Confirmed with Link: Royal Blue Is Back In 2020-21

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Imagine if we got these instead:

tnse64la65161.jpg

Concept from here: Reverse Retro jerseys are modern takes on retro designs, but what about a retro design for a modern jersey? Reverse Modern Buffalo Sabres Concept. : hockey (reddit.com)

Black and hot pink?

LOL

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I heard today that the Reverse Retros are limited edition and when they’re gone, they’re gone, and they’re not making any more. Does anyone know if this is true? The website is basically sold out already.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Was the letter B with the sword through it (ex shoulder patch) deemed to violent a theme for the no check loving hockey crowd???

I like the B with the sword through it very much. I actually have a a pullover insulated sweatshirt and a regular pull over sweatshirt with that logo in the breast pocket area that I got back in the early 2000s that I still wear today. I remember buying those items while standing behind some guy at the register at the Sabres store who had a ton of items that totaled well over $1000. It was summer after the 04/05 lockout year and lots of stuff was on super-sale so he had a boatload of stuff. I heard him talk with a French accent and saw him pull hi personal credit card out of his pocket. He paid for the stuff and I finally saw who it was. It was J.P. Dumont. I said high and asked him what was going on with the huge purchase. He told me he was buying it for under privileged kids. I was blown away.

As for your comment on the B with the sword, the Sabres used crossed swords as their main logo for decades, give out swords for team honors, used the crossed swords (butter knives)and the very logo to which you refer during the red and black goat head and the slug years as a way to connect with their name and history. They eventually brought the crossed sabers back as their main logo.

Quite frankly I think you're trying too hard. Relax.

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I like the B with the sword through it very much. I actually have a a pullover insulated sweatshirt and a regular pull over sweatshirt with that logo in the breast pocket area that I got back in the early 2000s that I still wear today. I remember buying those items while standing behind some guy at the register at the Sabres store who had a ton of items that totaled well over $1000. It was summer after the 04/05 lockout year and lots of stuff was on super-sale so he had a boatload of stuff. I heard him talk with a French accent and saw him pull hi personal credit card out of his pocket. He paid for the stuff and I finally saw who it was. It was J.P. Dumont. I said high and asked him what was going on with the huge purchase. He told me he was buying it for under privileged kids. I was blown away.

As for your comment on the B with the sword, the Sabres used crossed swords as their main logo for decades, give out swords for team honors, used the crossed swords (butter knives)and the very logo to which you refer during the red and black goat head and the slug years as a way to connect with their name and history. They eventually brought the crossed sabers back as their main logo.

Quite frankly I think you're trying too hard. Relax.
Great story. Never liked the crossed swords. Love the B/sword patch. Just was wondering whether it received any consideration.

There is a growing anti-violence movement in hockey today. And I'm not talking about the dirty and late hits. So I slip a sarcastic remark in from time to time to make sure the wound stays open. Sometimes they work, often times they don't.

It remains to be seen how far the anti checking proponents will be able to take it.

Reactions: Dex

Member 308457

I suspect your comment will garner much bad will but as a follower from 1970 on, I too thought the original royal - away in those days - uni's also looked like pajamas.

I think it was the 3 sets of gold stripes on each leg that did it for me. Never thought it was the shade of blue.

Of course, Punch wanted to ef over the Leaf's uni's at the time so there ya go.

First mistake, in 1970 the Sabres had a contest amongst the fans on what to name the team. The fans came up with all sorts of ridiculous names including the Buffalo Veni Vidi Vicis. Then they hired Punch who wanted the Sabres uni to look like the Leafs, only "with class," so he put gold in there. (true story)

It would have been nice if the Sabres uniform was original and wasn't based on another team and also they came up with a better name somehow. I always liked the old Bisons uniforms. It's too bad they haven't tried to use it even once over the last 50 years, even as a one time only. It's a zinger. The uniform answer is and has been right in front of our faces the whole time if the team could work out the rights situation with Pepsi.

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
First mistake, in 1970 the Sabres had a contest amongst the fans on what to name the team. The fans came up with all sorts of ridiculous names including the Buffalo Veni Vidi Vicis. Then they hired Punch who wanted the Sabres uni to look like the Leafs, only "with class," so he put gold in there. (true story)

It would have been nice if the Sabres uniform was original and wasn't based on another team and also they came up with a better name somehow. I always liked the old Bisons uniforms. It's too bad they haven't tried to use it even once over the last 50 years, even as a one time only. It's a zinger. The uniform answer is and has been right in front of our faces the whole time if the team could work out the rights situation with Pepsi.

Lol that last sentence sounds so ridiculous, "if we could only work out the rights with Pepsi." I think our logo is one of the best. I need to see how these new ones look in action, but I expect to be pleased with them. The priors just looked too dark and bland especially on tv.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

I don't remember the naming contest. Just wasn't paying attention. As I recall, Guy Trottier was having a monster year and ridiculously speaking, a lot of fans wanted him to become property of the Sabres.

Your Punch story about the uni's is accurate.

I was a big fan of the Bison's uni's. They still look good even today. I attended a bunch of their games. The Aud was especially dirty and grimy back then. And those dark access ramps went on and on forever. Drop anything on the concrete and Mom and Dad would say .... leave it there! LOL!

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I don't remember the naming contest. Just wasn't paying attention. As I recall, Guy Trottier was having a monster year and ridiculously speaking, a lot of fans wanted him to become property of the Sabres.

Your Punch story about the uni's is accurate.

I was a big fan of the Bison's uni's. They still look good even today. I attended a bunch of their games. The Aud was especially dirty and grimy back then. And those dark access ramps went on and on forever. Drop anything on the concrete and Mom and Dad would say .... leave it there! LOL!

And the fall from the oranges would be your last.. Great place .. High energy.

Key bank can be a morgue w the limp fans barely off their trustafarian phones from the boxes diwn..

Love the logo and their direction now.

The sabres are already used to playin in a quiet building ..We may have a leg up this year .

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Key bank can be a morgue w the limp fans barely off their trustafarian phones from the boxes diwn..

The sabres are already used to playin in a quiet building ..We may have a leg up this year .
Their last regulation home win at Key Bank was 10 months ago yesterday. I was there. It seems like forever ago.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Their last regulation home win at Key Bank was 10 months ago yesterday. I was there. It seems like forever ago.
Last game i saw there was the 3 1 loss to stars in 99.. A final where nobody seemed to try to lift a good team.. Colored my view of the patrons of the lower bowl if key bank.. Hopefully it's changed.. Eichel is some force of will.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Yep. That's where we sat. Standing up to cheer after a goal was always a crap shoot....

Believe it or not, in my tour of NHL arena's, I found Roger's out in Vancouver to be even a bit steeper. They have handrails everywhere and you hold on to them or vertigo will get ya.....

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Yep. That's where we sat. Standing up to cheer after a goal was always a crap shoot....

Believe it or not, in my tour of NHL arena's, I found Roger's out in Vancouver to be even a bit steeper. They have handrails everywhere and you hold on to them or vertigo will get ya.....[/Q

Was great as a kid.. It was steep but the view let me really see the game better..

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Got a royal blue Dahlin jersey for Christmas. The new blue away jersey.

Love it. Looks so nice. Already one of the best looking jerseys I own.

Can’t wait until things get back to normal and I can wear it to a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad