Roy Halladay has died - plane crash in Gulf of Mexico

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Terrible, terrible, terrible.

He is the best pitcher I ever got to see (although, i admit that Kershaw may take that mantle before his time is up), but you also heard the stories of how lovely he was as a human.

Remember when Doc took a picture of himself next to the guy in the Halladay jersey and the guy had no clue it was Roy?

This is awful.

Sep 19, 2008

He heavily influenced so many people and so many people looked up to him and he was pure class about it

Just a chill guy in particular RIP

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Absolutely f***ing devastating. My favourite baseball player of all time. It was an honour watching his career and he's the one that made me appreciate pitching. This is brutal.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
just saw the terrible news. unbelievable

never heard a bad thing about him during his career and after. always seemed like a class act all around

RIP

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Had to step out of my class when this came over the phone. He was my absolute hero as a child. I'm proud to say I was at the game just before the deadline when everybody thought it was his last game before he was traded. Was able to give him the 3 or 4 ovations he deserved. This one will take a while to get over.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I remember his no hitter in the divisional series a few years ago. That was such an exciting and fun game to watch.

I also remember he had a pitchers duel with Tim Lincecum on an April game that was 11 innings but played at such a quick pace.

RIP :(

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I don't even know what to say. My heart is just so badly shattered. I can barely process this and it's genuinely taking every bit of me not to break down completely. Him and Sundin were my childhood. Doc is the reason I'm a Jays fan. I was going through some horrible parts of my life prior to high school (things got far better after), but getting to watch Doc mow down every single lineup with consistency and getting to watch 2.5 hrs, 8+ innings, and 120+ pitches of dominance and entertainment every 5 nights were the bright spots. Our teams were mediocre to bad back then, but for one night out of every 5, we were amazing.

Thank you, Doc. For being one of the most amazing pitchers ever and an even better person.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Jays better do the right thing and retire his number

Sucks he won't be around to see it, or his likely hall of fame induction coming somewhere down the road. Damn shame he's gone so soon.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes. This is not even a question. The best pitcher in Jays history and a HOFer according to many. Great pitcher. Even better person. This ****ing sucks.

Jays better do the right thing and retire his number

Sucks he won't be around to see it, or his likely hall of fame induction coming somewhere down the road. Damn shame he's gone so soon.

They were probably waiting for his Cooperstown induction, but I can 100% see them doing it next year instead.

His birthday is May 14, so that could be a potential date.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
As a Cardinals fan, I remember the pitcher's duel that he and his friend, Chris Carpenter, had in Game 5 of the 2011 National League Divisional Series. It was beautiful to watch.

Doc was one of my favorites who wasn't a Cardinal. Amazing pitcher, better person.

Rest in peace.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I was absolutely gutted by today’s news. A significant part of my childhood was lost today. It will take a long time to get over this one, it really is tragic that he won’t be able to attend his jersey retirement in Toronto, or his Hall of Fame induction. For as great as he was on the field, he was even better off the field.

RIP Doc

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I was absolutely gutted by today’s news. A significant part of my childhood was lost today. It will take a long time to get over this one, it really is tragic that he won’t be able to attend his jersey retirement in Toronto, or his Hall of Fame induction. For as great as he was on the field, he was even better off the field.

RIP Doc

This. Very much this.

I remember losing my soccer league championship and when we got in the car it was the 6th inning and people were losing it for some kid in the middle of no hitter in his second major league game. We rushed home to hopefully witness history. Obviously things didn't work out that day but hey. Instead of witnessing history we got to witness the (semi) arrival of Roy Halladay.

It was a treat to watch him every 5th game in an era of Blue Jays baseball where it wasn't so easy to be a fan.

This news is...devastating.

Reactions: TF97

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
This. Very much this.

I remember losing my soccer league championship and when we got in the car it was the 6th inning and people were losing it for some kid in the middle of no hitter in his second major league game. We rushed home to hopefully witness history. Obviously things didn't work out that day but hey. Instead of witnessing history we got to witness the (semi) arrival of Roy Halladay.

It was a treat to watch him every 5th game in an era of Blue Jays baseball where it wasn't so easy to be a fan.

This news is...devastating.
Those older teams were some dark times. Between the uniforms and the players who were wearing them, it truly was just horrible to watch. But at least every fifth day you had Doc on the mound, and with him, you knew you at least had a chance no matter the opposing team.

Let’s face it, back then, we all wished we could be Roy Halladay.

Reactions: Paris in Flames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad