Rugby World Cup 2023

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
One day grandkids will be told about France vs South Africa 2023 QF...

My godness, this game had it all. From minute one I was on the edge of the seat, tries, blocked kick, yellow card, drama... WOW!

France carried the flow but ultimately the Springboks bench, which means get be among the three best in the world, won it. When Ox Nche and then Kock with Fourie entered the game, the french scrum without Atonio and Mauvaca(terrific game he had) had no answer. Also, Pollard CAN kick penalties from anywhere unlike Libbok, Faf as "backup" sounds even ridiculous and Kwagga stole balls left and right.

I'm still ecstatic, what a f***ing game!

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
The ginger for SA with the bloody ear is having a rough one.
Yeah, Kitshoff, who's well considered among the very best props in the world, didn't have a good game. But France's first line today was otherworldly, they scored three tries AND didn't give any advantage to our scrum in the first half. But their subs weren't as good, Boks depth is crazy.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Somewhat embarrassing for the Northern Hemisphere that neither France nor Ireland managed to beat their SH opponents. England struggling to get past Fiji as well and Wales losing to Argentina is the cherry on top of that.

European rugby has been well and truly owned once again.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Somewhat embarrassing for the Northern Hemisphere that neither France nor Ireland managed to beat their SH opponents. England struggling to get past Fiji as well and Wales losing to Argentina is the cherry on top of that.

European rugby has been well and truly owned once again.
No, that's the result of an idiotic draw held ages before the WC. A and B pools were crazy while C and D were so so. How can you end up with the four best squads in the world playing the QFs against each other? The other side instead had all the struggling teams of this year: Wales, England and don't get me started with the Wallabies... f***ed up.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No, that's the result of an idiotic draw held ages before the WC. A and B pools were crazy while C and D were so so. How can you end up with the four best squads in the world playing the QFs against each other? The other side instead had all the struggling teams of this year: Wales, England and don't get me started with the Wallabies... f***ed up.
Yeah the draw isn't great, but also doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. The QF featured four Europe vs Southern Hemisphere duels. The SH won 3 out of 4 and got pretty close to a clean sweep...with all the matches being essentially home games for the European teams in stadiums filled with their fans primarily.

For the tournament it would obviously have been better if France/South Africa and Ireland/NZ were semifinals rather than quarterfinals, but if the results went the same way it'd still be bad news for European rugby. The path to the World Cup goes through the top Southern Hemisphere sides one way or another.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah the draw isn't great, but also doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. The QF featured four Europe vs Southern Hemisphere duels. The SH won 3 out of 4 and got pretty close to a clean sweep...with all the matches being essentially home games for the European teams in stadiums filled with their fans primarily.

For the tournament it would obviously have been better if France/South Africa and Ireland/NZ were semifinals rather than quarterfinals, but if the results went the same way it'd still be bad news for European rugby. The path to the World Cup goes through the top Southern Hemisphere sides one way or another.

I wouldn't be to hard on European rugby, the Southern hemisphere teams got through by the skin of there teeth and whilst being close to home helps most of the time I'm not sure how useful it is in world cups

The weight of expectations can cripple teams, the amount of pressure the French were under was relentless and when teams are this close 1% can be the difference between winning and losing

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
All Black's through to the final

A bit of a letdown after the quarters but the final should be good no matter who they play

I'm leaning South Africa

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

It was pretty much a flip of the coin for each quarter final. All good close games. Could have gone either way in each game tbh. I don't see the quarters as some evidence that the Southern Hemisphere is far superior. In fact it shows the parity near the top.

Last edited:

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Lost ten years of my life...
Rassie's plan didn't work out all, England dominated the high balls and they were also brilliant at counter rucking and twarting any Bokke's initiative. That until, as usual, bench made the difference: Fourie escaped the newly entered Vunipola on that maul and set up beautifully was Snyman's try. My MOTM is Ox Nche, second time in a row he broke the game for us, dominating Synckler/Genge, altough the deciding scrum was won by Kock on Genge I think.
When it comes to kicking Pollard is eons better than Libbok and it showed. Our entire backline didn't do squat, Willemse being bad and subbed for the ever washed up Le Roux (this is scary going into the final...).

We're undeservedly in the final, have to say it. England was the better team for at least 68 minutes or so. If we play like this in the final, the ABs will win with a minimum margin of 30 points.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

World Rugby has confirmed it will formally review the alleged use of a racial slur by South Africa hooker Bongi Mbonambi towards England's Tom Curry.

If banned, Mbonambi could miss the final against New Zealand on Saturday.

(supposedly called him a white c***)

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

World Rugby has confirmed it will formally review the alleged use of a racial slur by South Africa hooker Bongi Mbonambi towards England's Tom Curry.

If banned, Mbonambi could miss the final against New Zealand on Saturday.

(supposedly called him a white c***)

I'm hoping it is just a case of Mbonambi speaking Afrikaans. Tom Curry is not the type of person to make something up. Hopefully just a misinterpretation.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
One of the things WR has to look at after this tournament is the latitude of interpretation of the rules at scrum time. Namely the mysteries of the front row.

I read an article by Alex Corbisiero the former England prop on the penalty conceded by Sinckler and it was two pages long. Slipping the bind, shoving early, deliberately overextending, boring in etc,etc. O'Keefe and Gardner were all over the shop and then there is the variation in how the NH and SH referee as well.

It's not just confined to the scrum. Argentina can count themselves to be treated very harshly by Gardner with Gonsalez's look of bemusement mirrored by many watching when the penalty went the other way for a perfect jackal to all intent's and purposes and awarding the ABs a scrum penalty when Lomax collapsed the scrum but Bello I think gets called for hinging.

It wouldn't have changed the scoreline as the Pumas have been very, very poor (their preparation against a Spain B only seems to have been a grave error )considering how they can play but it doesn't help when referees seem to be influenced by the side playing or a series of dominant scrums ie SA means they are infallible at scrum time at not conceding penalties.

Not to mention the unconscious bias that T2s experience. They have been shafted several times. Also other things to look at. Forward passes not being noted, squint lineout feeds, still no hooking contest at the scrum either.

I also expect WR is hoping this final will take away from the furore their World League plans have caused. Well actually it's the 6N and SANZAAR who came up with this nonsense no doubt in part to the investment bankers who have their claws in several unions now.

So as to be expected short term gain to the fore without an iota of thought to the global development of the sport. It doesn't help that WR is so undemocratic that the old unions control the votes. Unions like Fiji don't even have one nor many T2s on decisions that will directly affect their future.

It makes a mockery of World in Union, Billy Bunter speaking about his desire to grow the game worldwide and the way WR have milked Portugal's rugby for media attention before casting them into oblivion again.

How Billy Bunter and Farmer Jeffrey from an amateur era are in any way qualified to run the sport beats me. Anyway this WL nonsense means that for many years to come there's more chance of me winning a raffle than a T2 playing a T1.

Then at the next WC people will moan about the scorelines. T2s are doing their level best to improve but ultimately they can only gauge progress by taking on T1s regularly. Georgia are in a terrible position now with their wonderful u20s and still denied entry to the 6N for who knows how long. Portugal played Ireland before the WC to see the speed of how a T1 plays and it helped as an example. The viewing figures in Europe have been excellent but the dinosaurs at WR will fail to capitalize on it.

The same old T1s playing each other will get boring quick and increase the gap to the other teams which is what I suspect the plan is all along. Protectionism when ultimately a truly global game is what will power the sport financially as with football. Scotland and Jeffrey no doubt most delighted of all because let's face it Scotland u20s are really bad.

The sole nation from T1 and who I follow as a result to oppose this nonsense was Argentina (France were close until an agreement on the calendar was made such that it does not impinge on the T14). It's a crying shame Agustin Pichot the voluble and erudite former Puma SH was not elected President of WR several years ago. Unlike the conniving Bunter he stayed true to his ideals and thus lost the vote.

His world calendar plan involved more games between T1s and T2s and more continental competitions. This WL is an abomination spawned from those lofty ideals. This article which is an interview with Agustin illustrates all the problems with union and how the issues we have now will be discussed in 2027 and 2031 and God knows how long because of the fossils and spivs in charge. Please read it.

WR really is an Anglocolonial body as described by Pablo Lemoine. It's interesting that UAR is the sole union among T1 in the black. The sole union that is developing the sport in it's neighbours and providing a large amount of coaching expertise.

Today is a dark day for the development of the sport.

WTF?!? This tournament started 8 September 2023?

And finals will be played 28 October?

That is almost 2 months! Again, WFT!

Rugby union is physically and mentally exhausting alko. Leagues and Test series are played with a one week break for a reason. Otherwise the quality of the game suffers and their is a large increase in injuries. It's probably one of the two toughest sports in the world. Not for the faint hearted.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I thought New Zealand were the better team in the final.

Again, South Africa win by a point!

The Cane card could have gone either way. Pre-tournament that normally is a red. But throughout the tournament they seemed to have been a bit more lenient and looked for any mitigation. I thought yellow was fair, but can also understand red. Feel sorry for Cane. He already gets enough stick from kiwi fans.

This game also confirmed New Zealand are still top tier. I read a few comments (not on here) that New Zealand were a slight tier below France, Ireland, and South Africa. This should nip that in the bud!

Kind of weird that New Zealand lost the opening game and the final game.

And England ended up winning more games that New Zealand. Yeah, I know England didn't face the greatest competition, but still.

Fair play to South Africa. They beat France, England, New Zealand, and Scotland. So their run this tournament was harder than their 2019 win. And one point games show how close it was.

South Africa have now won 50% of the World Cups they have competed in. Also the first team to win 4 titles. And second team to win back to back titles.

France are a youngish team, and I fancy them to win the next one. Of course a lot can potentially change in 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad