Roy or Brodeur in today's league?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Brodeur's strength was his reflexes and reaction time. Problem is, so many teams rely on tips and deflections that I'm not sure how successful Marty's style would be today. I think the butterfly is the proper style today because of how many goals are scored as a result of a deflection.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Brodeur's strength was his reflexes and reaction time. Problem is, so many teams rely on tips and deflections that I'm not sure how successful Marty's style would be today. I think the butterfly is the proper style today because of how many goals are scored as a result of a deflection.

This is true, but Brodeur also relied heavily on preventing shots against. It's unfortunate that possibly his strongest skills can't be measured by a stat, but the guy prevented more shots from being taken at all over his career than he probably stopped. I don't care what era he played in, those skills would still let him excel. Most goalies don't pass the puck as well as a lot of defenseman, aren't mobile enough to use that passing regularly, and can't direct rebounds to the stick of his own players. Watch how many times Brodeur would prevent rebounds by kicking the puck off a shot right to his own guys to start a breakout, or how he would prevent the other team from getting zone time at all by retrieving the puck and passing it forward.

Brodeur is not the best goalie ever at stopping shots, but he's the best team goalie ever for his ability to control so much more of the game than a typical goalie does.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Price is better, until the playoffs start.

Yes, because somehow... During the POs, the game completely changes... Its almost football in the PO... Amirite? Differences in player ability in the reg and in the playoffs is inexistent. Its a variable which wad created to prop up some players and to diminish others.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Roy and Brodeur would be the #1 and #2 goalies.

Price is the best currently and is more akin to Ed Belfour when he was with Chicago and Dallas than he is either of those two. Great goalie, but not nearly as good as either of those two.

Then you have Hasek who was on another planet entirely. How he didn't win several cups with the Sabres still boggles the mind.

Saw both of them play their whole careers. They would not be better than Price, Brodeur especially.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Brodeur retired just few years ago and was decent goalie until the end even when his capability of executing his skills was vastly diminished towards latter years of his career. Brodeur would do just fine in the NHL, even better numbers than he had because today's game is more advantageous for goalies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Saw both of them play their whole careers. They would not be better than Price, Brodeur especially.

Yeah I agree. Both would be great, Hasek would probably be the best but not I'm not so sure he would be better than Price today either. Like someone mentioned above with how many tips and deflections there are today Hasek's style would not work quite as well as it once did I think. I still think he would be better than Brodeur and Roy today though.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Yeah I agree. Both would be great, Hasek would probably be the best but not I'm not so sure he would be better than Price today either. Like someone mentioned above with how many tips and deflections there are today Hasek's style would not work quite as well as it once did I think. I still think he would be better than Brodeur and Roy today though.

Actually, for all we know Hasek's style might be great against tips and deflections. He was very unpredictable and unorthodox, but that might have worked well. Who knows, but I'm certainly not going to say Hasek, of all people, wouldn't be great in today's NHL.

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand the OP's question, really. As others have said, it isn't like these two played 30 or 50 years ago. They're two of the greatest of all time, both played in the modern era, both made fundamental changes in how the game was played (Roy mostly with the butterfly - though it existed before him, he basically brought it into the mainstream and made it the standard, and Brodeur caused actual rule changes with his puck handling skills). Not sure how anyone could think that both, were they starting their careers just now, wouldn't be great.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
There's nothing wrong with the more steady Brodeur, but I would pick Roy, as I like to win Stanley Cups and that's when he steps up his game.

Even though Brodeur might be more consistent, Roy is good enough to always get you to the playoffs. And if you don't have the best team, Roy can steal playoff games better than anyone else in history, giving you a better chance to win a Stanley Cup. And I pick either ahead of any of today's goalies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Brodeur is basically Luongo except Brodeur was on the better team, his 03 and 04 Vezinas are questionable at best.

Roy was just way better, there's no comparison.

Please. Brodeur stole games, the only thing Luongo won was Olympic gold on a team Canada that would have won with me in goal.

Brodeur and Roy were generational, insanely good. Hasek was even better.

Prime those guys would be the best goalies in the league. Sorry Price.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Brodeur would not be better than Price lol. He played on a very good defensive team... hes overrated.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Lot of membering going on in this thread.

These goalies would likely be #2 (Roy) and #3 (Brodeur) in the league right now. Still fantastic goalies, but Carey Price is simply better than they were.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Am I really reading that Price would be better than Roy, Brodeur, AND Hasek if they were all playing today?....

Lolwut?

They're all about equal. It's pretty much up to what you prefer. Price has a big resume to build until he can say his career compares to the top 3 goaltenders of all time. But for the last 3-4 years, his play has so easily been at that level. In the reg. season at least, he's pretty much been at Hasek's level. We'll see how long he'll stay there and where that takes him.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
lol Price doesn't even come close to how good Brodeur is.

I watched Brodeur night in and night out, he's the greatest goalie ever AINEC. There's a reason he has the most wins and shutouts in NHL history. Brodeur carried the Devils for years, and carried terrible Devils team to the top of the conference multiple years in a row.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
They're all about equal. It's pretty much up to what you prefer. Price has a big resume to build until he can say his career compares to the top 3 goaltenders of all time. But for the last 3-4 years, his play has so easily been at that level. In the reg. season at least, he's pretty much been at Hasek's level. We'll see how long he'll stay there and where that takes him.

There's nothing equal about the 3.....

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Price in the last 2 years have been as good as Roy and Brodeur ever were in their primes.

But those two are legends because of their longevity and because they were able to replicate, or even elevate their performances in the playoffs. We can start talking about Price being on their tier historically if he strings together multiple healthy seasons in a row and carries over his regular season play to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad