Roy or Brodeur in today's league?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I watched Brodeur night in and night out, he's the greatest goalie ever AINEC.

Ummmm...just no.
Top-10 all-time...for sure, top-5...might just squeak in but that's as far as he goes.

Roy (The playoff god) and Hasek (The regular season god) are #1 and #2 or maybe 1A and 1B might be closer to the truth.
Regardless, those two are on their own level.
Brodeur is a level below fighting it out with Plante, Hall and Sawchuck for the next 3 spots and IMO he's really only fighting it out with Sawchuck for 5th.

Either way as much as I absolutely love and respect Price, he needs at least Cup and a Smythe before he gets into an all-time great conversation.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Stylistically he was, shall we say, unique? Watch the video below, and you'll know what I mean. He doesn't fit into any era really, he's just a bit of an anomaly.

Not to mention, in my opinion, the best goalie in the history of the modern era of the NHL.

Are you saying Broduer didn't have a unique style? How many other half-butterfly goalies are there in the NHL right now?

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Please. Brodeur stole games, the only thing Luongo won was Olympic gold on a team Canada that would have won with me in goal.

Brodeur and Roy were generational, insanely good. Hasek was even better.

Prime those guys would be the best goalies in the league. Sorry Price.

So a team both Luongo and Brodeur were put on. Brodeur had the starting role but lost it with his .867 save percentage in the tournament. Then Luongo comes in and doesn't lose a game. You think the team would've won with you but team Canada didn't think they'd win with Brodeur. Interesting to say the least.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Yes, because somehow... During the POs, the game completely changes... Its almost football in the PO... Amirite? Differences in player ability in the reg and in the playoffs is inexistent. Its a variable which wad created to prop up some players and to diminish others.

For a select few athletes this simply isn't true. Roy is one of them. The numbers support it.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I honestly don't know how Roy would fair in todays game. He wasn't a particularly mobile goaltender and he's only average sized by today's standards.

I'm going against the grain here and going to say he'd only be above average at best, similar to Jean Sebastien Giguere in his career.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For a select few athletes this simply isn't true. Roy is one of them. The numbers support it.

So what happens in the PO ? He takes Performance enhancing drugs ? He becomes some kind of demi-god ? Do you believe in some kind of berserker state ?

Or are the stats just linked towards team matchups, or other much more probably causes ?

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Yes, because somehow... During the POs, the game completely changes... Its almost football in the PO... Amirite? Differences in player ability in the reg and in the playoffs is inexistent. Its a variable which wad created to prop up some players and to diminish others.

The game absolutely changes in the playoffs. It's more tactical and strategic than in the regular season. Think about the fact that you're playing the same opponent over and over again for two weeks versus playing a different team in a different city every other night in the regular season. You have to prepare differently because you're creating a game-plan to beat just one team, whereas in the regular season you don't have as much time and preparation to lay out a strategy or game plan because you have to move on to the next team the next night. Players are also probably a lot more focused and dialed in in the post-season than in the regular season, and you can't deny that there's just more pressure in the playoffs. More people watch and talk about it so there's more attention on the game, and the stakes are higher too.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Ummmm...just no.
Top-10 all-time...for sure, top-5...might just squeak in but that's as far as he goes.

Roy (The playoff god) and Hasek (The regular season god) are #1 and #2 or maybe 1A and 1B might be closer to the truth.
Regardless, those two are on their own level.
Brodeur is a level below fighting it out with Plante, Hall and Sawchuck for the next 3 spots and IMO he's really only fighting it out with Sawchuck for 5th.

Either way as much as I absolutely love and respect Price, he needs at least Cup and a Smythe before he gets into an all-time great conversation.

How exactly was Roy better? Marty ended his career with a higher sv% even though thats the one thing Brodeur haters use to harp on him. He had more Vezina's and owns the SO and Wins record. He used smaller pads and was a much better puck handler? Better SV% plus better ability on the puck. How exactly was Roy better??

Marty is the greatest all around goaltender of all time, he could do it all.

GuineaPig

Jul 11, 2011
Montréal
How exactly was Roy better? Marty ended his career with a higher sv% even though thats the one thing Brodeur haters use to harp on him. He had more Vezina's and owns the SO and Wins record. He used smaller pads and was a much better puck handler? Better SV% plus better ability on the puck. How exactly was Roy better??

Roy's save percentage is lower because he played through the '80s and early '90s when average save percentages were miles lower. Brodeur was a rookie in 93-94 when save percentages started to rise hugely.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Roy's save percentage is lower because he played through the '80s and early '90s when average save percentages were miles lower. Brodeur was a rookie in 93-94 when save percentages started to rise hugely.

Shouldn't a guy who based his entire style around angles and blocking shots have a higher sv% than a guy who based his game around moving the puck and making reflex saves? All we see in the league today are Roy clones, I don't think we will ever see a guy in the same mold as Hasek or Brodeur again. I think that adds to there legacy a bit.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Shouldn't a guy who based his entire style around angles and blocking shots have a higher sv% than a guy who based his game around moving the puck and making reflex saves? All we see in the league today are Roy clones, I don't think we will ever see a guy in the same mold as Hasek or Brodeur again. I think that adds to there legacy a bit.

Your serious? :laugh:
My goodness the main boards are really showing their age. Roy was a blocking style goalie who went down on his knees and hoped the puck hit him? Roy was as reactive as Brodeur and more reactive then any goalie in the game today.

GuineaPig

Jul 11, 2011
Montréal

When they were in the league together, Roy had a higher save percentage than Brodeur (0.916 to 0.912). The reasons Roy's career average is lower is because he played in the late 80s and early 90s when average save percentages were much lower (~0.870-890). Brodeur started playing after this period.

Roy's save percentage versus his peers was much better than Brodeur's. Roy led the league three times in save percentage, Brodeur never did.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Price in the last 2 years have been as good as Roy and Brodeur ever were in their primes.

But those two are legends because of their longevity and because they were able to replicate, or even elevate their performances in the playoffs. We can start talking about Price being on their tier historically if he strings together multiple healthy seasons in a row and carries over his regular season play to the playoffs.

This person gets it. Comparing players whose careers are done vs players who have barely played half their careers is never going to work.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Price needs to stay healthy for an entire season plus post-season before he can reliably be talked in with the Roy/Brodeur/Hasek conversation.
Because if your team has to go to your backup when they really need you every season, what good really is it having you?

That said, Roy played with large equipment - heck he was one of the pioneers of the tent jersey with strings to create 'wings' in the armpits. I do admit I recall him being more in the JS Giguere style of blocking shots more than making saves, though he did have the ability to make the reaction save when things broke down.

If he was playing today, him and Price would probably be very similar in style and ability, though it seems that emotional goalies don't seem to fare as well these days and Roy definitely is a hothead.

Brodeur I'd place above the two of them in today's game, but Hasek would be the clear #1.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

Roy is arguably the Greatest of all-time because of his playoff record.
Brodeur despite playing more seasons than Roy doesn't come even remotely close to Roy's PO resume.

Roy has PO records that are Gretzkyesk for the level they're on.

Roy has 4 Cups
Roy is the ONLY player with 3 Conn Smythe's

Brodeur is 2nd all-time in PO wins, a whopping 21 wins up on 3rd place Fuhr. Unfortunately Roy is a staggering total of 38 wins up on Brodeur.
And one can talk all they want about how that's because Roy played 42 more PO games than Brodeur did but it means that even if Brodeur did play another 42 PO games, he would have to go 38-4 in them just to tie Roy...sorry.

Roy's PO overtime record is just plain ridiculous at 40-16. No one is even remotely close to that. Hell, Roy's silly 24-6 PO OT record just with the Habs is still the most in NHL history heh (Belfour is #2 with a 20-22 PO OT record)

Lastly...
Roy played in 43 PO series over his career.
His record is 32-11.
Out of those 11 series losses, only 5 of them were in less than 7 games, only 3 of them were in less than 6.

If you were facing Roy in the playoffs, these were your odds...
You only had a 26% chance of winning in general
You only had a 12% chance of winning in less than 7 games
You only had a 7% chance of winning in 5 games or less
If you went to OT vs Roy in general, you only had a 29% of winning that game.
If you went to OT vs Roy as a Montreal Canadien, you only had a 20% of winning that game.

THAT my friend is complete and utter domination of a level that Brodeur doesn't even come remotely close to being on!
NO ONE DOES!!!
Sorry

Last edited:

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
That said, Roy played with large equipment - heck he was one of the pioneers of the tent jersey with strings to create 'wings' in the armpits. I do admit I recall him being more in the JS Giguere style of blocking shots more than making saves, though he did have the ability to make the reaction save when things broke down.

1986-0503-Patrick-Roy-001350058.jpg

That's the 1986 Conn Smythe winner right there folks.
The size of Roy's equipment didn't make Roy Roy.
Roy made Roy Roy.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
That's the 1986 Conn Smythe winner right there folks.
The size of Roy's equipment didn't make Roy Roy.
Roy made Roy Roy.

Roy did balloon up with the rest of the goalies, though.

He would use anything he could to his advantage, you know that. Roy was too competitive not to.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Roy did balloon up with the rest of the goalies, though.

He would use anything he could to his advantage, you know that. Roy was too competitive not to.

For sure but how the size of his equipment is being used against him when EVERY goalie was wearing oversized equipment is beyond me.
It's not like he took it to Garth Snow like levels.

And the fact still remains that when he won in '86, he was wearing equipment that a kid in peewee wouldn't wear today heh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad