Rumor: Rumors about trades that almost happened in the last deadline

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
The rumour is that the Carolina Hurricanes were the mystery team that phoned the Canucks on the morning of the TDL regarding JT Miller.
Which aligns with the young C ask from Van (Kotka), if the Canes don’t get to rd 3 I could see this being re-hashed in the off-season/draft perhaps.

Reactions: Noldo

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Buffalo’s left side for the next decade will be the best in the NHL:

Dahlin (22, 6’3”, 203 lbs, signed through 2024, about to get paid)
Power (20, 6’6”, 215 lbs, signed through 2024, 10.2c so can’t be offer sheeted)
Samuelsson (22, 6’4”, 220 lbs, signed through 2030)

Adding Vejmelka might make sense, but they had no need to give up an asset for Chychrun.
Chychrun plays the right side as well

Elite group of defensemen but the Playoffs are going to be a rough ride for years. Happens with every young team. Adding a veteran wouldn't have been the worst option.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I wonder if part of the mathematics were that VAN/PIT agreed in principle on value—but that either Vancouver or Pittsburgh were looking for a third-team to trade a 1st round pick for a center... which not many teams are looking to give up at the trade deadline.
I don't understand why Canucks (likely mostly FA) don't understand that replacing Miller this year is meaningless, and picks/prospects can be traded in the off season to get that centre when more are available...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Interesting, as Montreal is thrilled with Matheson, at this point, and the consensus is Pettersson wouldn't have been as good a fit.

I would love to hear how you possibly could know what the "consensus" was, either among Canadiens fans or among Canadiens management, not sure which one you mean.

How do you know what the consensus is?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Buffalo’s left side for the next decade will be the best in the NHL:

Dahlin (22, 6’3”, 203 lbs, signed through 2024, about to get paid)
Power (20, 6’6”, 215 lbs, signed through 2024, 10.2c so can’t be offer sheeted)
Samuelsson (22, 6’4”, 220 lbs, signed through 2030)

Adding Vejmelka might make sense, but they had no need to give up an asset for Chychrun.

Ever-so-minor nitpick: Dahlin plays the right side nowadays. He's actually better there than on the left.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Word was the Wings wanted Horvat.
Eventually, they got together with Vancouver on the Hronek deal.

Makes me wonder if the Wings offered Hronek for Horvat.
Or if maybe there was potential 3-way deal with NYI considered.

How do you know what the consensus is?

It's called vocabulary - and you can improve it by referencing a dictionary

:naughty:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Hextall has a vision?

Man his vision must be really bad, Matheson has been amazing this year, much better than Petry and 3 times the skater. Really happy about that move, hope the penguins fans like Petry
Keep in mind, Matheson is LD, Petry RD, and RD are rarer. Habs are now short RD and have a surplus of LD, which will force them into more moves, not necessarily on their terms.

Don't start gloating. It's not a good look.

Ever-so-minor nitpick: Dahlin plays the right side nowadays. He's actually better there than on the left.
Most top-end D end up playing at least a bit on their opposite sides...

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Guess it’s all in here. Haven’t listened yet:

You know this ticks me off if this really what happened. If so, it is a very broken process and is somewhat gerrymandering via trade proxy. Politics and favorites

Also pay attention play off time, zebras seem to call less penalties on the home team. That is pretty well known through the NHL player community.

Reactions: DaveG

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

It's called vocabulary - and you can improve it by referencing a dictionary

:naughty:

As a Canuck fan I would have taken a 1 for 1 trade of Horvat for Hronek

Reactions: MBH

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
You know this ticks me off if this really what happened. If so, it is a very broken process and is somewhat gerrymandering via trade proxy. Politics and favorites

Also pay attention play off time, zebras seem to call less penalties on the home team. That is pretty well known through the NHL player community.
I am not disagreeing but is there anything other than conjecture that supports this?

Reactions: CapsFrontOffice

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

I remember reading somewhere that the Wings were a team that wanted to open up contract negotiations with Horvat prior to making the trade, which the Canucks refused to do. Canucks ended up getting their guy anyway.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Hextall has a vision?

Man his vision must be really bad, Matheson has been amazing this year, much better than Petry and 3 times the skater. Really happy about that move, hope the penguins fans like Petry
His vision amounts to wanting heavier players. It has worked terribly. And not because Petry has been bad, he’s been quite solid- but the mix is messed up.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Call me crazy but if I am Buffalo I am paying whatever futures necessary for Chychrun + Vejmelka and filling massive holes in the lineup. I'm actually glad they passed. They would have been scary.

Kulich was #28

in a redraft he’d go mid teens. He’s a strong candidate for ROY…especially given this is his 18 yr old season…not 20+ like many others.

Chychrun doesn’t fit what Buffalo needs. He wouldn’t get PP time. Dshlin and Power get it.

the other issue is it’s a waste of resources. If the team was further along they wound have done this. They might not be peak contender for the cup until 25/26.

resigning chychrun is a serious concern come 2025 summer. By my projections, assuming no big trades other than filling short term buffalo probsbly has 2F and 2D roster spots with about $14M
in 2026 they expect to resign Tuch and some RFAs
in 27 Skinner comes off, and they use his $9M in space to spread out among the younger players. Given the Bally problems, the cap isn’t going to go up as much as earlier projections had.

with those 4 roster spots. 2 look to be a low cost vet at F in bottom 6 and a bottom pair D making around $2.5M. Those players could be Girgensons resigned after this year and Lyubushkin signed 1-2 yrs after current contract ends in 24. that leaves about $9M to resign Chychrun and say Greenway type ( who also is a UFA in 25). Can they resign both under $9M. I highly doubt that.

buffalo is more interested in a player who plays right side, can do mid pair minutes, has good D responsibility, and is under contract/ team conyptrol for 3-4 yrs.

then the idea is some of buffalo prospect at D they drafted in 21-23 drafts and Ryan Johnson would be ready to take over at a lower cost in 25-26 possibly or certainly in 26/27.

In 32 thoughts EF talked about a team asking San Jose about Ferraro. Buffalo could have been that team because he fits age/ term requirements and has a lower cap hit Of $3.25M.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I remember reading somewhere that the Wings were a team that wanted to open up contract negotiations with Horvat prior to making the trade, which the Canucks refused to do. Canucks ended up getting their guy anyway.

I think in scenerio playing that looked at trade and sign Horvat, then trade Larkin. Part of the deal they talked was probably Hronik+ decent prospect. Thrn for Larkin they’d recoup what was given up.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Saying “Kulich was drafted 28…who cares about losing him” is an unreal take that involves not following his AHL season at 18 at all. The story there is the dozen plus teams that screwed up at the draft…not the value Buffalo got from his falling.

And no…if one team is being offered Chychrun for nothing and the other is being told it takes an A prospect plus…they should not, in fact, make that trade.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Saying “Kulich was drafted 28…who cares about losing him” is an unreal take that involves not following his AHL season at 18 at all. The story there is the dozen plus teams that screwed up at the draft…not the value Buffalo got from his falling.

And no…if one team is being offered Chychrun for nothing and the other is being told it takes an A prospect plus…they should not, in fact, make that trade.
Nobody said that. I was responding to someone only referring to Savoie when Kulich was also mentioned.

18 year olds can't play in the NHL for many different reasons. Kulich was an extremely rare scenario where it made sense for him and the team to transfer over from the Czech league at 18.

CHL players can't do that. NCAA players don't do that because it eliminates their NCAA eligibility. Most European players prefer to stay with the clubs that developed them for a couple extra years. And most NHL clubs prefer to have their 20-23 year old prospects marinating in the AHL.

All of that is nothing against Kulich. I saw the Draft video where they tried to trade for him for 10+ picks. I get the reasons to be high on him. But without looking at the data myself I would guess that the list of all-time top-10 19 or 20 year old AHL scorers is just as good or better than the 18 year old list because the field multiplies each year.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Seravalli on the Miller.

PS id trust Sravalli the most when it comes to Canucks, and Dregger the least.

Seravalli on Miller: Canucks were ready, willing and eager to move him at this deadline...I think ultimately the reason this deal didn't get done was on Pittsburgh's end. (Canucks Central)

So basically Hextall chose Granlund, Bonino, Kulikov over JT Miller

Starting to think that Miller to Pens will happen this summer though

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The rumour is that the Carolina Hurricanes were the mystery team that phoned the Canucks on the morning of the TDL regarding JT Miller.
Don't confuse a Vancouver dream with a rumor. :sarcasm:

2 things about this.
1) The Canes seemingly call on everyone. The insiders seem to love to include Carolina as a potential on just about everyone available. I think they are "tire kickers" on a lot of players in general, but not serious about all of them.
2) JT Miller is the antithesis of what Carolina does contract wise. I'll never say never, but if they were going to break that habit of not giving high dollar, long term deals to guys in the 28+ range, I'd be very surprised if Miller was the guy they'd break that habit for.

Reactions: Blueston and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad