Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay elected to 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame class

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Not sure if anybody the answer to this, but I thought I'd ask. Rivera received 100% of the HOF vote, but I was sure I had seen on Twitter that one of the Boston writers submitted a blank ballot (meaning, he didn't vote for anybody), I thought that would count as a vote and would have meant nobody going in received 100%.

Or does the HOF eliminate ballots like that?

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Not sure if anybody the answer to this, but I thought I'd ask. Rivera received 100% of the HOF vote, but I was sure I had seen on Twitter that one of the Boston writers submitted a blank ballot (meaning, he didn't vote for anybody), I thought that would count as a vote and would have meant nobody going in received 100%.

Or does the HOF eliminate ballots like that?

From what I read, he didn’t send in a blank ballot, he just didn’t send in the ballot at all. He effectively disqualified his own vote.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Rodgers isn't remotely close. He's been older than the other three at every level, and has outproduced by Bichette at each step. His inclusion with those names is perplexing.

Lewis, I can see an argument. Though its not a great one. At 19, splitting between A/A+, Lewis accumulated 3.7 WARP (vs. Bichette's 4.8 WARP at the same levels, at the same age). The slash lines aren't remotely comparable (.292/.352/.451 vs. .362/.423/.565).

The Tatis discussion is fun. Age 19 WARP was 4.3 (vs. the aforementioned 4.8 WARP for Bichette), though that was all accumulated at A. He skipped A+, jumped to AA, and produced a 2.6 as a 20 year old, which is great. Bichette accumulated 3.5 WARP as a 20 year old, led all of AA in doubles. Better slash line for Tatis. Probably should be ranked with the 3B.

Order should be 1. Franco, 2. Tatis, 3. Bichette, 4. Lewis, about a mile of space, and then whomever you want to jam in 5-10.
How much better is tatis than bitchette? Also, which one would be better for dynasty fantasy?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
BP's list in general looks to just be terrible. Adell at 2 over Eloy and Tatis is highly questionable. Seems to me to be a group that just anchored in to previous ideas and aren't willing to reevaluate.

Depends on how much they think the holes in his swing can be corrected. Adell is potentially a plus in every category; a premium 5 tool athlete.

I also like him over Tatis, but I also don't think he's quite as Robles' level.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
How much better is tatis than *****ette? Also, which one would be better for dynasty fantasy?

For Fantasy? I go Bichette. Stole 32 bases last year, and had 46 extra base hits in his last 400 plate appearances. The way Tatis is trending, I doubt he steals many bases at age 23-26, so you're hoping for the home run power. Better home ballpark for Bo as well. IMO, has a better chance to remain a MIF vs. CIF. Its close though.

Not saying they're direct comps, but imagine whom you'd prefer between Trevor Story and Manny Machado (sans SS eligibility).

Reactions: ER89

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wow!

Halladay's wife says he will have no logo on his plaque.

Thats a slap in the face to the Jays.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wow!

Halladay's wife says he will have no logo on his plaque.

Thats a slap in the face to the Jays.
This is ridiculous. Hopefully, the Hall intervenes. He's a Blue Jay. It seems for whatever reason she seems closer to Philly as a fanbase. We clearly have Roy's wishes on record.

I'm very disappointed. As we broke the rules we set out for retired numbers to honor him, under the assumption he would go in as a Jay.

Reactions: phillipmike

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’m not sure I understand how they can say he’d want to go in with no specific team, when he’s said on multiple occasions publicly that he wanted to go in as a Jay, and signed a one day contract so he could retire as a Jay.

You need to respect the decision, but it sort of contradicts what Roy publicly said he wanted. Perhaps it was different behind closed doors

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I’m not sure I understand how they can say he’d want to go in with no specific team, when he’s said on multiple occasions publicly that he wanted to go in as a Jay, and signed a one day contract so he could retire as a Jay.

You need to respect the decision, but it sort of contradicts what Roy publicly said he wanted. Perhaps it was different behind closed doors
The family has always seemed to be linked to Philly more often, that's where they chose to do the public funeral and more charity work. The kid also goes to Penn State.

I thought the Hall had final say over this stuff, and the player gets input but not the final say. This seems a bit ridiculous.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The family has always seemed to be linked to Philly more often, that's where they chose to do the public funeral and more charity work. The kid also goes to Penn State.

I thought the Hall had final say over this stuff, and the player gets input but not the final say. This seems a bit ridiculous.

The Hall does have final say, but how do you tell a Widow “No” when it comes to how she wants to honour her spouse.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

He spoke his wife is not the player here. She should not have a say in this decision. He clearly said he wanted to go into the hall as a Jay.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Roy Halladay would have wanted his Hall of Fame plaque to have a Phillies hat | Bob Ford

articles like these are ridiculous when you have Halladay on record at least twice stating that it isnt even a question - he wants to go in as Jay. Even in an interview he says that he "felt like a blue jay wearing a phillies uniform."
Philly ownership has been courting this for a while. This is ridiculous. The Hall won't step in, but we have his wishes on record. I have no idea why this decision was made. It is pretty insulting to the fan base, and I don't think Philly who has a boatload of guys higher in the pecking order as Phillies would really care (Schmidt, Carlton, etc). I'm not going to attack them on social media or anything crazy, but the decision makes no sense. He had two elite years in Philly. This is worse than Dawson going in as a Cub.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
2019 Top 100 MLB Prospects

Vlad #1

You were expecting someone else? Guerrero Jr. is a potential superstar, and a hitter with the upside to win a batting title or lead the league in home runs.

8) Bo

One of the top hitters in the minors, Bichette's defensive improvements make him Toronto's shortstop of the future

42) Jansen

More Steady Eddie than flashy, Jansen is a potential high on-base percentage catcher who should help in Toronto soon

70) Pearson

Pearson threw just 1.2 innings in the regular season, but his 104 mph fastball in the Arizona Fall League showed his stuff is still electric.

84) Pardinho

Pardinho skipped two levels in his pro debut last year but still baffled hitters thanks to his advanced combination of bat-missing stuff and pitchability beyond his years.

89) Groshans

The No. 12 overall pick in the 2018 draft earned rave reviews in his pro debut for his combination of hitting ability and power.

91) K. Smith

A more efficient swing helped Smith go from a fourth-round pick in 2017 to a Top 100 prospect after his first full season.

Seven players in the top-100 is only behind the Padres, Rays (9 each, tied for most all time), and Braves (8).

Shout out to Vlad being the first ever Dominican and first ever Canadian to be ranked #1. lol

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This is ridiculous. Hopefully, the Hall intervenes. He's a Blue Jay. It seems for whatever reason she seems closer to Philly as a fanbase. We clearly have Roy's wishes on record.

I'm very disappointed. As we broke the rules we set out for retired numbers to honor him, under the assumption he would go in as a Jay.
It's pretty messed up because Roy himself said clearly that he wants to wear the Jays cap in the hall, and he signed a f***ing one day contract to retire with the team.

I feel for his family, but it's a little odd that they're saying 'that's how we want him to be remembered', wouldn't you want to honour him by having him be remembered how he wanted to? I hope the league intervenes to be honest, not sure they will against a widow though.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
One thing I will say is all the interviews I've seen regarding Halladay going in as a Jay are from 2016, which is prior to when the Jays refused to offer Halladay a job in the organization and instead he went to work for the Phillies in the spring of 2017.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
One thing I will say is all the interviews I've seen regarding Halladay going in as a Jay are from 2016, which is prior to when the Jays refused to offer Halladay a job in the organization and instead he went to work for the Phillies in the spring of 2017.
Is it said anywhere we didn't offer him a job?

Either way, that's a pretty small detail. He was with the Jay Organization for 14 years, he was with Philly for 4. Maybe that made him bitter towards the organization. But, what should be realized, this is more about the fans than the organization. He won't go down as the greatest Philly or likely even top 10 Phillies of all time. He has an argument for the greatest Blue Jay of all time. I would hope the pettiness with the Jays ownership who most of the fans dislike would have been put aside.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
So he is going in the hall of fame because he died? I understand he was a good pitcher but what if he was still alive? Just like Heath ledgers joker. Would he have still won an oscar if he didnt die? These topics always interest me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad