Friedman: Rumor has it Bobrovsky has provided a trade list

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
That's funny, the Isles have Ilya Sorokin, one of the best goalies in the world not in the NHL, Linus Soderstrom, one of Europe's best and Jakob Skarek all in the mix. We deliberately only gave Lehner one year because we have them. I doubt we have interest in giving "The Bob" 9M long term. Especially since he's gonna be 30, as a rebuilding team the core is much much younger.

I'm pretty sure the plan is Sorokin when he's eligible for a 1 year ELC
Sorokin will never come over if they sign another starter for long term & big dollars. He will only come if he has a shot at the starter position. Most Isles future potential stars are quite young so getting an older goalie may not be the best fit for the team. They need to actually seek out an younger goalie with many capable years left.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Isles coaches have worked pretty hard with Lehner and the front office has to be pleased with his strong play.

Between the isles wish to get Sorokin over as early next season and Lehner's impressive play , I do not see the isles interested in giving Bob a massive 7/8 year contract.

I've seen a number of mentions of Sorokin in this thread. If we've learned anything as of late it's don't count your chickens before they hatch. Sorokin's looked great in the KHL, but is that necessarily indicative of great play at the NHL level?

Recent successful KHL goalies in NA.

Koskinen's looking like an OK backup.
Francouz, Last year's KHL goalie of the year has been okay, average at the AHL level with like a 2.68 GAA (to put that in perspective early on Hutchinson was sporting a 1.85)
and a comparable prospect, Ilya Samsonov has looked very bad and has adjusted poorly, with a 1-3 record and a 3.70/.860 statline.

Goalies, especially Euro goalies are hard to project, and it's hard to convert them into proven NHL starters.

Who cares if the Isles have Sorokin, Skarek, Soderstrom, they're great prospects no doubt, but they're also only lottery tickets. Nothings proven yet, even in a mens league like the KHL, which and I've getting way sidetracked but I've spoke on great lengths how the KHL's skill level continues to diminsh, and took a hard hit last year. Just look at some of the recent exports.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sorokin will never come over if they sign another starter for long term & big dollars. He will only come if he has a shot at the starter position. Most Isles future potential stars are quite young so getting an older goalie may not be the best fit for the team. They need to actually seek out an younger goalie with many capable years left.

Also Sorkin's numbers are soft

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
  • November 2nd 2018 - Bobrovsky (30% retained) traded to the Calgary Flames for Smith, 2018 1st round pick and 2018 3rd round pick.
  • July 1st 2019 - Bobrovsky signs a 6 year $45M contract with the Calgary Flames.
  • October 10th - Bobrovsky out for 7 months with random freak injury.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
  • November 2nd 2018 - Bobrovsky (30% retained) traded to the Calgary Flames for Smith, 2018 1st round pick and 2018 3rd round pick.
  • July 1st 2019 - Bobrovsky signs a 6 year $45M contract with the Calgary Flames.

26068n7.jpg

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I've seen a number of mentions of Sorokin in this thread. If we've learned anything as of late it's don't count your chickens before they hatch. Sorokin's looked great in the KHL, but is that necessarily indicative of great play at the NHL level?

Recent successful KHL goalies in NA.

Koskinen's looking like an OK backup.
Francouz, Last year's KHL goalie of the year has been okay, average at the AHL level with like a 2.68 GAA (to put that in perspective early on Hutchinson was sporting a 1.85)
and a comparable prospect, Ilya Samsonov has looked very bad and has adjusted poorly, with a 1-3 record and a 3.70/.860 statline.

Goalies, especially Euro goalies are hard to project, and it's hard to convert them into proven NHL starters.

Who cares if the Isles have Sorokin, Skarek, Soderstrom, they're great prospects no doubt, but they're also only lottery tickets. Nothings proven yet, even in a mens league like the KHL, which and I've getting way sidetracked but I've spoke on great lengths how the KHL's skill level continues to diminsh, and took a hard hit last year. Just look at some of the recent exports.

With that don't count your chicken fearful approach, the isles ought to move bluechippers Dobson and Walhstrom asap cause you know they have never produced in the nhl :laugh:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
With that don't count your chicken fearful approach, the isles ought to move bluechippers Dobson and Walhstrom asap cause you know they have never produced in the nhl :laugh:
It's like you didn't even read what the poster said.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
This is an obvious joke, Considering there's no way Bob is signing for less then $8 million per. Bob at the very least will probably sign for 7 x 9.5M.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Calgary does not have 1st round picks to trade, if they trade they will protected. And I think the Blue Jackets can get a better offer than that. Calgary's cap situation has to be taken into consideration and there is no way Bobrovsky signs for that.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Friedman on Blue Jackets’ ‘frustration with Bobrovsky’

“Panarin they can trade. Bobrovsky has a complete no-move clause. I believe that he has given them an idea of where he will consider to go, and I think Columbus has explored that. I mean, everything we’re looking at is the Islanders. I don’t know if it’s going to end up being that way, but if we were wagering right now they would be the team.

Looks like Bob may prefer the Isles

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It's like you didn't even read what the poster said.
He said prospects are lottery tickets and do not count our chickens.

That could be said about ANY prospect who has not reached the nhl.

Not making trades out of fear.
And zero interest in giving 30 yr old Bob a Price like contract.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

No. He/she specifically mentioned goalies.

Reactions: greasysnapper

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

I specifically said goalies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No. He/she specifically mentioned goalies.
Isles have Korn and Greco who are doing a good job with Lehner and Griess.

I am very confident turning young Sorokin over to them. Sorokin gave a very positive quote when Korn was hired. Imo another reason he now sounds more favorable about joining the isles.

Reactions: scott99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad