Roy or Brodeur in today's league?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
For sure but how the size of his equipment is being used against him when EVERY goalie was wearing oversized equipment is beyond me.
It's not like he took it to Garth Snow like levels.

And the fact still remains that when he won in '86, he was wearing equipment that a kid in peewee wouldn't wear today heh

True.. Roy was a standout before he turned into a michelin man

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yes, because somehow... During the POs, the game completely changes... Its almost football in the PO... Amirite? Differences in player ability in the reg and in the playoffs is inexistent. Its a variable which wad created to prop up some players and to diminish others.

The game is the same, but the intensity and pressure increase. And some guys struggle with that minor change. Price has a career playoff SV% that is significantly lower than his regular season SV%. Sure, you could chalk it up to smaller sample sizes, or the Habs not being a true contender, or whatever you want to tell yourself to justify Price's playoff issues. I don't have to explain any issues with Roy's playoff performances. By the time he was Price's age, he had 2 Cup rings blocking his ears, so he wouldn't hear it, even if I wanted to complain.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
1986-0503-Patrick-Roy-001350058.jpg

That's the 1986 Conn Smythe winner right there folks.
The size of Roy's equipment didn't make Roy Roy.
Roy made Roy Roy.

This. It doesn't even look like he is wearing shoulder pads :laugh:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Roy did balloon up with the rest of the goalies, though.

He would use anything he could to his advantage, you know that. Roy was too competitive not to.

And for my comment, I really only started paying attention to hockey in the early/mid90s and that was limited to HNIC and magazines.

So yes, my image of Roy was more of his Colorado days than Montreal. And of course a strong dislike of him when he was on the Habs.

And for those who are picking Price above them, probably only saw the St Louis Blues version of Brodeur and figure if that's what Roy is compared against, then Price must be better.

But Price, when healthy, is the most technically competent goalie of this time. Though Hank is definitely a top pick for being money in elimination games.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
And for my comment, I really only started paying attention to hockey in the early/mid90s and that was limited to HNIC and magazines.

So yes, my image of Roy was more of his Colorado days than Montreal. And of course a strong dislike of him when he was on the Habs.

That is only as it should be. :)

And for those who are picking Price above them, probably only saw the St Louis Blues version of Brodeur and figure if that's what Roy is compared against, then Price must be better.

But Price, when healthy, is the most technically competent goalie of this time. Though Hank is definitely a top pick for being money in elimination games.

Price has been outstanding but his resume is relatively empty outside one season in comparison to Roy and Brodeur at this point.

He needs to stay healthy and show us what he can do.

Silver Tuna

Easy on the Pepsi!!
Jun 4, 2011
Georgetown, ON
This is true, but Brodeur also relied heavily on preventing shots against. It's unfortunate that possibly his strongest skills can't be measured by a stat, but the guy prevented more shots from being taken at all over his career than he probably stopped. I don't care what era he played in, those skills would still let him excel. Most goalies don't pass the puck as well as a lot of defenseman, aren't mobile enough to use that passing regularly, and can't direct rebounds to the stick of his own players. Watch how many times Brodeur would prevent rebounds by kicking the puck off a shot right to his own guys to start a breakout, or how he would prevent the other team from getting zone time at all by retrieving the puck and passing it forward.

Brodeur is not the best goalie ever at stopping shots, but he's the best team goalie ever for his ability to control so much more of the game than a typical goalie does.

So much this. You don't understand how smart brodeur was until you watched him every game. How he dictates the game flow was amazing.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
So much this. You don't understand how smart brodeur was until you watched him every game. How he dictates the game flow was amazing.

I think Brodeur is a bit underrated around here (and on some HoH threads - although their comprehensive ranking of goalies was pretty fair), especially with comments suggesting he was a "product of the system" or on good teams. Regarding the former, he was the system. I've listened to plenty of Devils alumni speak and they all concur that they were essentially able to play knowing there was a third defenseman in the rear. Concerning Brodeur playing on some good Devils teams (particularly 2000 and 2001), last I checked Roy played for some pretty fine Canadiens squads himself.

That said, I prefer tiers of players than discrete rankings. Too much subjectivity, minutia and abilities not tracked via stats for a definitive who is better than who. Brodeur, Hasek and Roy are all top 5 imo; maybe Price will be, but a substantial body of work needs to be compiled before he is anywhere remotely close to that tier.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
This is true, but Brodeur also relied heavily on preventing shots against. It's unfortunate that possibly his strongest skills can't be measured by a stat, but the guy prevented more shots from being taken at all over his career than he probably stopped.

That is a ridiculous amount of hyperbole. I thought most estimates were being generous to give him 1-3 shots a game prevented by his puck handling etc.

Brodeur is not the best goalie ever at stopping shots, but he's the best team goalie ever for his ability to control so much more of the game than a typical goalie does.

Possibly..

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur would all be the best goaltenders in the league today. Some years they might be slightly below Price, other years they might be above him.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur would all be the best goaltenders in the league today. Some years they might be slightly below Price, other years they might be above him.

I don't know. That's tough to say for me. The quality of goaltending has gone up significantly.

It's easy to say that those guys would dominate a "dead puck era" because they dominated a high scoring era, but a big reason behind this era being lower scoring is the quality of modern day goaltenders.

They are so much smarter and far more patient.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Brodeur was good enough when he was obviously over the hill to be a big part of the 2012 Devils SC Finals run.

Roy would yell at himself in pure disgust and anger until he gained the skill necessary to be a top netminder in today's NHL. Also, the early 2ks weren't THAT different from today.

No worries on both sides. They would be considered cream of the crop today as they were in the past.

How would they compare to Price is the question. In fact, comparing Price to Price is a question, what's with all the injuries and the inconsistent early years.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
I don't know. That's tough to say for me. The quality of goaltending has gone up significantly.

It's easy to say that those guys would dominate a "dead puck era" because they dominated a high scoring era, but a big reason behind this era being lower scoring is the quality of modern day goaltenders.

They are so much smarter and far more patient.

Uhh, I attribute it to the mastery of the butterfly technique.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Uhh, I attribute it to the mastery of the butterfly technique.

Seriously.. between goaltenders being bigger on average, the equipment, and defenses collapsing to block shots.. goalies can just sit there and wait for the puck to hit them a lot more often.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Honestly, it's a bit more to it than sit and wait :laugh:
Obviously the training is there to know how to 'play the percentages', but the collapsing and traffic mean that they have to be prepared to react to how the shot is going to be deflected on its way in. As well as awareness on where to direct the rebound if they can't swallow it up.

You're basically playing a game of chess against the offense, trying to predict their moves and plan out yours ahead of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad