Roy Halladay has died - plane crash in Gulf of Mexico

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Those older teams were some dark times. Between the uniforms and the players who were wearing them, it truly was just horrible to watch. But at least every fifth day you had Doc on the mound, and with him, you knew you at least had a chance no matter the opposing team.

Let’s face it, back then, we all wished we could be Roy Halladay.

Aye. Without Roy Halladay I struggle to say I'd be nearly as big a Jays fan as I am. No matter how bad the team got...no matter how much the Jays were chirped by fans of other teams...there was always that bright light.

Lots of celebrities and athletes have died...but nobody has impacted me like this.

Reactions: TF97

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
One of the many highlights of Doc's relatively brief tenure with the Phillies was the relationship he had with catcher Carlos Ruiz. It was really heartwarming to see the obvious mutual respect and admiration they had for each other:

"Roy was one of the greatest pitchers I ever caught, and an even better person and friend," Ruiz said. "I wanted to win more for him than myself.

"'Chooch' was the little engine that could for a team loaded with big names," Halladay said at the time. "But no player was more valuable to the team as a whole than Carlos. He was so humble and grateful, you couldn't help but just want to do anything for him, including win."

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Tragic event for sure. Such a solid pitcher for so long. I used to watch Blue Jay games when he was pitching and considered him magic. Apparently he was as good a man as he was a pitcher. RIP Doc.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

The guy played 10 years before his first playoff game..... and then threw a no hitter. With all that pressure mounted on him. I will always give him major respect for sticking it out with the Blue Jays and never causing a problem - hell he didn't even ask to be traded when they sent him to the Phillies. Extremely hard to find those types of people in sports.

He did ask to be traded but he wanted to try to win. He still left in high regards.

My saddest day as a sports fan though. Favourite athlete of all time. He is what you wished all athletes were like.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Little annoying ESPN has barely mentioned the fact he was a Blue Jay for 10 years.... I understand he had the perfect game + no--no with Philly but damn you really can't give Toronto/Canada a mention?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
joe sheehan's newsletter:

We like to talk about Justin Verlander like he’s Wilbur Wood; Verlander has 23 complete games in his career, not that many more than his new bride does. No pitcher born after 1980 has more than 25 complete games. Halladay, friends, is the last horse.

Reactions: Voight

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It disturbs me that TMZ (who else) is posting video of Doc's plane mere moments before it went down.

It's on TSN's front page, if anyone's interested. Don't think I want to watch it.

Reactions: KaylaJ

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
It disturbs me that TMZ (who else) is posting video of Doc's plane mere moments before it went down.

It's on TSN's front page, if anyone's interested. Don't think I want to watch it.

thanks for the heads up. I'll admit I read NTSB reports for fun, but the video/audio of someone's last moments are not something I always chose to want to see/hear

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The TMZ reports are a little disturbing, tbh. Hope they're not true.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Michael Felger on Roy Halladay’s death: ‘He got what he deserved’

Felger took issue with Halladay for allegedly seeking thrills, calling him a “moron” and “idiot” for taking the risk.
“He got what he deserved,” Felger declared. “That’s how you’re wired? And that’s how you die? Bon voyage.”
“It just sort of angers me,” Felger said. “You care that little about your life? Or about the life of your family? Your little joyride is that important to you? . . . With your hand out the window: ‘Weeee! Weeee! Yeah man look at the G-force on this! I’m Maverick, pyew pyew! Yeah man, look at this, this is so cool!’ And you die. Splat. And it’s over. So you’re that guy? You have to do that?”

During the segment, Felger also mocked racecar driver Dale Earnhardt, who died in a crash in 2001.

“Dale Earnhardt? The racecar driver who died? I root for the wall. I really do. That ain’t no tragedy,” Felger said before mimicking Earnhardt driving. “And then you crash into the wall? And I’m supposed to feel bad for you? Give me a break.”

Hahahahahahaha is this guy for real? The man died not even 2 days ago and he says he got what was coming to him? He neglects to mention that the plane was designed for novice pilots.

& to top it off he rips Dale Sr?

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I mean I know why he said it. Ratings. That's it. Everybody had to listen because they wanted to hear it for themselves. But come on. Then to top it off Dale Sr? So every racer deserves to die in your opinion? That was his job. That's what fed his family.

This was the first athlete that passed away that I got really upset about. Most of my childhood I watched this guy pitch. I've seen former players pass, most I never actually watched just seen videos of. But Halladay? These were the games I absolutely never missed because he was the ace of the team for a decade. It's still crazy to think. 2 years shy of HOF eligibility.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Felger is the same guy who seems like every year or more gets national attention because he puts his foot in his mouth and then sheepishly apologizes and everyone forgets. It's pretty obvious Felger has no idea about Icon A5 and how it was promoted

Amazing that the same guy who cries whenever an athlete has paternity leave has no problem making fun of the death of fathers

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well, looks like he'll get his 15 minutes.

What a jackass.

Everytime I see a viral video, I say it amazes me what people will do for attention.

But this is just next level. Its as if Halladay was flying a crazy plane a month after getting his license.

I mean I know why he said it. Ratings. That's it. Everybody had to listen because they wanted to hear it for themselves. But come on. Then to top it off Dale Sr? So every racer deserves to die in your opinion? That was his job. That's what fed his family.

Much like Doc, Dale Sr was one of the most respected and liked in his sport - people hated racing against The Intimidator but they also respected him for how good he was and what he did. & like you said, its what fed his family (and made them very wealthy).

Lest we forget if not for Senior's accident, race cars would not be as safe as they are today. He paved the way for safety improvements.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Everytime I see a viral video, I say it amazes me what people will do for attention.

But this is just next level. Its as if Halladay was flying a crazy plane a month after getting his license.

Much like Doc, Dale Sr was one of the most respected and liked in his sport - people hated racing against The Intimidator but they also respected him for how good he was and what he did. & like you said, its what fed his family (and made them very wealthy).

Lest we forget if not for Senior's accident, race cars would not be as safe as they are today. He paved the way for safety improvements.

I'm actually a big racing fan and even watched that race. Looking back, I feel bad cheering as he hit the wall. I'm a Gordon fan (well... Chase now :laugh:) so naturally I had to cheer, obviously not knowing the severity of it. NASCAR is one sport where it's tough to say who the best is but Dale was certainly one of the best. That was a sad day. But a legend losing their life like that probably saved others for reasons you said.

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
Roy Halladay was a work horse for the Toronto Blue Jays. I probably called the fan 590 radio station a dozen times just to praise his performance. Sometimes I would even look in the mirror and try to copy his pitching stance to try and improve myself. He was an inspiration to me and a fan favourite here in Toronto. My only regret is that we couldn’t surround him with a championship caliber team.

My deepest condolences to Roy and his family. You will be greatly missed but never forgotten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad