Roy or Brodeur in today's league?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
both would probably be top 10 in the league especially if the league slims down goalie equipment as planned next season

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
don't know much at all about Hasek. why is he inappropriate

Stylistically he was, shall we say, unique? Watch the video below, and you'll know what I mean. He doesn't fit into any era really, he's just a bit of an anomaly.

Not to mention, in my opinion, the best goalie in the history of the modern era of the NHL.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Fleury with his best Hasek impression today

960201b1e82fad15765f03718f1bc61c.gif

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The difference between Hasek and the Hasek imitators: Hasek would have stopped it. :yo:

To answer the OP's question, I think both would be excelling just fine in the league today. They'd probably be equally as good as they were when they were in the league, too.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
both would probably be top 10 in the league especially if the league slims down goalie equipment as planned next season

I'm sorry probably?

They'd be the best goalies in the league. 1 and 2...like they were throughout their careers. Neither goalie's game was down to size of equipment. Broduer even had smaller ones than he could've used.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I'm sorry probably?

They'd be the best goalies in the league. 1 and 2...like they were throughout their careers. Neither goalie's game was down to size of equipment. Broduer even had smaller ones than he could've used.

I don't think so unless you're talking about in their very prime years

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think so unless you're talking about in their very prime years

What are you basing this on? Your Equipment size point was ridiculous.

Border just retired...he didn't look out of place until his later years. I fail to see how they're not better than Lundqvist, Price etc.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
What are you basing this on? Your Equipment size point was ridiculous.

Border just retired...he didn't look out of place until his later years. I fail to see how they're not better than Lundqvist, Price etc.

you take any of Brodeur's last 6 seasons (30% of his career) over current Price or prime Lundqvist?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
you take any of Brodeur's last 6 seasons (30% of his career) over current Price or prime Lundqvist?

You compare his number when's over the hill to their best numbers, it will obviously look bad. Yet, he still managed 45 wins and 9 shutouts, in one of those seasons.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Brodeur is basically Luongo except Brodeur was on the better team, his 03 and 04 Vezinas are questionable at best.

Roy was just way better, there's no comparison.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
This is close enough that I will give it to the superior puck handler. Brodeur is probably the best puck mover of all time when it comes to goalies. This is such a weapon.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
This is close enough that I will give it to the superior puck handler. Brodeur is probably the best puck mover of all time when it comes to goalies. This is such a weapon.

People honestly don't know the importance of that factor making Brodeur a better goalie. He's proven he can be superhuman even when facing like 40+ shots a game. He faces very little because yes his defense has been awesome throughout his career, however Brodeur's excellent puck tracking, puck handling, puck freezing, etc. skills naturally eliminates many shots especially secondary chances. Put Brodeur past his prime on the Edmonton Oilers dark era (2010-2015) and his shots against still most likely wouldn't be over 30.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't understand why this is a question. Patrick Roy was a top goaltender right until 2003. Most goaltenders today essentially play the style he popularized. Brodeur I can better understand the questions. That guy last played in 2014-2015 after all. This era is pretty different.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Roy and Brodeur would be the #1 and #2 goalies.

Price is the best currently and is more akin to Ed Belfour when he was with Chicago and Dallas than he is either of those two. Great goalie, but not nearly as good as either of those two.

Then you have Hasek who was on another planet entirely. How he didn't win several cups with the Sabres still boggles the mind.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Then you have Hasek who was on another planet entirely. How he didn't win several cups with the Sabres still boggles the mind.

... better teams than Buffalo won the Stanley Cup each year Hasek was there. In most cases far better teams.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
There is nothing about how either guy played to suggest they couldn't do the same now. Size, agility, and brains translates to most any era. The goalies that seem to be gone are the smallish, speedy acrobats. (which were so fun to watch.. think Cujo)

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Neither would be very good at all. Brodeur retired a couple years ago and was not that very good at the end. Brodeur is now 44 and Roy is 51. Goalies just can't play at that age in today's league.

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011
RoyvsBrodeurvsHasek thread in disguise. Overly discussed topic. Not going to end well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad