Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
tenor (3).gif

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As noted in the last GDT, Carolina's gameplan seems to be based on the crappiness of their ice. Fewer passes before shooting means less chance of turnovers and more shots. The Caps have managed to win at home by playing their own game on better ice, but they still have to watch out for those quick-hit shots coming off the boards.

Capitals are LAST among all 16 playoff teams in shots per game (25.5), with Carolina 10th (32). The top 5 teams blew the curve with Colorado leading by a wide margin with a ridiculous 41 shots per game. There doesn't really seem to be a correlation between shots/game and winning a series, though, as ~half of the top shooting teams are all out.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I want Orpik to take some pain killers for his shoulders and then take the candy canes and try and break them in half at our blueline. They have had free reign entering our zone for too long. You know, Nisky and Carlson could try and help out by throwing some hits as well, but it always seems to be old man Orpik that has to rally the troops. Ovi and Willy have the offensive zone covered. It's time to b0ng some on the backend.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I want Orpik to take some pain killers for his shoulders and then take the candy canes and try and break them in half at our blueline. They have had free reign entering our zone for too long. You know, Nisky and Carlson could try and help out by throwing some hits as well, but it always seems to be old man Orpik that has to rally the troops. Ovi and Willy have the offensive zone covered. It's time to b0ng some on the backend.

This series started out reminding me of the Toronto matchup a few years ago (mainly due to the momentum and attitude/support of a team with some young, hungry talent) though the results were not exact, but it's turned into more of a parallel to the NYR tilt from BT's first season, imo, or the
Pens series from 2 years ago iirc, also not due to game by game results but instead by way of stylistic issues.

Vs the Rongos in 2015 the Caps had to figure out how to contend with NY's top tier speed. IIRC they tried to stay with the "heavy game" and blew a 3-1 series lead (though I think that was because they got AWAY from the heavy game and tried to skate with the Rangers?). A few years later the Pens solved the Caps breakout by pinching at the blue line on the boards. Trotz never adjusted.

Then last year the Caps got major credit for adjusting the goalie, roster, and gameplan as the playoffs went on. Many of us credited TR for that rather than BT, but now I'm starting to wonder given the way we've played in this Carolina series. We've changed the lines a few times and moved some bottom roster players around, but that seems to be about it. There has been no answer for Carolina's quick shooting, and it may end up being the fatal tactical flaw similar to what sunk the team in the aforementioned years.

Reactions: RandyHolt

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Advice. If holding a 3 goal lead with 10 mins to go, don't take a major penalty. If one is called, kill it off. Don't give up 4 goals and then blame someone else.

exactly THIS

>let in 4 (f o u r) goals within 4 minutes
>screw it, blame referees

main board is funny place

3-1 Caps

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
...I'm starting to wonder given the way we've played in this Carolina series. We've changed the lines a few times and moved some bottom roster players around, but that seems to be about it. There has been no answer for Carolina's quick shooting, and it may end up being the fatal tactical flaw similar to what sunk the team in the aforementioned years.

Nice recent year playoff summary there....

I have been trying to figure out Todd, and the only thing I clearly saw from a playoff coaching standpoint this year was leaving himself logical moves to do later.

Notably, starting Hagelin on 2. Expecting Carlson to play LD. Yeah we won 2 but it was clear those were not apart of an optimal lineup. Less so, even the callup of DSP. Without the Oshie injury, our 4th line stunk and doubt many would question his seemingly inevitable callup.

He gave himself easy no brainer adjustments to make later in the series. Other than the PP wrinkle of back door Nick (maybe was Blaine) I haven't noticed much at all of anything tactical. We had our blowout game 5, but other than that, its been sloppy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
exactly THIS

>let in 4 (f o u r) goals within 4 minutes
>screw it, blame referees

main board is funny place

3-1 Caps

Yup. Had Vegas shot the puck in their own net 3 straight times on that pk it would have been the ref's fault too.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Kuznetsov maybe feeling after effects of concussion. It can take a long time to get right.

Is it too early to start drinking??

I’d like to see Burakovsky moved up but I think the lineups have been fine.

I saw the rationale for Carlson on his off side. Was worth a look and it didn’t work. Todd wasn’t stubborn enough to stay with it

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuznetsov maybe feeling after effects of concussion. It can take a long time to get right.

Is it too early to start drinking??

I’d like to see Burakovsky moved up but I think the lineups have been fine.

I saw the rationale for Carlson on his off side. Was worth a look and it didn’t work. Todd wasn’t stubborn enough to stay with it

I am a bit surprised that Kuzy's play will seemingly be forever rooted in being lazy to some cough many, anytime his play is below Conn Smythe standards. And that if he is concussed he shouldn't be playing... cry me a river guys play injured likely much of the season. All because he admitted what we have all seen for a long time, stars playing lazy in preseason. Honesty hurts. That Dougie elbow Kuzy took was dirty as hell, and hurt too. Similar in look to Nicks many years back that had him on the shelf for many months including that years playoffs ft. MattyP and Keith the Good Luck Coin Aucoin trying to fill the void.

Its not too early to start drinking but stick to light domestics so you don't get fired by lunch time.

I am interested in seeing a Bura for Vrana swap if we are sloppy and not getting scoring chances.

You nailed it. Todd wasn't stubborn and made the logical moves. Coaches err by waiting until desperation time to try something as simple as playing a guy in his natural spot.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I am a bit surprised that Kuzy's play will seemingly be forever rooted in being lazy to some cough many, anytime his play is below Conn Smythe standards. And that if he is concussed he shouldn't be playing... cry me a river guys play injured likley much of the season. All because he admitted what we have all seen for a long time, stars playing lazy in preseason. Honesty hurts. That Dougie elbow Kuzy took was dirty as hell. Similar in look to Nicks many years back that had him on the shelf for many months including that years playoffs ft. MattyP and Keith the Good Luck Coin Aucoin trying to fill the void.

Its not too early to start drinking but stick to light domestics so you don't get fired by lunch time.

I am interested in seeing a Bura for Vrana swap if we are sloppy and not getting scoring chances.

You nailed it. Todd wasn't stubborn and made the logical moves. Coaches err by waiting until desperation time to try something as simple as playing a guy in his natural spot.

Agree with all RH. I’d like to see more of 65 especially.

I think coaching decisions have been fine.

Light domestics are definitely the way to go but it probably would be easier hiding some Wild Turkey in my coffee than walking around with a cold one.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Agree with all RH. I’d like to see more of 65 especially.

I think coaching decisions have been fine.

Light domestics are definitely the way to go but it probably would be easier hiding some Wild Turkey in my coffee than walking around with a cold one.

Back in the day of underage public drinking, I am sure some ahem punks used these hide a beer labels... I seem to recall.... Spite. Of course just sticking a beer can in a McDonalds cup worked beautifully. Go ahead and use the straw. Mixed drinks? Go with Coffee commuter mugs... bonus : spill proof. This is all stuff I read on the internets of course

beer-can-wraps-xl.jpg

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bura has shown some flashes of brilliance but just hasn’t finished his chances (classic). He’s definitely been better than Vrana who looks to be trying too hard in the physicality department instead of playing his game

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
My beer league team has a game tonight. Our roster for tonight is pretty much all non caps fans. I’ll be shocked if we can field a team
I was hoping for a Win Monday so I could play tonight

Reactions: foundhockey

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Kuznetsov just seems to be processing things a half-second slower than normal, which leads me to believe that he still is shaking off cobwebs and is related to his concussion.

There was a play in Game 6 IIRC where Ovie, instead of shooting, sent a perfect pass to Kuzy while Kuzy was right in front of a wide open net. All Kuzy had to do was just to get his stick on it, that's it. And he just reacted so slow that he botched it. I think even Eddie Olczyk mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad