Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay elected to 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame class

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I would have Bichette 2nd and Franco 3rd then Rodgers probably. Lewis 2nd is egregious.

Franco needs to follow it up in not Rookie Ball for me to have him over Rogers/Lewis, who both have been great at their level for their age, accompanied by their tools.

No doubt I'd have Bichette #2 though.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I am curious why he should be ahead of Lewis and Rodgers. Not disagreeing with you I rarely follow other prospects so know very little about them.

Rodgers isn't remotely close. He's been older than the other three at every level, and has outproduced by Bichette at each step. His inclusion with those names is perplexing.

Lewis, I can see an argument. Though its not a great one. At 19, splitting between A/A+, Lewis accumulated 3.7 WARP (vs. Bichette's 4.8 WARP at the same levels, at the same age). The slash lines aren't remotely comparable (.292/.352/.451 vs. .362/.423/.565).

The Tatis discussion is fun. Age 19 WARP was 4.3 (vs. the aforementioned 4.8 WARP for Bichette), though that was all accumulated at A. He skipped A+, jumped to AA, and produced a 2.6 as a 20 year old, which is great. Bichette accumulated 3.5 WARP as a 20 year old, led all of AA in doubles. Better slash line for Tatis. Probably should be ranked with the 3B.

Order should be 1. Franco, 2. Tatis, 3. Bichette, 4. Lewis, about a mile of space, and then whomever you want to jam in 5-10.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Rodgers isn't remotely close. He's been older than the other three at every level, and has outproduced by Bichette at each step. His inclusion with those names is perplexing.

Lewis, I can see an argument. Though its not a great one. At 19, splitting between A/A+, Lewis accumulated 3.7 WARP (vs. Bichette's 4.8 WARP at the same levels, at the same age). The slash lines aren't remotely comparable (.292/.352/.451 vs. .362/.423/.565).

The Tatis discussion is fun. Age 19 WARP was 4.3 (vs. the aforementioned 4.8 WARP for Bichette), though that was all accumulated at A. He skipped A+, jumped to AA, and produced a 2.6 as a 20 year old, which is great. Bichette accumulated 3.5 WARP as a 20 year old, led all of AA in doubles. Better slash line for Tatis. Probably should be ranked with the 3B.

Order should be 1. Franco, 2. Tatis, 3. Bichette, 4. Lewis, about a mile of space, and then whomever you want to jam in 5-10.
He also has the benefit of playing at high-altitude Albuquerque (which I'm assuming confers a similar advantage to hitting in Colorado).

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Jansen at 89 is pretty awful.

Walks nearly as much as he strikes out in the minors, solid power, is a catcher, and puts up an equivalent of about 3 WAR over a typical catchers season in his first month in the majors. I’m still having trouble deducing how that isn’t at least in contention for at least a top 25 ranking.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Walks nearly as much as he strikes out in the minors, solid power, is a catcher, and puts up an equivalent of about 3 WAR over a typical catchers season in his first month in the majors. I’m still having trouble deducing how that isn’t at least in contention for at least a top 25 ranking.

Even just looking at the catchers they have ranked above him... if those guys managed anywhere near his 2017-18 seasons at the upper levels it would be considered an enormous success. For Jansen, though, it's just... pretty good.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I pretty much agree. I see there being a pretty clear top 3 that is a step above the rest of the shortstops in baseball and that is Franco,Tatis, and Bichette....As long as you have them as your top 3 I can accept arguments for how you rank them within that tier. I have Franco behind Tatis solely because he hasn't played above rookie ball but I am higher on him then any of the other players there.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Even just looking at the catchers they have ranked above him... if those guys managed anywhere near his 2017-18 seasons at the upper levels it would be considered an enormous success. For Jansen, though, it's just... pretty good.

Yeah, the only catching prospect I would argue is better then Jansen is Keibert Ruiz. Maybe you could argue that Bart is better, due to better tools and a high draft pedigree, but I’ll take the prospect who has shown to be able to preform in the high minors, and briefly the majors. I still don’t get the hype for Meija. Jansen is only a little bit older, has preformed better then Meija, and for all the question marks around Jansen’s defense, at least everyone is sure he’ll stay at catcher. Also the fact that the Indians were willing to give him up in two separate deals, the failed Lucroy deal, and then the Hand deal, also gives me pause. It’s never a good sign when the team that developed you is trying to trade you.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Important to note that BP, and a few others, have been sounding the alarm on his defense this winter. Not saying its right or wrong, but that's likely the reason they'll claim.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Important to note that BP, and a few others, have been sounding the alarm on his defense this winter. Not saying its right or wrong, but that's likely the reason they'll claim.
Most of what I have heard is reports that he is not a good pitch framer. I mean realistically a lot of these places just didn't buy into the turnaround with Jansen a year ago and have just committed to riding it out at this point.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Most of what I have heard is reports that he is not a good pitch framer. I mean realistically a lot of these places just didn't buy into the turnaround with Jansen a year ago and have just committed to riding it out at this point.

I agree.

Here's the HBT article crapping on him. Using Called Strikes to Find Sleeper Prospects: Catchers referencing Tomas Telis and Ryan Lavarnway as recent failed prospects who could hit decently for a catcher, but couldn't stick because of their lack of staff management skills and framing. They cite and employ Baseball Prospectus' CSAA, so its a nice illustration as to why the BP are no bullish on DJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad