Round Two

SJ or Vegas?

• Total voters

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
Our stats from the regular season are nearly useless in my opinion.

We didn't have .930+ Gruabuer, Makar etc.

Plus it seems like that our bottom 6 plays a lot more effectively when they keep skating lol who would have thought?

I disagree. We never match up well against SJ. Vegas is a much better matchup for us.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Now that there’s a game 7, is there any place showing what the potential schedules would be depending on who wins, or is still undetermined?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Vegas to me clearly looks like the better team and I'd rather face Jones than Fleury... pretty easy to say San Jose for me, but either way I'm hoping the Avs can push either team. They should be as healthy as they have been in a while and Makar should be a lot more comfortable with the systems.

Reactions: lonelybadger

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I don't like the idea of Reeves running around like an idiot and McNabb is due to concuss another one of our players. SJ for me please, Mack could make Jones look like swiss cheese after putting up with Smith on a hot streak.

Reactions: Nihiliste and arun

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yes but how much can we truly get out of the Calgary series, since it could be that Calgary was simply playing awful hockey.

How much of it is us? Vs them sucking?

To me, stats go right out the window each series. We could come out and look like Calgary did in the first round, or keep going like we are.
Well regardless if Calgary played some terrible periods, you can look at things such as our offensive consistency. Grubauer playing well for the last 15+ games.

Calgary didn't play great, but I'd say it was more the avalanche playing well, than it was Calgary just being terrible.

Reactions: klozge

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Well regardless if Calgary played some terrible periods, you can look at things such as our offensive consistency. Grubauer playing well for the last 15+ games.

Calgary didn't play great, but I'd say it was more the avalanche playing well, than it was Calgary just being terrible.
Believe me when I say I hope you’re right.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
As stupid as it might to say, it could end up being apt--I wouldn't schedule the start of Round 2 on Thursday and risk going head-to-head with the 1st round of the NFL Draft. I think there's enough of a cross-over of fans in both sports that they should just let the NFL have their night and then start on Friday. One hell of a sports weekend for people who like both too.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
I've been wrestling back and forth with who I would rather play. Felt like both teams would be tough (and they would be), but as some have stated here it seems like we almost never beat the Sharks, especially in SJ.

Having said that after watching the game last night I don't think there is any question that is a better matchup for us. They are older, and slower than Vegas. I think the wear and tear of a tough 7 game series would have more of an effect on them than it would Vegas. Our speed would be very difficult for them to handle, and Fleury is better than Jones.

We also struggled at Calgary before this last series. And don't forget we are a totally different team right now than we have been at any point in the last 8 years or so.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I hope the series start on Thu. If they wait to start on Fri because of NFL it kind of waste the advantage of Avs finishing their 1st round early and getting the rest as Vegas/SJ would get two days of rest as well instead of just one like it is usually. IMO the two days rest now become an advantage as they get decent rest and they now play a team that is very well rested but very rusty because they haven't played in a week. When you win in 7 games you should be more at a disadvantage than a team that won early so they should just roll right over to the next round with only one day rest.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Wonder if other playoff teams still consider us cannon fodder, an easy matchup to roll over...?

According the main board we're going to get run over whoever we end up playing.

As stupid as it might to say, it could end up being apt--I wouldn't schedule the start of Round 2 on Thursday and risk going head-to-head with the 1st round of the NFL Draft. I think there's enough of a cross-over of fans in both sports that they should just let the NFL have their night and then start on Friday. One hell of a sports weekend for people who like both too.

I'm expecting Friday night because that's when I bought my Avengers tickets. Looks like a DVR'd game 1 for me.

Reactions: lonelybadger

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I hope the series start on Thu. If they wait to start on Fri because of NFL it kind of waste the advantage of Avs finishing their 1st round early and getting the rest as Vegas/SJ would get two days of rest as well instead of just one like it is usually. IMO the two days rest now become an advantage as they get decent rest and they now play a team that is very well rested but very rusty because they haven't played in a week. When you win in 7 games you should be more at a disadvantage than a team that won early so they should just roll right over to the next round with only one day rest.
There are a lot more important things to consider than the NFL draft when scheduling a hockey series lol

Also I'm sure the schedule is likely already done. They have to book these arenas well in advance.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There are a lot more important things to consider than the NFL draft when scheduling a hockey series lol

Also I'm sure the schedule is likely already done. They have to book these arenas well in advance.
Oh I agree. I was just responding to the NFL comment.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

There are, but from a business/advertising/viewership side you're going to want to make sure as many eyes are on you as possible. My comment was derived from the hypothetical of the NHL having a choice between Thursday and Friday. If they do, it should be Friday.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hopefully game 7 goes to OT as well

The Avs are going to be the rested team + they have more time to prepare for their opponent

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
There are, but from a business/advertising/viewership side you're going to want to make sure as many eyes are on you as possible. My comment was derived from the hypothetical of the NHL having a choice between Thursday and Friday. If they do, it should be Friday.
I'm assuming they have contracts with the venues that trigger when the previous round is over.

I also have no idea, and I am assuming lol

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Hopefully game 7 goes to OT as well

The Avs are going to be the rested team + they have more time to prepare for their opponent
I hope the coaching staff has come up with some plays to make full use of Makar and his speed. Should be interesting to see how they use him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad