Rugby World Cup 2023

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm behind the matches, so I am currently watching Wales and Fiji right now and all I want to say is that Fiji is effin' ripped. Each one looks like a Spartan.

Reactions: Summer Rose

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
OMFG that Fiji and Wales game is one of the top 3 matches ever in my history. I am a Welsh fan, but Fiji made me a fan of them. They honestly should've scored that try in the extra time, they had all the room and the ball on their best player. Fiji lost that more than Wales won it considering what happened.

Again though, I cannot say how unbelievable that match was.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
OMFG that Fiji and Wales game is one of the top 3 matches ever in my history. I am a Welsh fan, but Fiji made me a fan of them. They honestly should've scored that try in the extra time, they had all the room and the ball on their best player. Fiji lost that more than Wales won it considering what happened.

Again though, I cannot say how unbelievable that match was.

Do you remember Japan vs. South Africa? That's one of mine.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Do you remember Japan vs. South Africa? That's one of mine.
I gotta admit that this is my first true World Cup from the very start. Last World Cup I came in during the quarter-finals or semi-finals and I missed that upset. I tend to watch a ton of Six Nations Cup and that's how I feel in love with Wales due to Halfpenny, North, and Biggar since Poland doesn't have a good team.

There have been some legendary matches in the Six Nations as well.

Last edited:

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Didn't get to see these matches in their entirety as I was at Duxford for the Battle of Britain commemoration.

Portugal are developing nicely. In a decade or so perhaps I would not mind an expanded 7N. I know the old farts continue to drag their heels but expanding the 6N and Rugby Championship is a great way for sides to get more Tests versus Tier1 . Fiji and Georgia should be immediate candidates.

Chile suffered as expected as they are still mainly semipros. You cannot simply make the gap to full professionalism and the pace games are played at by playing this level SLAR. But as with Uruguay they are setting up 2 high performance centres and are hopeful of another franchise in SLAR to expand the pool of semiprofessionals. Hopefully a few of their team are taken on professional contracts in France.

Glad McFarland turned out for Samoa. There are many Kiwi fans who are disappointed they did not nab him. Samoa unlike Tonga have quality at fly half which makes an enormous difference in kicking and controlling territory and point scoring.

I was a bit disappointed by Tonga but Ireland underlined their potential ironically with a Samoan leading the charge.

Hope Botitu who has been called up by Fiji can replace Muntz. He'a a natural centre who excels in the Top 14 for Castres. Which means with his size, speed and power will he be running that channel against an opponent who is quite weak at ten ?

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
To the surprise of no one Namibia got an absolute hammering.

I saw the Kiwi fans celebrating like mad in the stands. But in the end does it feel a bit hollow ? We all knew the result beforehand. Which makes it imperative that WR and the old unions make sure that the playing field becomes more level. A little uncertainty is essential to all sports to keep those watching interested.

The resources the ABs can call on and those that Namibia can are like comparing a molehill to a mountain. Until these differences are equalized this is how it will remain.

It's not helped by the dinosaur attitudes of those in WR, those in the old union committees, 6N and to a lesser extent the Rugby Championship. And quite a few supporters who would prefer to see the same old yearly schedules and Lion's nonsense along with the Barbarians. Old anachronisms that need jettisoning.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
As expected SA rolled over Romania. At one point it looked like a century in the offing. I know many supporters and especially casual ones are saying what is the point of this ? That the RWC needs to contract. Even some ignoramuses saying Italy should be removed from the 6N despite their improving performances especially at u20 level when you have players like Odiase, Turrisi, Ney and Sante to mention a few who will be in this side although Ney and Sante have great competition at SH and FB which is of course what you want.

They are missing the point entirely. The question that needs to be raised what can be done to help these unions. Some better self administration for certain and a programme to raise player numbers and clubs to what they were. I mean it's not rocket science. The bigger the junior player base the greater the likelihood of a better side in the future. But you also need to focus on what's going on with coaching and also making the current clubs stable while also getting new clubs to grow up.

That's for the domestic union, But they also need external help namely coaches, fitness, analysts and sometimes administration. And not just for the WC but for a whole cycle. And those that don't need the internal help they need to be included in higher level competition when it is merited and more players given a chance in professional competition.

So we need more intermediate competitions for those on the developing T2 path and more Tests while those that have reached the end of that development like Fiji and Georgia need T1 acceptance. Romania need as with Canada all sorts of help. I think it's a great shame that two teams who used to be really strong have been allowed to reach this state. Mostly down to maladministration and also lack of money in Romania's case which is where WR could also help but lack of reaching out when they were strong.

Superb result for union, Fiji and the PIs. Think with a better lineout they would have completely dominated that game. Brace handed Australia a fortunate try but other than that barely troubled Fiji. They can play a very controlled game now allied to their traditional flair. Hopefully Tuisova and Botia are fine as is Wainiqolo. And but for the idiot referee last week Carley they would be topping the group.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Really exciting match between Georgia and Portugal this morning. Two kicks, one at the death, both bottled though. Portugal probably deserved to win, but there's no "deserve" in international sport. A draw is probably a fair result given the circumstances.

Reactions: S E P H

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

The arcane nature of rugby refereeing has always been the sport's biggest weakness. They've tried to increase transparency, but there's few other sports where an occasional to semi-frequent viewer would be more confused by what exactly causes penalties.

And of course, I should add, penalties are such a huge factor in any scoring in games that it's really detrimental to the enjoyment of the sport. Especially Northern Hemisphere teams almost always kick for goal when given even a remote opportunity, so you may have games with hardly any tries.

Honestly, the sport would be assisted tremendously in attractiveness if kicking for goal on penalties was simply outlawed. Does anyone actually enjoy the kicking game?

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ireland's defence is just so damn good. Every tackle is with a purpose and rarely tackle poorly.

Great match between them and South Africa.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Ireland's defence is just so damn good. Every tackle is with a purpose and rarely tackle poorly.

Great match between them and South Africa.
And yet Ireland always fails in the QFs. It would be great for them if they could make it to the SF and maybe even beyond, but from what I can see they'll probably end up playing the ABs in the QF which doesn't bode well. They've beaten them recently and of course this might be the weakest NZ side in a long time, but still a tall order given how much pressure there will be in that game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
And yet Ireland always fails in the QFs. It would be great for them if they could make it to the SF and maybe even beyond, but from what I can see they'll probably end up playing the ABs in the QF which doesn't bode well. They've beaten them recently and of course this might be the weakest NZ side in a long time, but still a tall order given how much pressure there will be in that game.
I'm not sure they have the offensive ability even though Sexton is as good of a fly-half in the world. He's just one and rugby is probably the most team-based sport out there. I am not talking about just the World Cup, they dominated the Six Nations quite recently as well until France decided to do something with all their talent.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
The arcane nature of rugby refereeing has always been the sport's biggest weakness. They've tried to increase transparency, but there's few other sports where an occasional to semi-frequent viewer would be more confused by what exactly causes penalties.

And of course, I should add, penalties are such a huge factor in any scoring in games that it's really detrimental to the enjoyment of the sport. Especially Northern Hemisphere teams almost always kick for goal when given even a remote opportunity, so you may have games with hardly any tries.

Honestly, the sport would be assisted tremendously in attractiveness if kicking for goal on penalties was simply outlawed. Does anyone actually enjoy the kicking game?

Penalties have to be there otherwise teams would simply stifle and smother possession from the opposition by lying across rucks, bringing down mauls and lining up offside at the first pass. It was getting to a point where the game was being bogged down and sides were getting away with murder so the IRB as then clamped down.

What they could do for people who are casual fans or not watched the game or played it is to have a segment explaining the penalties and how they occur. They are pretty self explanatory.

As for kicking. It's an art form in itself. I played alongside Josh Lewsey at scrum half. He and his brother who played for Exeter when they were in the second tier were also excellent cricketers. You can aside from the flyhalf control the game and you look for space in behind, force the opposition deep or try and create scoring opportunities with grubbers and spirals.

And with it being an outdoors sport you have to take into account the weather with the wind the most important factor in affecting the hang time and distance the ball is kicked up and away. I know they are considering reducing points for a DG to two but given line speed and the effectiveness of mauls this is becoming rarer. But that too is a skill. We've already seen the lack of a good place kicker can have a real effect on games.

Having a top class kicker like Boffelli means teams are wary of infringing whereas some sides who lack a recognized kicker ie Romania with Muresan out injured throw away points.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
IRFU have done one of the best jobs in terms of junior development. From coordinating with junior clubs which are quite famous like Blackrock, UCD and the like to funnelling talent into the four provinces, facilities and then getting top class coaches all of whom have made an impact.

This Ireland side is a level above those that stumbled in the past and mentally very tough. Success at provincial level shows it. So do junior results winning the last two u20 6N and finalists in the u20 WC although France blew them away due to their size advantage in the pack.

I don't think NZ will hold any fears for Ireland. There was a psychological barrier at one point but it's been well and truly broken and under Foster the ABs are less than the sum of their parts.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Interesting weekend. Thoroughly disappointed by Tonga. I blame the coach Kefu. Really cannot coach. It's a shame they could not get a top class coach in considering the players they have. Fekitoa and Akhi barely got a look in. Evey time they went forward they made ground and yet the scoreline was abysmal.

Basics like the line out were shocking again. So was the first up tackling. These sort of things can be worked on. A couple of times in great positions and just a score behind they threw the opportunity away. And fortunate not to get a red card. I can see the mitigation but that was poor tackle technique. Scotland are fortunate they have naturalized several overseas players because their juniors are pretty poor and they know that unless the 6N remains a closed shop other European sides will overtake them.

Their u20s were beaten in Kenya at the World u20 Trophy by Uruguay with the winners being Spain promoted to the u20 Championship and Japan relegated from that top tier.

Australia will be doing a lot of soul searching. They need a complete look at junior rugby and it's development. They are losing players to AFL and soccer so they need to rethink their youth recruitment and development not to mention retention. The worst Wallaby performance I've ever seen. Given that the next WC in 2027 is in Australia they've a lot of work to do.

Portugal were impressive. Georgia far less so. Again the blame lies with the coach. He's not a good one. As I mentioned the failure to integrate youngsters who are better than the veterans is a mistake. Ninaishvili shone but talented players like Kakhoidze at inside centre are far better than the mediocre Sharikadze. Unfortunately their performances mean those idiots fighting their entry into the 6N will have more ammunition despite their u20s being better than Scotland and more than a par with Wales and Italy. Hopefully they can get in a performance to beat Wales again.

Portugal's backs as I mentioned before are impressive. Most of this side are semiprofessional and I hope a few get professional contracts. The Portuguese union is doing a great job in growing player numbers and clubs and using World Sevens to sharpen up skills. They are also looking to get central contracts for some players so they can concentrate fulltime on rugby. I think a good idea would be to bring Black Lion, the Lusitanos and a representative Spanish side into the URC.

People who deride and there are many idiots who do need to understand what such exposure can do. Many of the current Portuguese side watched the 2007 event and it inspired them to take up union.

Chile fielding just 6 starters and several players injured more than held their own for 20 minutes against England. Some of the headlines here on the BBC and on ITVs coverage were really in bad taste. England set to win WC now. And being so patronizing to Chile. This is their first World Cup and most of the side are semiprofessional. Many have had to pay for their own equipment and travel just to be here and still showed immense pride representing their country. At least more sponsors are now interested inthe Condors and there has been great interest and I am sure that will have a knock on effect in junior numbers.

Pablo Lemoine is absolutely right in his criticism of WR and it still being controlled by the Commonwealth sides and their short sighted self interested outlook. It's not really a World In Union at all and this World League is proof of that. It's a shame Pichot was not made WR head rather than Beaumont.

A great site for those interested in union in the Americas.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Penalties have to be there otherwise teams would simply stifle and smother possession from the opposition by lying across rucks, bringing down mauls and lining up offside at the first pass. It was getting to a point where the game was being bogged down and sides were getting away with murder so the IRB as then clamped down.

What they could do for people who are casual fans or not watched the game or played it is to have a segment explaining the penalties and how they occur. They are pretty self explanatory.

As for kicking. It's an art form in itself. I played alongside Josh Lewsey at scrum half. He and his brother who played for Exeter when they were in the second tier were also excellent cricketers. You can aside from the flyhalf control the game and you look for space in behind, force the opposition deep or try and create scoring opportunities with grubbers and spirals.

And with it being an outdoors sport you have to take into account the weather with the wind the most important factor in affecting the hang time and distance the ball is kicked up and away. I know they are considering reducing points for a DG to two but given line speed and the effectiveness of mauls this is becoming rarer. But that too is a skill. We've already seen the lack of a good place kicker can have a real effect on games.

Having a top class kicker like Boffelli means teams are wary of infringing whereas some sides who lack a recognized kicker ie Romania with Muresan out injured throw away points.
I did not advocate to abandon all kicking in-match, merely taking the option away to kick at goal for points as a result of a penalty. The most exciting part of rugby by far is the concerted attempt of a team to score a try. Kicks for points have a tendency to zap the energy out of the crowd because they end that push for a try. It's anticlimactic. In addition you're linking the outcome of the game directly to the accumulation of minor refereeing decisions.

I realize that this goes against long-held convictions and the tradition of the sport, so I'm not holding my breath here. But I think it's one of the main reasons rugby union has failed to capture a larger global audience even though it features a number of elements that are superior to American football for instance.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I do. But I'm English!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad