Blue Jackets traded Voracek’s cap hit.

The Flyers would have to retain heavily and Philadelphia would have to attach a high pick or solid prospects if Hayes were going to Columbus before the draft.
I doubt this. Retained Hayes is a coveted player for a team like the Blue Jackets. They'll trade assets to get him. Players don't typically sign with the Blue Jackets so trading for players with some term is a good tactic, NTM his buddy Gaudreau plays there and Flyers/Blue Jackets have history trading with one another.

I should add, it appears Chuck Fletcher will be GM for the long haul there so the Flyers could very well package Hayes with some valuable draft capital in return for some "futures".

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Per Dreger, the Pens and Canucks were close on JT Miller, but Vancouver ended up balking on the deal because the Pens were only offering draft picks. Vancouver wanted a forward with term coming back in the deal since they decided they "aren't in a rebuild" and they'd need someone to replace Miller in the lineup.
I wonder if part of the mathematics were that VAN/PIT agreed in principle on value—but that either Vancouver or Pittsburgh were looking for a third-team to trade a 1st round pick for a center... which not many teams are looking to give up at the trade deadline.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Call me crazy but if I am Buffalo I am paying whatever futures necessary for Chychrun + Vejmelka and filling massive holes in the lineup. I'm actually glad they passed. They would have been scary.

Kulich was #28
You’re crazy. Chychrun is under contract for 2 years and is then a FA. If the Sabres were contending for a cup this year I’d consider it. If the Sabres were desperate for a top tier PP QB, I’d consider it. But they aren’t either of those things, so I’d part with what Ottawa parted with. I’d part with Ostlund or Rosen or any other prospect not named, Savoie, Kulich or Levi. But Savoie is a blue chipper, drafted 9th, and Kulich is going to finish this season in the top 5 all time 18 year old scoring in the AHL. The Sabres are not a Chychrun away from being cup contenders. And it really doesn’t seem like Vejmelka was available.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't think Matheson was bad in Pittsburgh either, he just didn't fit with Hextall's vision of the defense...whatever that is, lol.
Hextall has a vision?

Man his vision must be really bad, Matheson has been amazing this year, much better than Petry and 3 times the skater. Really happy about that move, hope the penguins fans like Petry

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
You’ve mixed up two different reports. Canucks asked for two firsts, and Pittsburgh offered a package that the Canucks were intrigued by. Doesn’t always mean they offered exactly what we wanted.

And the young Centre thing, Canucks asked around and nobody wanted to deal a young player because the teams that have them, ie Carolina and Kotkaniemi, are in a playoff spot and don’t want picks.
And after all that speculation Allvin said in his presser that there wasn’t much around JT and other people speculated that the only team with real interest/conversations was the Canes. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Reactions: LuLover96

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Was Treliving in on everything until the bitter end as usual

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Buffalo’s left side for the next decade will be the best in the NHL:

Dahlin (22, 6’3”, 203 lbs, signed through 2024, about to get paid)
Power (20, 6’6”, 215 lbs, signed through 2024, 10.2c so can’t be offer sheeted)
Samuelsson (22, 6’4”, 220 lbs, signed through 2030)

Adding Vejmelka might make sense, but they had no need to give up an asset for Chychrun.

Reactions: LetsGoBuffalo1126

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Acording to the arm chair gm's HERE, THE kINGS WERE SECONDS FROM TRADINNG ALL THEIR POSPECTS AND FUTURE PICKS TO AZ FOR cHYCRUN IF az WAS FEELING charitable.
Probably should've opened the vault a little bit and paid the relative pittance it cost to aquire him rather than pay a small discount for worse rentals.
Cody Ceci for Taylor Hall.

Jarome Iginla in a package to Boston that included Alex Khoklachev
Man, I had high hoped for Koko way back when

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The rumour is that the Carolina Hurricanes were the mystery team that phoned the Canucks on the morning of the TDL regarding JT Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: