Friedman: Rumor has it Bobrovsky has provided a trade list

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Is Columbus blowing it up or does he just really want out?

Neither actually.

It’s been rumored bob wants to be the highest paid goalie in the league and wants a long contract.

Columbus is not in a position to pay him 10 million a year.

His contract expires at seasons end and has a quality backup who is currently 3-0 and played well last year. Add on a very strong prospect in Merlinkis and it’s the perfect storm of “move him before he leaves”

Reactions: thebus88

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
why was this removed

Bob + Panarin

for

Quick + Martinez + Pearson

how is this trolling? lol

its not, Id say its actually a fair deal too its alot better than columbus fans trying to push him to teams like the Islanders and St Louis who have repeatedly said they're not a fit

each team has their own way of building a team. just because a team has prospects you like or therequired cap space, doesnt mean those teams want the players you can no longer afford

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Who is the last goalie that got a 1st? Was it miller to St. Louis? I don’t remember.....but I also don’t remember goalies being traded for much beside Schneider.

San Jose paid a first + prospect for Martin Jones
Leafs paid a first (30th overall - Pens) + 2nd for Andersen
Calgary paid early 2nd (35th overall) for Elliot
I think all those were 2016?

Colorado paid a first + for Varlamov back in the day.

I'm sure there have been others in between. You would think there would be a website that tracks trade by position or at least has a list of all goalie trades, but I couldn't find one.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
San Jose paid a first + prospect for Martin Jones
Leafs paid a first (30th overall - Pens) + 2nd for Andersen
Calgary paid early 2nd (35th overall) for Elliot
I think all those were 2016?

Colorado paid a first + for Varlamov back in the day.

I'm sure there have been others in between. You would think there would be a website that tracks trade by position or at least has a list of all goalie trades, but I couldn't find one.

all true but the Isles paid a 4th for halak
the kings traded a 4th for Bishop

and most importantly they were both pending unrestricted free agents like Bobrovsky. all the players you named had term on their deals

so its not exactly relevant especially when The Bob is asking 9-10M for 6-8 years.... you cant name another example of a goalie asking that and being traded. its never happened so whether you like it or not Bishop and Halak are your closest comparables

its the contract and tern that make this unique. you cant just pretend they dont exist

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
This screams Florida.

Growing Russian contingent, and continued goalie troubles. Tallon's probably in a little hot water too, can't imagine his rope is particularly long. I feel like Florida also has some movable pieces to make it happen.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He seems to be too picky...

It makes me hard for me to know where'd be the best fit for both parties despite the fact I don't know which teams are on his no-trade list.

I'd say Buffalo and Carolina, but I would imagine those teams aren't on his list.

The only place I see him getting $10 Million is somewhere in the KHL.

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Neither actually.

It’s been rumored bob wants to be the highest paid goalie in the league and wants a long contract.

Columbus is not in a position to pay him 10 million a year.

His contract expires at seasons end and has a quality backup who is currently 3-0 and played well last year. Add on a very strong prospect in Merlinkis and it’s the perfect storm of “move him before he leaves”

Who is in a position to pay him 10?

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

and most importantly they were both pending unrestricted free agents like Bobrovsky. all the players you named had term on their deals

so its not exactly relevant especially when The Bob is asking 9-10M for 6-8 years

Halak and Bishop were both backups.

You're also totally misremembering the Bishop trade. He was actually originally traded with a 5th rounder for Budaj (who was incredibly hot), Cernak (a 2015 2nd rounder who looks like a great find for Tampa and almost broke camp), and two 7ths.

The 4th round pick came in May, when he would become a Unrestricted Free Agent in July and had no intention of signing on a team that had Jonathan Quick.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

so its not exactly relevant especially when The Bob is asking 9-10M for 6-8 years.... you cant name another example of a goalie asking that and being traded. its never happened

its the contract and tern that make this unique. you cant just pretend they dont exist

All he asked was who was the last goalie that got a first, so I answered with some recent examples, not taking contract status or anything into account.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Halak and Bishop were both backups.

You're also totally misremembering the Bishop trade. He was actually originally traded with a 5th rounder for Budaj (who was incredibly hot), Cernak (a 2015 2nd rounder who looks like a great find for Tampa and almost broke camp), and two 7ths.

The 4th round pick came in May, when he would become a Unrestricted Free Agent in July and had no intention of signing on a team that had Jonathan Quick.
bull, bishop and halak were both rentals, as is the bob, twist the facts all you like, he's still a rental

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
All he asked was who was the last goalie that got a first, so I answered with some recent examples, not taking contract status or anything into account.
ok point taken.

but they bear no resemblance to this situation because of the contract factors

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
bull, bishop and halak were both rentals, as is the bob, twist the facts all you like, he's still a rental

There are no fact twists.

Bishop and Halak were not starters at the time of their deals. Starter price vs. backup price is a much different price range. I don't know how you can argue that.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
ok point taken.

but they bear no resemblance to this situation because of the contract factors

Obviously each situation is different but it's good to be able to kind of see what various types of goalies have gotten in the past. I believe Elliot had 1 year left on his deal until UFA and he got 35th. Bob currently has 90% of his deal until UFA. The main factor will be the NMC and how many teams he limits trades to. His value could be worse than an early 2nd as far as interested teams are concerned, but it would have to be a worthwhile offer in order for Columbus to trade him at this point in the season.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
There are no fact twists.

Bishop and Halak were not starters at the time of their deals. I don't know how you can argue that.
they still were starters after the rental season with the Islanders and Stars, they were only backups because their teams couldnt trade them otherwise

which its looking likely with columbus

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Obviously each situation is different but it's good to be able to kind of see what various types of goalies have gotten in the past. I believe Elliot had 1 year left on his deal until UFA and he got 35th. Bob currently has 90% of his deal until UFA. The main factor will be the NMC and how many teams he limits trades to. His value could be worse than an early 2nd as far as interested teams are concerned, but it would have to be a worthwhile offer in order for Columbus to trade him at this point in the season.
perfectly fine take.
but i think the blue Jackets have to accept they might not find a taker unless there is an injury. I really dont see an obvious fit otherwise

being a playoff team only exacerbates the situation, but remember theres only one team with a 10M goalie. most teams want no part of that

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
So, useless, not useful, not useful, and future.

Y'all do realize that players are not fungible assets, right? There's no universal "two top line left wingers equal a top-pairing RHD" chart out there because it's not possible.
The Blues are tight against the cap. If there's a deal to be done there, Allen almost certainly has to be involved, plus someone else like Gunnarsson just to make the dollars work (unless Columbus retains ~$3 million to leave him out). That's just to make a deal possible at all, not for "value." If that doesn't work for Columbus, then the Blues simply aren't a viable partner.

I can't see the Blues being interested in signing him to the deal he's rumored to be wanting, so if they have any interest at all, it's probably in getting him as a pure rental. They aren't going to be offering the sort of value that some other fans have mentioned in this thread. If that doesn't put the Blues at the top of Columbus' list, I completely understand.

This reminds me of the Shattenkirk situation, but even less favorable for Columbus than it was for St. Louis since Bobrovsky isn't playing well, has a huge salary, has a full NMC, and teams won't be as eager to sign him to his next contract. It was a pretty frustrating experience as a St. Louis fan, so I have some empathy for Columbus fans right now.

Reactions: Dbrownss

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I don't think any team is gonna pony up 10+ mill for a goalie....not for a while anyway.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And other teams shouldn’t help others unload talent they will lose at the end of the season for nothing.
Given that the package being offered amounts to nothing useful for the Jackets, you are therefore basically suggesting that we should trade him for nothing useful early instead of losing him for nothing useful later.

* * *​
its not, Id say its actually a fair deal too its alot better than columbus fans trying to push him to teams like the Islanders and St Louis who have repeatedly said they're not a fit
Hold it. Hold it right there. We haven't tried "pushing him" ANYWHERE. Not getting responses you want to hear does not constitute a sales pitch.

* * *​
The Blues are tight against the cap. If there's a deal to be done there, Allen almost certainly has to be involved, plus someone else like Gunnarsson just to make the dollars work (unless Columbus retains ~$3 million to leave him out). That's just to make a deal possible at all, not for "value." If that doesn't work for Columbus, then the Blues simply aren't a viable partner.
I can understand the salary situation, but if we're not getting something we can actually use and get value from, then there's no point in trading him. That package does not constitute anything we can actually get value from - except maybe the pick that we might get something from years from now.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Given that the package being offered amounts to nothing useful for the Jackets, you are therefore basically suggesting that we should trade him for nothing useful early instead of losing him for nothing useful later.

* * *​

Hold it. Hold it right there. We haven't tried "pushing him" ANYWHERE. Not getting responses you want to hear does not constitute a sales pitch.

* * *​

I can understand the salary situation, but if we're not getting something we can actually use and get value from, then there's no point in trading him. That package does not constitute anything we can actually get value from - except maybe the pick that we might get something from years from now.

thats not true viqsi

ive seen several Blue Jacket fans saying I see the Islanders as a good match when the day it was speculated the Islanders immediately responded that it was a false rumor and that they hoped to have Ilya Sorokin under contract in the near future. several Isles fans have mentioned that but in every thread blue jacket fans keep Proposing deals sending The Bob to the Islanders. that most definitely is pushing him.

just because we have cap space and quality prospects you may like doesnt mean there is any interest in a deal. especally when their are reports indicating there is none

thats why I said its better to wait until you have actual offers from actual GMs because they at least can do something about it...

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017

* * *​

* * *​

So what then would be your request from the blues? Please say Thomas or kyrou so I can have a good laugh. Bob isn’t worth either of them as a rental. Sign him to a 4-5 year deal worth under 7 and then one of them could be included in a package for him.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I could totally see the Blues pouncing on this. NYI is a strong contender as well however I feel like there more urgency in St Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad